13 replies to this topic

#1 Lightning

Lightning

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 August 2022 - 07:05 am

To avoid annoying the neighbors (extra early starts in hot weather) I've been firing up the tdm and trying to make a getaway without sitting idling but I've noticed the old girl don't like it, seems to fart and spit a bit if you try pulling away if you don't give her a minute to compose herself, bit like mixture isn't right but I understand this is controlled by the ECU.

Is this normal or indicative of a looming issue? Runs sweet as a nut otherwise. The fast start mechanism is working fine.
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

#2 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 10 August 2022 - 07:41 am

It's always gonna be better to let it run for a minute to get the oil round, I think most engines will splutter a bit pulling straight away from a cold start, oil works better when warm too.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 August 2022 - 07:46 am

To avoid annoying the neighbors (extra early starts in hot weather) I've been firing up the tdm and trying to make a getaway without sitting idling but I've noticed the old girl don't like it, seems to fart and spit a bit if you try pulling away if you don't give her a minute to compose herself, bit like mixture isn't right but I understand this is controlled by the ECU.

Is this normal or indicative of a looming issue? Runs sweet as a nut otherwise. The fast start mechanism is working fine.

Assuming all service items are up to date, plugs are recent and the plug leads and caps aren't leaking, you could try fitting increasingly louder exhaust until you find the 'complaint level'. Once established, you just need to dial it back from there and enjoy the TDM :)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#4 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 08:21 am

Mine does this and stops if you try to go too soon from dead cold. 30 seconds of fast idle she's happy
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#5 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 August 2022 - 08:31 am

Mine does this and stops if you try to go too soon from dead cold. 30 seconds of fast idle she's happy

Mine also

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#6 Lightning

Lightning

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 08:50 am

Ooooo eeeeeee this is good news. The locals will just have to enjoy the tdm sound for a while...still running the stock cans so I shouldn't worry really!!!

#7 poppykle

poppykle

really likes Carpe

• 83 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 18 August 2022 - 06:02 am

I let mine idle just long enough to get the helmet and gloves on.  Never a problem riding off.  

#8 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 23 August 2022 - 12:51 pm

Mine too. Don't know why though.

#9 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:27 am

probably the cold start mechanism playing up. 

Im seriously considering ditching mine altogether and fitting a set of BMW F800 throttle bodies. 

#10 Lightning

Lightning

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 11:33 am

I do believe it is linked to the cold start mechanism. Although it's doing what its supposed to (I've just had it off and cleaned it as it was seized) if I push the mechanism manually to the warm position and hold it there it revs a lot more cleanly in neutral. Maybe that's just the way it is, I guess the fi on these is pretty basic compared to today's stuff.

Edited by Tdmnomore, 25 August 2022 - 11:34 am.

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 29 August 2022 - 05:33 pm

probably the cold start mechanism playing up. 

Im seriously considering ditching mine altogether and fitting a set of BMW F800 throttle bodies. 

Pray tell, why F800 throttle bodies ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#12 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 02:57 pm

Because they are the same spacing give or take a couple of mm, and they are 42mm and will breathe better

#13 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 10:50 am

Mine runs clean from the get-go, also in below-zero temperatures, regardless of cans. Has kept doing so before and after plugs, air filter change.

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 09:40 pm

I've managed to encourage mine to do this, by setting the idle RPM on the CSM to about 1900. When I dropped it back to 1500 RPM it works fine again.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users