CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:31 pm

Hi Carpe chums.

I've been awfully quiet on here in the last couple of years, and with the rapid onset of my half-century next week I thought I'd say hello and keep you informed of my continued existence.

My last post was about how I hadn't been using my beloved TDM  ( http://www.carpe-tdm...topic=35965&hl= ), which is now over 2 years ago.  The issue was some hip pain, which at the time of my last post was still giving me gyp. Since then I got fed up with trying to get any joy out of physios and the doc, and went researching on my own.  I found a YouTube channel called Upright Health, and nicked some of their strengthening exercises, as well as making myself go walking a mile or two every day at lunchtimes.  I managed to map the whole of Gorleston over a few months (it's here if anyone wants to see https://drive.google...N2K&usp=sharing ), but more importantly, as the hip musculature got stronger, the pain went away.  Fast forward a year and I now don't have any hip pain, can stand for extended periods, and could probably ride my bike.

But poor TDM has been holed up in the garage all this time, and the longer I don't ride it, the less I miss it. My free time has been taken up more and more with music - not only my own band but I'm playing bass with a couple of other outfits.  The lack of pain caused by standing for a long time is a real bonus for a gigging guitarist! I can't bring myself to sell the bike because I know I'd instantly miss it, plus an old 4TX isn't worth enough to make it a worthwhile chunk of cash. Maybe, just maybe, this summer I'll wheel her out of the garage, take off the cover and fall in love all over again.

That's all.  Happy trails everyone.

Daniel

1996 TDM850 in Yellow, Motad Nexxus, MK1 bashplate, Acerbis handguards, K&N, Xenons, Aux lamps, Bluespot calipers, Renthal 755 bars, DIY panniers, JBX-inspired gear indicator.  (Currently not on the road.)

Bikes wot I have had and dun't have any more: 1983 Honda CB125TDC, 1976 Kawasaki S1C (early KH250 stroker triple), 1986 Honda VF500F2, 1992 Kawasaki KLE500.

#2 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:13 pm

Oi Oi Dan, good to see you back on track  :good:

Can't beat a bit of constructive exercise chap.

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 26 February 2020 - 06:32 pm

Yohooo
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 26 February 2020 - 06:50 pm

Bet yer missus is well happy too. :groucho:  Been doing some exercise myself recently and already feeling the benefits, esp my lower back.

Keep up the good work Daniel. :good:  I'll be posting up some brekky meets throughout summer so keep a look out on here. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:12 pm

Good you've recovered so well. Keep up those exercises because, when you get to my age, your muscles start to just fall away. What sort of music does your band play?
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#6 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:21 pm

You know if you sold it you'd regret it. Once you swing you leg over you'll love it all over again.
Good work on the hip/exercise.  :good:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#7 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:52 pm

We're a bluesy/rocky blues-rock sort of outfit.  Trevini of this parish plays guitar with me too (as well as building our amplifiers). Website linky in my signature.

Good you've recovered so well. Keep up those exercises because, when you get to my age, your muscles start to just fall away. What sort of music does your band play?

Edited by CaptainSlow, 26 February 2020 - 07:55 pm.

1996 TDM850 in Yellow, Motad Nexxus, MK1 bashplate, Acerbis handguards, K&N, Xenons, Aux lamps, Bluespot calipers, Renthal 755 bars, DIY panniers, JBX-inspired gear indicator.  (Currently not on the road.)

Bikes wot I have had and dun't have any more: 1983 Honda CB125TDC, 1976 Kawasaki S1C (early KH250 stroker triple), 1986 Honda VF500F2, 1992 Kawasaki KLE500.

#8 BarneyS

BarneyS

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:32 pm

Almost like the old days....

It went E,S,E,S,A

#9 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:58 pm

We're a bluesy/rocky blues-rock sort of outfit.  Trevini of this parish plays guitar with me too (as well as building our amplifiers). Website linky in my signature.

Good stuff. And fun.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#10 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 26 February 2020 - 10:13 pm

I feel (or rather felt) your pain. 

Aches and pains have stopped me riding for sometime.

Redundancy, possible retirement and or part time work are going to give me time to get the 900 ship-shape and back on the road to at least see if it's worth me keeping it.

If it stops raining and warms up I'll get the cover off and see if it's still there!

;)

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#11 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 27 February 2020 - 06:32 am

yep i'm in the same boat as i am now a virtual motorcyclist that has 6 bikes sat idle.  need to get back into it.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#12 Readmarx

Readmarx

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 29 February 2020 - 11:31 am

A friend saw his GP about this affliction common amongst middle aged male motorcyclists. The GP fixed my friend with his best Paddington Bear stare and advised... if you have no physical inability to ride, put a date in your diary and get your bike ready and ensure your kit is right for whatever the conditions will be. Set yourself a long and simple route of A road or motorway. Relax and give yourself ample time. Ride to a destination, eat & drink and then turn around and go home. Whilst riding revel in what you are doing. Take this twice a month for at least four months and you should feel much better. Now piss off as I need to help people in real difficulty who are way beyond the comfort of existential woes.

Edited by Readmarx, 29 February 2020 - 11:35 am.

mother nature rides a biker

#13 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)

Posted 29 February 2020 - 01:12 pm

A friend saw his GP about this affliction common amongst middle aged male motorcyclists. The GP fixed my friend with his best Paddington Bear stare and advised... if you have no physical inability to ride, put a date in your diary and get your bike ready and ensure your kit is right for whatever the conditions will be. Set yourself a long and simple route of A road or motorway. Relax and give yourself ample time. Ride to a destination, eat & drink and then turn around and go home. Whilst riding revel in what you are doing. Take this twice a month for at least four months and you should feel much better. Now piss off as I need to help people in real difficulty who are way beyond the comfort of existential woes.

I need a doctor like that! Mine just insists on poking things where things shouldn't be poked, sending me for nose ops, giving me hearing aids, telling me I drink too much (as if there's such a thing), I think I should start smoking again just so I can be told off for something else....

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#14 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 08:58 am

Think yourselves lucky, my doctor sends me to places where they want to stick a massive camera big enough to see Pluto, in not very nice places.I'm sure he does it for fun as they never find anything.
I like to keep biking though, the Royal Enfield for the 1950's look and feel, and TDM 900 for speed and Picos de Europa this year.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#15 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:35 am

yep i'm in the same boat as i am now a virtual motorcyclist that has 6 bikes sat idle.  need to get back into it.

A bike on the road is worth two in the shed.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#16 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 11:05 am

Think yourselves lucky, my doctor sends me to places where they want to stick a massive camera big enough to see Pluto, in not very nice places.I'm sure he does it for fun as they never find anything.
I like to keep biking though, the Royal Enfield for the 1950's look and feel, and TDM 900 for speed and Picos de Europa this year.

If they did actually find pluto in there you'd have serious issues!

I've had the camera bit, it's a bit wierd to see the inside of your own prostate to say the least, and there's no diginity to had in the process, and the preparations for the black hole of calcutta aint to good either..... (there's clingons on the starboard bow,starboard bow, starboard bow, there's clingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow Jim!) :unsure2:

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

#17 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 05:15 pm

Yes the prep is horrible but since the Master Engineer passed away from the Big C in the colon best to be sure.

#18 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 08:31 pm

So back to the Gorelston hot cold ground carpedians, would one of you have been at the ferryhouse surlingham last spring sitting outside by the river? If so it may have been you that set the seed of my TDM ownership.

My memory has just poked me in the ear to remind me you said not riden it for 2 years, Doh!

#19 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:10 pm

So back to the Gorelston hot cold ground carpedians, would one of you have been at the ferryhouse surlingham last spring sitting outside by the river? If so it may have been you that set the seed of my TDM ownership.

My memory has just poked me in the ear to remind me you said not riden it for 2 years, Doh!

Between the chaps in the Band they have a mk1, mk2 and a 9r :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users