#1 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:45 am

Hi all,

Daft question, when are wheel bearings knackered? I've read threads about replacing them but not found any info about when they're on their way out. The reason I ask is that I'm getting a very noticeable droning noise from the front which can only be the bearings, but my local garage think they're fine. Any pointers?

Many thanks

#2 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:39 am

it's pretty obvious when they go. Get the front of the bike off the ground, grab the front wheel and try and move it vertically and side to side while holding a fork leg. If you feel any play, or hear any knocking something's failed. Make sure the movement/noise isn't the headrace bearings though.Just spinning the wheel with the brake calipers removed and tied up out of the way, you'll probably hear a rough grating/grinding noise if they've failed. My 2002 900 is at 99k miles now and still on the same front bearings, so they last pretty well  :good:  

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#3 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:51 am

Thanks Matlock, there's no discernible play in the bearings, just a lot of noise pitch related to road speed - worst at 60 mph.

#4 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:16 pm

sometimes they rumble, the only way to really know is to clean them and spin. if they make a shooshing noise or notchy, they are usually gone.

for what they cost, it would be easier to replace anyway if your going to all that trouble

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#5 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:11 pm

👍

#6 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:17 pm

If in doubt, replace them.

You don't want them to fail at speed!

#7 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:59 pm

what sort of noise is it? You've not adjusted your chain lately have you? 50-60mm is the play. If it's overtightened you get a whining noise.

#8 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:58 am

It's a whining or droning noise from the front of the bike that developed over the last couple hundred miles - it's not the chain. I'll replace the bearings anyway

Thanks 😊

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:43 pm

It's a whining or droning noise from the front of the bike that developed over the last couple hundred miles - it's not the chain. I'll replace the bearings anyway

Thanks

When a bearing gets noisey it's usually a cry for help

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#10 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:45 pm

My 2002 900 is at 99k miles now and still on the same front bearings, so they last pretty well  :good:  

Me & my big mouth. I washed the bike today, in preparation for MoT on Saturday and guess what? Yes, my front wheel bearings are getting noisy  :rolleyes:

I got a hearing aid fitted for the first time on Tuesday, so that's what probably made it so obvious this time :oldgit: . I last checked them about a month ago and didn't hear a peep out of the little blighters!

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#11 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:55 am

To my experience, they're easy to check when wheels come off. You'll feel the action far better than you'll ever notice with (heavy) wheel spinning.

Bjørge

#12 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 27 April 2019 - 10:44 am

You haven't recently changed the front tyre? Road noise can change with tread pattern and be amplified by the fairing

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#13 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:24 am

Haven't recently changed the front tyre. I did take the wheel out to check the bearings - they seem to be fine.

#14 ParallelTwinz

ParallelTwinz

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:19 pm

I am having a similar issue on my 93 TDM-starts about 45MPH, whining/roaring sound, less apparent on coasting than under load.  Gets really loud over 60MPH.  I put on a new rear sprocket and chain, set tension correctly and the noise persists and did not change.  It does seem to be coming from under the fairing, but hard to tell at speed.  Output shaft bearing seemed fine (checked with chain off for play), so I am wondering if I have a trans bearing on the primary gear side going out, but at only 18K miles, that seems unlikely.

One other hint-the clutch cable was backed all the way out when I got the bike at 9K miles, but the clutch works perfectly and shifts fine, other than the usual 3rd clunk that all early TDM's have (I've had three).  I replaced the rear wheel bearings already-some fool over-tightened the axle.  Front wheel bearings are worth checking, but the fact that the noise is not constant, both under load and coasting, tells me that a front wheel bearing is unlikely.  This sounds like drive line noise to me. 

I believe in looking at the simple stuff first, so going into the gearbox is far down that list.  Has anyone actually replaced a primary gear bearing?  It seems odd that it would be gone at 18K miles, but this noise is scary, and the last thing I need is for the gear box to lock up and throw me over the bars, or worse.  Thoughts?

#15 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:29 pm

Studley did it on a mk2, have a look under blogs at studleysbloggerydoodah or some such..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#16 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:01 am

Worth checking the drivechain isn't rubbing on the chainguard/rear hugger.  I fitted my chainguard incorrectly once, wrong side of the bracket, and the chain rubbed against it.

Also check the rear wheel alignment is correct.

Any reason why you didn't replace the front sprocket ?  I assume it's in great condition, no hooked teeth etc.

Worth re-checking the drivechain slack is correct, or even slackening off a bit to see if it reduces the noise, an overtightened one certainly makes the same noise you describe.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users