• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Bigbill55

Bigbill55

arrived on last train

• 6 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:09 pm

My 3VD recently began leaking coolant from the thermostat cover, It appears to be a common problem, caused by the cover warping. I removed the complete thermostat housing to investigate further, and found that the cover was quite flexible, and if I pushed the centre of the cover I could close the gap that had appeared between the cover and the housing. So I decided to make a bracket to apply pressure to the centre of the cover. Looking through my off cuts of scrap I decided on a strip of 3mm x 20mm. A bit of metal bashing in the vice, and 20 minutes later I had knocked it into shape, making sure that when the bracket was touching the centre of the housing, there was about 2mm clearance beneath the ends to allow it to pull down when tightened. The holes were marked and drilled, and the excess cut off the ends. A couple of coats of paint and it was done. It has pulled the cover flush with the housing all the way round. Hope this idea helps as it appears to be a very common problem.

Attached Files

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:25 pm

Neat fix. OEM just need another bolt or two hey!!

I also extended the wiring to thermo so that a ridiculous amount of gubbins doesn't have to be removed to access it.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:47 pm

Nice work BigBill.

#4 SingleCylinder

SingleCylinder

seems to like Carpe

• 77 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:56 pm

Looks good

I'm not lazy, just energy efficient...

#5 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:57 am

Clever !  :good:

Bjørge

#6 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:06 am

very good.  a few weeks ago a chap on a Facebook TDM page manufactured an aluminium one using CNC milling machines or such loike. 

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:19 pm

looks good, might just do this anyways when I replace the cyl head

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#8 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:30 pm

looks good, might just do this anyways when I replace the cyl head

agreed as it's a bit of a faff to fix when it goes wrong so prevention is better than cure plus it's one less thing to be concerned about.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#9 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:56 pm

clever fix! one for the archives of TDM ownership. :good:

Edited by Pedro, 13 January 2020 - 05:56 pm.

#10 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:43 pm

very good.  a few weeks ago a chap on a Facebook TDM page manufactured an aluminium one using CNC milling machines or such loike. 

CNC a bracket like that would be expensive in alloy.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#11 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:32 pm

I know a guy that could probably cast that thermostat housing in alloy fairly easily, would just need the face flattening, would need a housing to make the mould though.

Nothing happens quickly with him though.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#12 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:03 pm

CNC a bracket like that would be expensive in alloy.

i'd imagine so,  a few of us quizzed him on cost but i think he did it as a 'homer' at his work place so no costs were mentioned.

#13 Bigbill55

Bigbill55

arrived on last train

• 6 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:12 am

It would be difficult to face a casting, because if you look closely it has a raised part where the O ring sits. It isn't completely flat. After taking a few measurements with a vernier I found that even with the raised part it only pushed the O ring just past the edge of the taper in the housing. the O ring sits about 1 mm from the bottom of the recess  in the housing. Without the raised part in the cover the O ring would sit on the edge of the tapered lead, and wouldn't reach the flat part of the recess.

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:54 am

I had noticed a "deposit" on clutch case that left a residue.. not a bird plop. On washing the boike today oi noticed the tell tale trail on cam cover and a single drop from bottom of thermo... Hgarrrrg (getting warmed up for talk like a pirate day).

Hoorah for extended wiring. Gonna try the Bob fix.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#15 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:46 pm

Having peramgerlated on it a bit more....wouldn't it be better to apply pressure where the two extra bolts should have been rather than where the already 2 inadequate bolts are? Press down bits needs to to poopoodockular to existing bolts.

#16 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:01 pm

I've recently had the same leak issue from mine, and got a second hand thermo housing which leaked worse than the original. (Obvs didn't realise this until I'd filled the system and re-run). 

I found the same problem in that it warps, and with pressure you can close the gap. I in the end had to seal both sides with silicon sealant. 

However, watch out, because after I'd done this, although it fixed the leak from the housing, it then started leaking from the hose from the engine and then to the housing, so they both also had to be PTFE taped and sealed to stop those from leaking. All dry now though. You'd of thought after 29 years she'd of stopped wetting herself. 

#17 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:05 pm

I last repaired mine prolly 10+ years ago so it's done ok but I just don't like how badly designed it is.

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:13 pm

I remember looking at mine when it leaked and thought it'd need some ingenuity to design a bracket that puts equal pressure on the thermostat housing cap.

From memory, doesn't the 9'er thermostat housing have a metal cap ?  Might be worth seeing if the thermostat is swappable/moddable ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#19 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:31 pm

Thanks for sharing your solution! Will check my bike now ...

#20 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:58 pm

I dunno oubt boubt 9er thermo/cap SR but worth a look.

It's such an akurd shape. An exhaust style clamp what pulls the two faces together as it tightened would be neat .... But think one of the plastic tube connections would prolly be in the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users