• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rip

Rip

arrived on last train

• 3 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 18 May 2022 - 08:23 am

Hi all, I'm new to all of this, I'm in my later years so please bare with me. I have just picked up a tdm 850 2000 4tx, been standing for 10 years, sonically cleaned carbs and recommissioned, bike runs and ticks over fine, but I have an issue with the fuel pump doesn't engage whilst the kill switch is engaged, I can hear the relay click when the kill switch is in the on position, but the fuel pump doesn't engage? Have bipassed and gone direct to the battery to the pump and the pump works fine and the bike starts off the button, my next step is to check regulater rectifier voltage. Is there a way to test the fuel relay or the green 5 pin relay and know what this does and is fie?

Thank you all in advance for your time and knoweledge.all input is greatly appriciated!

Thanks
Rip

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 May 2022 - 08:50 am

I thought the fuel pump on the 850 was vacuum operated (my three were), so I never heard a fuel pump operate

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 Rip

Rip

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 08:59 am

Hi early models were vacum later electric pump ,which works fine just wont engage on ignition

#4 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:21 am

If there is fuel pressure in the system you won't hear it tick, it only ticks when the bike has been left for a while, maybe drain the carb bowls (or just run for a while with the fuel tap off, long pliers should reach it via the left hand side fillet panel) and turn on the ignition to see what happens.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#5 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 May 2022 - 05:21 pm

If there is fuel pressure in the system you won't hear it tick, it only ticks when the bike has been left for a while, maybe drain the carb bowls (or just run for a while with the fuel tap off, long pliers should reach it via the left hand side fillet panel) and turn on the ignition to see what happens.

Or prob the positive wire to the pump maybe.

Edited by Catteeclan, 18 May 2022 - 05:21 pm.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#6 Rip

Rip

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 07:29 pm

Hi thanks for replying , I'm at balance stage with tank off and been running on bottle direct to battery fine and can hear pump works fine but put back as should be and no bottle just fuel in carb's and run's no pump ,relay clicks when kill switch is turned on, will run for longer laterer when home just be sure but normally pump goes pretty quickly

#7 thai850

thai850

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 19 May 2022 - 02:15 am

vapor lock maybe?

#8 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 19 May 2022 - 10:24 am

Does the sidestand switch cut the fuel pump, or is it the same relay that the kill switch uses?

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#9 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 21 May 2022 - 12:24 pm

The contacts inside of the relay may be dirty/corroded. You can pull out the relay and connect the respective pins that the relay connects when activated, with e.g. a string of wire, or a paper clip. That way, you can also rule out any other wiring issue.

Or, if you have another similar relay (laying around or on the bike), you can just try to swap it.

Edited by MipeTDM, 21 May 2022 - 12:25 pm.

#10 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 May 2022 - 09:00 pm

The contacts inside of the relay may be dirty/corroded. You can pull out the relay and connect the respective pins that the relay connects when activated, with e.g. a string of wire, or a paper clip. That way, you can also rule out any other wiring issue.

Or, if you have another similar relay (laying around or on the bike), you can just try to swap it.

+!

And if it turns out to be the relay share the part number written on the side of it. I was just about to throw a couple away, but I'll keep them for longer in case needed

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users