Photo
- - - - -

Tdm 850 3Vd Replacement. Z1000Sm, Tracer 900...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Taras

Taras

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 65 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:00 am

Hi guys,

I am owning an oldie 1992 TDM 850 for 7 years. I like it, it keeps me rolling without any surprises every season.

But after 7 years it is getting boring to ride the same bike. In addition when I want to push it harder I'm feeling a lack of power a bit. It is fast enough, but you have to wait a bit for it :)

While looking for alternatives I've found that 850 is enormously soft comparing to some other bikes (especially the ones like Z1000 (not SX)). I do not want too hard suspension because we do not have much ideal roads.

Mostly I do in town commuting but it is essential to have my wife comfortable on a back seat during once a year long travels.

So after some research I am looking at Z1000SX and MT09 Tracer.

Did anybody have a chance to ride those bikes and can give some suggestions? I would appreciate that.

TDM 900 is my backup plan but I do not think there is that much difference between the bikes.

Thanks.

Edited by Taras, 31 July 2018 - 08:02 am.

#2 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:58 am

I didn't know we had someone from Lviv on the forum. I was there last year for my first visit. I really enjoyed my stay there and hope to go back some time. I love visiting the old churches. My father went to school in Lviv. 

Links to some reviews from members below. Remember this is for early Tracer, the new one has improved on the old one. 

http://www.carpe-tdm...=31445&p=313552

http://www.carpe-tdm...=31176&p=310333

http://www.carpe-tdm...=30836&p=310467

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#3 Taras

Taras

• 65 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:08 am

Thanks.

I am glad you enjoyed your time in Lviv. I guess you didn't travel by bike here :)

#4 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:45 pm

Thanks.

I am glad you enjoyed your time in Lviv. I guess you didn't travel by bike here :)

No. It was strange, I never saw any motorcycles in Lviv. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#5 Taras

Taras

• 65 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:55 pm

Maybe it was a wrong season?

Usually we can ride only 6-7 months per year.

During Summer we have enough bikes on a roads but not a lot.

Some people hate bikers because some of them like to ride really loud the same big streets at late night when streets are empty (because we are very crowded city). Not sure if that is common around the world.

#6 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:33 pm

I test rode a Z1000SX and it was a great bike but I ended up going for a FZ1, which also is brilliant.

They are quite different bikes to the TDM or Tracer though.  The best way of putting it is something like a TDM/Tracer is a "sports/TOURER", whereas the Z1000SX and FZ1's are "SPORTS/tourer", if you see what I mean.

That said, if you're tempted by the Z, how about the Versys 1000?  The facelift model is not a bad looking bike (old one was fugley) and uses the same engine as the SX but tuned and styled more like the TDM/Tracer.

The Tracer is good for a change being the triple though, although I've heard it's not able to take too much weight and so not great at 2 up riding with a lot of gear - not sure about that though.

#7 Taras

Taras

• 65 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:02 am

Thanks, I see what you mean.

Test rode Versys 1000 a bit, good but too big and touring oriented as for me. I need to tour only once a year but city commute for 6 months.

It seems to me that Trecer is something I am looking for.

#8 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:44 am

Yeah sounds like a Tracer would be a good call then.  I think it would be better for city commuting too rather than the Z1000SX as it'll have a higher view over the cars.

#9 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:33 am

I had a Tracer. Great bike apart from the seat and screen. 

Absolute rubbish 2 up and luggage. 25 stone weight limit

Attached Files

#10 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:02 am

Hi guys,

TDM 900 is my backup plan but I do not think there is that much difference between the bikes.

Thanks.

Big difference between a TDM MK1 or 2 and niner. I have had a Mk2 and 3 niners. The Mk2 was more fun to ride, but the niner just does everything well and will pass the wife test. You can get a good one for not a lot money too.

Ali

Edited by AliG, 03 August 2018 - 10:02 am.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#11 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:08 am

I had a Tracer. Great bike apart from the seat and screen. 
Absolute rubbish 2 up and luggage. 25 stone weight limit

Test rode this and really wanted to like it but didn't. Seat,screen,sounds petty but no bungee hooks,no under seat space,no rear weather protection,no engine braking and it looks a pig to keep clean once all the bugs etc get in there....
Is that 25 stone limit official or your own estimation ?

#12 Taras

Taras

• 65 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:55 am

Big difference between a TDM MK1 or 2 and niner. I have had a Mk2 and 3 niners. The Mk2 was more fun to ride, but the niner just does everything well and will pass the wife test. You can get a good one for not a lot money too.

Ali

Thanks for feedback but what do yo mean Mk2 was more fun? On paper 900 should be a bit more powerful, plus injector vs carb means more pull AFAIK.

#13 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:33 am

Thanks for feedback but what do yo mean Mk2 was more fun? On paper 900 should be a bit more powerful, plus injector vs carb means more pull AFAIK.

I have an old MkI and a 9er, and find the 9er to be more sophisticated, feels more modern - but has less charm.

I'm selling the 9er, but if money was no issue I don't know...and if I was to buy a bike today, it'd probably be a 9er. 

Bjørge

#14 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:49 am

Bjorge got it spot on. Having said what I did, I would choose a niner over an 850. I have got 2 niners, which says it all.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#15 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:54 am

Test rode this and really wanted to like it but didn't. Seat,screen,sounds petty but no bungee hooks,no under seat space,no rear weather protection,no engine braking and it looks a pig to keep clean once all the bugs etc get in there....
Is that 25 stone limit official or your own estimation ?

Official. Took it to the TT 2 up with luggage. It grounded all the time, no weight on the front and did a wheelie at 40mph passing a bus. 1000 miles later happy to get off it. Next time I rode it was to trade it in.

#16 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:25 am

Official. Took it to the TT 2 up with luggage. It grounded all the time, no weight on the front and did a wheelie at 40mph passing a bus. 1000 miles later happy to get off it. Next time I rode it was to trade it in.

Martin is it a good bike for rider only, plenty powerful enuf etc?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#17 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:13 pm

Martin is it a good bike for rider only, plenty powerful enuf etc?

One up yes wicki. Bags of power and handles really well. But as before seat and screen need sorting. I used a sheepskin that worked and the tallest screen  in the world. Would I have one again? Yes

Attached Files

#18 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:46 pm

ET loves his Tracer too, but someone else reckoned they were rubbish with a pillion as well, can't remember who.

I replaced my Mk1 TDM with a 900.  The 900 is a much better bike on open roads, but I still miss the low down grunt of the Mk1 exiting slow corners on twisty roads.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#19 Taras

Taras

• 65 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:52 pm

I was lucky to test ride new Tracer 900, SuperTenere 1200, MT07 and MT03 in one day.

Cutting off all other bikes, my conclusion is that Tracer 900 is not comparable to my TDM. In terms of ease of handling, power, breaks, look it is just a bike from another (upper) level, nothing to compare here.

Seat was OK to me. Screen is better than TDM because there is a screen unlike on my 3VD :) But I didn't hit open roads and do not know about full load capabilities.

So selling my TDM and looking for a Tracer!

#20 Taras

Taras

• 65 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:02 pm

OK, super short overview of other boiks :) I test rode each of them for ~5 min, so not very reliable, but much better than just reading Internet!

MT03 - super easy to handle, slow but ideal for newbies or girls.

MT07 - clutchless wheelies on a first gear, still very easy to handle, I was impressed by power.

Tracer - very good bike :)

Tenere - just a bigger Tracer, didn't notice power differences.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users