Photo

Lands End To John O'groats Charity Run, 7th -10th May 2010 .

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#21 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:32 am

QUOTE(Moose @ Sat 24th Oct 2009, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What would be a rough itinerary for the slower ride? Moose

I depends Moose what people want to call slow.

Bearing in mind the challenge is to do it in 24hrs.

I was thinking of going down Thursday, camp over.

leave LE late Friday afternoon say 5.00 pm, travel as far as I could up the M-ways . then have a few hours kip somewhere, probably home as I'm 10 miles off the M6 about halfway up.

I think the idea was to travel the motorway section through the wee small hours so you avoid the traffic, "Midlands section" once your past Liverpool the traffic tends to calm down.

Saturday, you have till 5.00pm to get up to JoG.

Beer, meal and hit the sack.

Sunday start back home the scenic route, might stop over on say Mull and get an Island in and then come home Monday.

So for me I was taking Thursday, Friday and Monday off.

Just depends on what you think you can do.

I think I could do it non-stop on the saturday, thats one hell of a challange, the longest I've done in one go is 540 miles, Le Harve to Genieva. that was 7 am to 9pm, and on the wrong side of the road ?

I think the challenge is going to be dodging the traffic .......

Cheers, Ivan

Edited by Geordie Guy, 25 October 2009 - 07:33 am.

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#22 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:42 am

mid section on motorway no worries about being in the dark, i think i'd wanna do the first and last bits of the run in day light

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#23 Guest_RSROCKET_*

Guest_RSROCKET_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:00 pm

"Bike " Magazine October Issue had a article on JOG to LE Scenic(ish) route, 950 miles two days.

#24 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:09 pm

QUOTE(RSROCKET @ Sun 25th Oct 2009, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Bike " Magazine October Issue had a article on JOG to LE Scenic(ish) route, 950 miles two days.

Will have to get a hold of that Rob, see what they say.

#25 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:00 pm

Count me in for this one, its a great cause and should be fun ...... be bloody knackering also!
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#26 OldGreyWizard

OldGreyWizard

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:11 pm

It looks as if we have two camps here, those with limited time and need to get it done, and those who have a bit more time and want to take it in two or three stages.

If we could have say two groups. slower (two - three days), and quicker (<24hrs) both timed to arrive within a couple of hours of each other, we could have a big laugh at JoG.

If this is a go'er we need to decide what our collective ETA should be.
For me the ideal time would be about 4-6pm Sat. This would allow time to chill out meet up, drink and camp, sleep on the Sunday before making the trip home Sunday pm and Monday.

For me the best time for the quicker group would be @3am - 4am on Sat morning
Any thoughts on the idea and timings?
It looks as if Jolly Giant is keen on the quickish group.
Anyone want to lead the other one maybe two?

The most important thing is that we arrive at about the same time.

On a serious note, this cannot be a race, the objective is to get from A - B and back again safely.
Accidents do happen, I am proof of that, sitting here typing with one finger.
I want to see everyone who starts make it to the end.

OldGreyWizard
p.s I've only just told the other half I've bought another bike. Not a good time to ask for time off to do @2000 miles in four days just yet!!

#27 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• 3,312 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:25 pm

If it helps, i'm keen on taking it easy and seeing some of the countryside along the way. I've always wanted to do the run and this is a good a reason as any to get it done but i'd prefer to enjoy it rather than rag it, just my opinion

Moose

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carpe-TDM.net - A place where everyone can have their cake and eat it!!!!!

TDM900/A 2007 Black, DL650 XTZ1200 Super Ten Handguards, Oxford Heated Grips, Double Bubble Screen, Fenda Extenda, Pipe Werx Oval Black SL Zorsts, R+G Crash Bungs, Mirror Extenders, Wilbers Rear Shock with Remote Hydraulic Preload, Wilbers Progressive Fork Springs, Scottoiler Touring Kit, Clear LED Rear Light Unit, Clear Indicators, PUIG Bellypan, V46 + 2 x E41 Keyless Luggage, Black Renthal 755 Medium Road Bars with Brace, 3 x 12v Accessory Socket, Beowolf Rad Guard.

TDM has moved on, i now own a Black 2009 Honda VFR 800 VTEC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without cake, we are merely just people who ride bikes

#28 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:36 pm

i'd prolly do a twisty backroad ride down to LE, LE to JoG in 1 go, then twisty scenic roads back from JoG

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#29 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:39 am

This any use, it's a bit motorway oriented, but gives travel time of 14hrs
Mick

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#30 BigCol

BigCol

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:58 am

I'm up for this, not on a TDM though, but it is still a twin if that's acceptable unsure.gif

I'll be with the 'leisurely' group, probably similar itinery as Geordie Guy coz I can grab lodgings near Preston on the way up.

#31 MarkyMark

MarkyMark

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 981 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:50 am

My twopeno'rth

Geordie has done a sterling job having the idea and sorting out a piece of magnificent silverware. (thanks Ivan)

Hip Hip (replacement)
Hip Hip (replacement)
Hip Hip (replacement)

The idea of setting a G2G up for the Saturday evening gets my thumbs up.

We don't burden some poor sap with trying to heard cats.
I gives folks a free reign to do it the way they want to, then get together and swap war stories.
Any cups, pwyzzizz or woodden spoons can be decided [on the Saturday evening/ Sunday morning] by the participants.
And anyone who just fancies it can show up as well.

XT1200Z - Big and bouncy

GTR1400 - Chaufer the wife.
XT660Z - Fun and commute.
TDM900 - Yellow.

#32 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:33 am

Yeah I just worked this out on my Garmin, 840 mile, 14 hours & 13 minutes.

Easy do it in one hit I reckon.

#33 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:47 pm

QUOTE(markallinson @ Mon 26th Oct 2009, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I just worked this out on my Garmin, 840 mile, 14 hours & 13 minutes.

Easy do it in one hit I reckon.

Would that be a realistic possibility ? I'm only asking as I haven't a clue ? Just under 60mph average seems a bit high to me, or is it ?

To do it in under 24 hrs would mean hitting an average of just 22.5mph.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#34 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• 3,312 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:29 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Mon 26th Oct 2009, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would that be a realistic possibility ? I'm only asking as I haven't a clue ? Just under 60mph average seems a bit high to me, or is it ?

To do it in under 24 hrs would mean hitting an average of just 22.5mph.

For that length of driving it probably schedules in a couple of breaks too

Cheers

Moose

TDM900/A 2007 Black, DL650 XTZ1200 Super Ten Handguards, Oxford Heated Grips, Double Bubble Screen, Fenda Extenda, Pipe Werx Oval Black SL Zorsts, R+G Crash Bungs, Mirror Extenders, Wilbers Rear Shock with Remote Hydraulic Preload, Wilbers Progressive Fork Springs, Scottoiler Touring Kit, Clear LED Rear Light Unit, Clear Indicators, PUIG Bellypan, V46 + 2 x E41 Keyless Luggage, Black Renthal 755 Medium Road Bars with Brace, 3 x 12v Accessory Socket, Beowolf Rad Guard.

#35 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:51 pm

What do people want at the end, Hotel, B& B or Tent.

If there is a few wanting the same it would make sense to try and arrange a block booking and hopefully some discount.

cheers, Ivan

#36 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• 3,312 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:29 pm

QUOTE(Geordie Guy @ Tue 27th Oct 2009, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If there is a few wanting the same it would make sense to try and arrange a block booking and hopefully some discount.

cheers, Ivan

I'm easy, just go with the flow

Cheers

Moose

#37 BigCol

BigCol

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:14 pm

QUOTE(Geordie Guy @ Tue 27th Oct 2009, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cheers, Ivan

I would prefer Hotel/B&B but same as Moose, I'll go with the flow.

#38 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:35 pm

I think after a long blast like this a proper bed would be more appealing than a tent and if enough of us are up for a block booking, and we can arrange it asap, then we should get some good rates?
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#39 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:18 am

Moved to a new post!

Just checked dates on this and my lad will be at school doing his SATs. I'm still up for it but I'll be on my tod.

Edited by markallinson, 08 November 2009 - 06:48 pm.

#40 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:27 pm

Roll call ! for B and B.

I can have a ring around, if I know the numbers.

Ivan good.gif

Saga Lout good.gif

Big Col good.gif

Moose good.gif

What about the Fast crew ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users