#1 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 March 2020 - 05:42 pm

Ordered a couple of Helicoils M10 x 1.5D = 15mm long but received M10 x 1D = 10mm long, when i quiried with the seller the answer i received was that they become 1.5D after application...........so am i really thick or what, surely an M10x1.5D has an insert length of 15mm oder !! 

Thanks Lee :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#2 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:26 pm

Well yes they do expand a bit according to thread pitch. If you find them still too short, I can send up helicoils up to 3D. Usually 1.5D in M10x1.25 are about 12mm closed.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#3 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 02 March 2020 - 08:38 pm

If the Helicoil says its a M10 x 1.5D = 15mm long thats what it should be when installed,thats the size of thread it replaces.Been useing them for years that does not make me an expert.

But this is my opinion. :)

#4 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:49 am

Well yes they do expand a bit according to thread pitch. If you find them still too short, I can send up helicoils up to 3D. Usually 1.5D in M10x1.25 are about 12mm closed.

It's actually 1.5 pitch Lee because a previous owner rammed an M10 x 1.5 pitch bolt in a 1.25 thread, i understand they expand a little on the pitch but the threaded area on a through bolt is 15mm long, therefore i ordered a 1.5D helicoil and they sent me a 1D and that wont stretch to 15mm long or it would distort the pitch surely but, i get where your coming from and i think this is what they are trying to tell me, if they look at the photo i sent and read the message properley i'm sure they would understand..anyway i'm on a mission and the fookers will send me what i ordered...

If the Helicoil says its a M10 x 1.5D = 15mm long thats what it should be when installed,thats the size of thread it replaces.Been useing them for years that does not make me an expert.

But this is my opinion. :)

Exactly what i think as well Mick and i've used a good few also, seems they think i'm talking about pitch...but they have sent me 10mm long NOT 15mm which i ordered..

Edited by dablik, 03 March 2020 - 08:52 am.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 03 March 2020 - 09:16 am

Push the helicoil against the bolt thread so it shows it's installed length at the right pitch, then tell them to sort it.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#6 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 09:39 am

Push the helicoil against the bolt thread so it shows it's installed length at the right pitch, then tell them to sort it.

Actually Snowbird i've just gone and threaded the bolt onto a loose helicoil till it stops on the tang and the bassad thing will stretch to 14mm :huh: :huh:  fook me, would that happen to a fine pitch then..... so currently it looks like im a Nob, gonna drill, tap and fit it at the weekend now and see, if it does fit proper then helicoils have just become a new mystery to me..... 

#7 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:01 am

It'd probably be a big longer if it was fitting tightly too as the spring outwards to grip the hole, we've all done similar.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users