• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Kebab897

Kebab897

sticking around

• 33 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 23 September 2023 - 07:36 pm

So...although my 2008 came with a "full service" history book (stamps from various bike shops), I can see no specific mention of the first valve clearance check being carried out. I was happy enough to bomb around on her for first 18 months of ownership, but now... the uncertainty is starting to niggle.

She's done just over 34,000 miles and am thinking for my own peace of mind I should take the plunge & strip things down come late autumn / winter. I know first valve clearances are often in spec, but there always seems to be some bikes (assembled on a Friday afternoon?) that need some shims changed come first clearance check... possibly mine!

Have a photocopied service manual, have noted the valve clearance thread elsewhere on this site (admittedly for the 850) and am aware there's at least one person who's filmed the top-end stripdown and clearance procedure on Youtube. I have previous experience of doing the valve procedure / shim swap on my old Fazer 1000, so happy enough to DIY. 

Is there anything I need to be aware of specific to the TDM?  Will go with ordering OEM gaskets etc... 

Also, whilst apart, I intend to:

• Strip & clean the fast idle (working fine but bound to stick eventually).
  • Change the coolant. Colour looks fine and lacking obvious contamination, but for all I know it could be the original coolant.

Should I also change the camchain? It doesn't make any noise or anything so I was hoping she'd be fine for another 34k or so...

Thanks

Edited by Kebab897, 23 September 2023 - 07:37 pm.

#2 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 23 September 2023 - 10:38 pm

Go see this long but thorough thread specific to the 900.

http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=12948

Note my comment @ post #66 re cover torque and replies, and the other thread linked earlier re the coolant pipe O ring.

Replace the cross-head screws of the Cold Start Mechanism with Allen heads and lubricate the slides. There's a separate thread about protecting this unit's linkage.

I'll be doing the valves again this winter.

Leave the canchain. Zip tie it to sprockets to retain timing.

Edited by steve27bha, 23 September 2023 - 10:40 pm.

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#3 MArk2

MArk2

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 25 September 2023 - 01:05 am

The cross-head screws of the Cold Start Mechanism are Japanese Industrial standard  not pozi or philips  Mark.

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,759 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 September 2023 - 08:36 am

But if you dont have a JIS screwdriver, small mole grips will shift em.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,093 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 25 September 2023 - 01:53 pm

Errm 😳 Ill have to go lie down. A 1/4 ring spanner and a 1/4 hex drive JIS bit will get in there
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#6 Kebab897

Kebab897

sticking around

• 33 posts

Posted 25 September 2023 - 06:33 pm

Many thanks for all the responses and particularly the guidance links.

Have read through most of them, and as a result I've decided to bring this maintenance forward: started into it today :) Looks like the top coolant pipe on these bikes is just as rusty as the Fazer's, although it actually had two of them to fight with...  

#7 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 05:52 am

If the grips don't shift 'em, try carefully putting a little dent in the screw, then wellying it with a cold chisel and 2kg lump hammer.... that'll get the bastard.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#8 thong

thong

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 50 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 08:01 am

consider using a non toxic antifreeze

#9 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,759 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 September 2023 - 09:32 am

If the grips don't shift 'em, try carefully putting a little dent in the screw, then wellying it with a cold chisel and 2kg lump hammer.... that'll get the bastard.

Crikey Pete, Lee will need a stiff drink along side the lie down  :lol:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#10 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,093 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 01:53 pm

🤢
A lump hammer has no place in a precision engineering workshop. We use dead blow hammers filled with lead shot.

Edited by leehenty, 26 September 2023 - 01:54 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#11 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 07:12 pm

Hey Lee....I was joking....hopefully no one will follow my maintenance tips...

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#12 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 September 2023 - 09:07 am

A lump hammer has no place in a precision engineering workshop. We use dead blow hammers filled with lead shot.

I dunno, I reckon if you were standing behind Picard as he undid those screws you'd pretty quickly think of a use for one! 

Edited by ChrisG, 27 September 2023 - 09:08 am.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#13 Kebab897

Kebab897

sticking around

• 33 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 04:35 pm

F--K.

First, the sparkplugs had a bit of a strange colour at the tips, but carried on & removed valve cover to measure the clearances.

Have measured three times to be certain: all ten inlet and exhaust valves are under the minimum clearances specified :sorry: 

Do I need to pull the head off & inspect the valves etc.?

She was running well before the stripdown started, recent-ish oil change had nothing lurking in it etc.

Looks like mine might have been a Friday afternoon lash-together after all!

#14 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,361 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 28 September 2023 - 05:07 pm

If it's running fine I wouldn't take the head off, maybe a compression check if you are worried and sort the clearances but if it aint broke don't fix it.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#15 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,446 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 05:32 pm

If it's running fine I wouldn't take the head off, maybe a compression check if you are worried and sort the clearances but if it aint broke don't fix it.

:good: Good advise.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#16 Kebab897

Kebab897

sticking around

• 33 posts

Posted 20 October 2023 - 04:29 pm

Have fitted replacement shims for all ten valves and the clearances are now back within spec. 

Unfortunately in my enthusiasm I'd cut off the cable ties and was rotating the crank back round for TDC again (forgetting to re-insert the camchain tensioner), so of course the camchain jumped at least one tooth :unsure2: 

Am now trying to line up the Inlet camshaft's horizontal marks up again to match the Exhaust marks, but she seems a little bit out whether I advance or retard the Inlet cog around the camchain.

I've looked at James's Cam timing post from a few years back, and it mentions that the number of chain pins between the upper cog marks (ex-mark on the inlet and the in-mark on the exhaust) should be fourteen.  Just re-counted the pins and mine is also currently fourteen :)

I will insert CCT, rotate engine and check again, but wondering if this slight cog misalignment is likely to be caused by camchain stretch?  I'd assumed it would still be reasonably taut at 35,000 miles... 

#17 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,446 posts

Posted 21 October 2023 - 08:14 am

Yes, prob chain stretch. Normal to see the exhaust cam slightly behind and the inlet a little more.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#18 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 26 October 2023 - 05:06 pm

as well changing cam chain fairly easy if doing shims - i had same issues with timing solved with new chain

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#19 Kebab897

Kebab897

sticking around

• 33 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 08:41 pm

Put everything back together and sparked her up. Top-end didn't implode, which is always a good start. But... after a couple of minutes there was a very fine spray coming out of the cylinder head drain hole, and the spray was stronger when I revved her a bit. Killswitch thumped and removed myself from the garage.

Was a bit concerned before consulting Google, but it appears the problem is usually down to a gasket (often the one around spark plugs) not being aligned correctly. I didn't want to use liquid gasket when I fitted the replacement valve cover gasket as I guessed it couldn't be used again, but some part of it must have moved slightly out of position when I reseated the valve cover.

So everything removed once again. This time I used Threebond silicone gasket to hold the valve cover gasket in place.  This proved messy as my Threebond hadn't seen any action for about 15 years and did not want to come out ... until a decent squeeze made it all want come out of the tube at once. Black goo everywhere.  Anyway, all back together and started up once again, watched the drain hole for any further oil appearing. No sign of any leakage, seems all clear :good:

Haven't been out for a proper test yet due to the delightful weather, but will probably ride in circles around the neighbouring streets for a while rather than risk having her spewing out oil miles from home. 

#20 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 09 November 2023 - 08:06 pm

Good job kebab. I had exactly the opposite problem iirc...leaked using a gasket goo, but has been fine for 20+k after re using the original gasket....hey ho! That reminds me....almost time to repeat the process!! Hope the enjoy the fruits of your labours...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users