#1 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:52 am

Just wondering if anyone has had their ECU remapped ?

I'm considering it as a superior alternative to using a power commander for a variety of reasons, suc as the removal of low gear power limiters, adjustment of ignition timing, 'centering' of fuel injection pulses (power commanders only add extra fuel at the end of the injection from what I understand), plus a few other fundamental differences

Power commanders are in the £200-£250 price bracket, a remap costs about the same.

Is anyone running with a reflashed ECU who could give some feedback about it ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#2 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:24 am

I think this was looked into a while back and was found to be either too expensive or it couldn't be done.
I have a transit with the epic system and that can't be re mapped either.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:51 am

Interesting Celtic. I've been quoted 250 Euro plus 20 Euro return postage, with a Greek company. If i went ahead i'ld be looking for a used ECU to send, just in case.

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:32 pm

Here's where I got on it...

https://sites.google...bit-ecus/yamaha

Credit given to Samios Motorsport. I contacted Samios and they quoted 250 Euro.

I also have a KLine ECU reader/programmer and will think about having a go myself

Here's the link to the Samios/TDM900 page... looks interesting http://www.ecu-flash...yamaha/tdm-900/

#5 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:21 pm

That's done absolutely nothing for the fuelling glitch below 3000 rpm

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:23 pm

That's done absolutely nothing for the fuelling glitch below 3000 rpm

Whar did you have done ?

#7 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:49 pm

Whar did you have done ?

Looking on the chart on the Greek site.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:50 pm

re-flash offer:

New fuel tables

New ignition timing tables

New rev limit at 9.300 rpm

Disable AIS valve

Disable O2 function

Disable low gear power limiters

Disable Deceleration fuel cut for perfect throttle responce

New fan working range opens 98 and close at 94 degrees celsius

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:34 pm

I cant see a glitch on the red ( unmodified map) line ?

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:53 pm

There is a Greek TDM forum Chris, may need to log in possibly !!

http://www.tdmhellas...php?wwwRedirect

Looks like a bit more interest on the German Forum if you want to wade through a bunch of threads.

http://tdm-forum.net...5e343c90ace025b

Edited by dablik, 01 February 2016 - 06:04 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:22 pm

Think sidey used these for his Bmer

http://www.hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk/

#12 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:33 pm

Think sidey used these for his Bmer

http://www.hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk/

Seeing as these guys are so close to me, I've sent them am email asking what they do and cost etc, etc. I'm very interested to see if this is a genuine alternative to a Power Commander.

#13 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:52 pm

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

I've read the site from Greece I really doubt about their claims.

They write that they don't use any commectial tool using the common way to tune ECUs that is the OBD, but instead that they "open the ECU"...

This may be done sometime on some old ECU to access the ROM, but in this case the ECU casing must easy to open and the electronic inside clean & easy to access.

On the TDM & on many other japanese bikes this is not the case :

- the ECU cannot be opened without partly destroying it

- the casing is totaly filled with resin - this is obvious when you tap your finger on it : plain sound, no air inside.

I once tried to repair the broken ECU from my RD350YPVS. With the help of a chemical engineer I tried to remove the resin but to no avail. It was a real mess, most component markings were destroyed in the process !

Eventualy I had to buy another ECU.

Their other claim about the "reverse engineering" just made me laugth.

That said it may be possible to hack the KLine of the ECU and to extract data using OBD tools.

This is a project I have in mind but no time to do it !

Actualy there is not much power gain to expect from a TDM, better sell it and buy an R1.

Low revs torque is more easy to tune with some work on the airbox / air filter element.

I use a fiter element from a car, the result is very satisfying.

Btw the AIS is in function only when the engine is cold, it is useless to remove / disable it.

(please don't answer with YouTube videos, there is also plenty of videos there that explain that perpetual motion works...)

Edited by JBX, 01 February 2016 - 06:56 pm.

top_640.png

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:10 pm

My aim isn't that I'm ;looking for more power. Just having the same power available in every gear woudl be good. Better fuelling (without emmissions controls in mind) can only improve things

Local removal of potting epoxy isn't too time consuming. When you know where the ROM chip is

The uC is quite possibly where the maps are, in NVM, which is accessible via K-Line

The first link showed a K-Line programmer doing just that.

I tuned my Alfa 159 this way, removed the low gear power limiters (torque limiters really) and made very littlle difference to the overall peak power....but I ended up with a car which was infitiely more tractable......at the expense of the clutch !

#15 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:32 pm

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

Btw the AIS is in function only when the engine is cold, it is useless to remove / disable it.

Is there a difference between ECU versions ? My AIS works when the engine is warm too. I've disabled the flow but the AIS solenoid is obviously switching on overrun, when hot or cold.

Seeing as these guys are so close to me, I've sent them am email asking what they do and cost etc, etc. I'm very interested to see if this is a genuine alternative to a Power Commander.

I won't send them a message then if you've done it already

On the TDM & on many other japanese bikes this is not the case :

- the ECU cannot be opened without partly destroying it

- the casing is totaly filled with resin - this is obvious when you tap your finger on it : plain sound, no air inside.

I once tried to repair the broken ECU from my RD350YPVS. With the help of a chemical engineer I tried to remove the resin but to no avail. It was a real mess, most component markings were destroyed in the process !

It isn't how I would choose to spend a weekend either, but some people do just that ! http://ecuhacking.ac...t-board/?page=1

#16 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:42 pm

What I think it shows is that both runs started differently (slightly) the run is carried out in top gear, and the graph rises rapidly at it's left end extreme to show when the throttle was opened wide, once top gear had been selected

#17 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:47 pm

To gain access to the fueling map, you need to know which command code to use.

Unfortunately these are the "manufacturer reserved codes", not the public OBD codes.

These codes are not impossible to know but you need some network analysis tools and micro-coding skills.

Not the end of the world thought !

Another point about the low gear power limiter : I don't think there such a function in the TDM ECU.

Is there a difference between ECU versions ? My AIS works when the engine is warm too. I've disabled the flow but the AIS solenoid is obviously switching on overrun, when hot or cold.

I guess you checked the AIS at idle when the engine is warm ???

Quoted from the workshop manual :

Ordinarily, the air cut-off valve opens to allow the air to flow during idle and closes to cut off the flow when the motorcycle is being driven. However, if the coolant temperature is below the specified value, the air cut-off valve remains open and allows the air to flow into the exhaust pipe until the temperature becomes higher than the specified value.

top_640.png

#18 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:59 pm

To gain access to the fueling map, you need to know which command code to use.

I guess you checked the AIS at idle when the engine is warm ???

Ordinarily, the air cut-off valve opens to allow the air to flow during idle and closes to cut off the flow when the motorcycle is being driven. However, if the coolant temperature is below the specified value, the air cut-off valve remains open and allows the air to flow into the exhaust pipe until the temperature becomes higher than the specified value.

The fuelling tables are easy to find.. You download the whole contents of the chip, the maps are clearly visible due to their structure.

To my knowledge , OBD does not provide a way to discover fuel maps.

I have been supplying a hacked OBD dongle which I produce to defeat EGR and DPF fault codes on the Fiat diesel cars and have had to study OBD quite well. At the time when the TDM900 was produced it was not OBD compliant. Is the blanked connector under the seat a diagnostic port ?  (By OBD I refer to the OBD standard, not manufacturer's own type of diagnostic system)

Regarding AIS, you have described the exact conditions I have observed. As far as I'm concerned that AIS valve needs to be closed all the time . Personal preference :) It definitely opens on overrun always, regardles of tempoerature, and I don't want that, i would rather have the momentum of the exhaust gas draw be used to draw in the fresh mixture, not air into the exhaust :)

The AIS contributes significantly to exhaust popping on overrun/deceleration, especially with non-standard pipes. Disabling AIS to reduce this effect is fairly common practice

My old Kawasaki 550 was a US import and had the same system in 1979, except it was full time and not electronically switched. It drew in fresh air and breather fumes to burn them, all an attempt to reduce emmissions to meet CARB targets in California and so on. Blocking them off was alwasy the best option, the engine ran better.

Edited by fixitsan, 01 February 2016 - 08:44 pm.

#19 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:23 pm

This behaviour - the valve statying open when the engine is under load, but only when cold, is to protect the catalyst when it is cold, from becoming saturated with the richer cold-start mixture, as well as allowing the temperature tpo rise more quickly as the unburnt fuel is ignited.

At all other times the AIS works as all AIS systems do - the valve always opens on deceleration

#20 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:24 pm

Thanks for the answer !

To my knowledge there is not compliance on OBD II on bikes.

However some brands put OBD connectors on their bikes (Ducati / BMW...).

Jap bikes do not use the CAN bus protocol, they only use the K-Line (1 wire + ground).

To get access to it on the TDM900, there is nothing except the wire between the ECU and the dash to send & receive data.

The blanked connectors (there is another one beside the ECU) you quoted are common grounding for the sensors.

I'm not sure the data may be easily changed because bike manufacturers use their own codes to get access afaik...

There is also the problem with the CRC which may brick the ECU !

top_640.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users