#1 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 07 July 2020 - 11:25 am

As some of you may have seen I've been considering selling the TDM as I no longer need it for commuting duties due to my impending retirement in just over a month.

I have the Tiger Sport which is a great bike and used for touring and Holidays with a full luggage setup but I have been hankering for a naked roadster type bike for Sunday afternoons and tinkering with. I've pretty much settled on an XJR 1300 which ticks all the boxes but I've yet to even have a test ride (although that hasn't prevented bike purchases in the past!)

So I needed some funds from the TDM and room in the garage so I'd settled on ending my TDM ownership of some 15 years. However a few problems have arisen with that plan;

1. The Missing Red Key. I'm not sure what effect that could have on the value and saleability.
  2. Current Bike Market. It doesn't seem as bad as I thought it would but still probably isn't the best time to be selling.
  3. After bringing it back from this winters hibernation I was alarmed at smoke from the exhaust on the overrun and how lumpy it ran when testing in the garage and started to panic that there were engine issues. However this turned out to be a combination of stale fuel and too high a concentration of Fuel treatment - a tankful of fresh unleaded solved that and she was running sweetly and smokeless.
  4. This brings me onto the biggest problem - I made the mistake of taking her out for my second post lockdown ride....................... and realised I still love riding her so I can't sell.

So I have now decided she needs pampering after my wicked thoughts so I will probably be treating her to new exhausts and engine bars, for no other reason than to give her a bit of a face lift.

I am also tidying up the garage to make enough room for a third bike but that can wait until later and may have to be a cheaper model than originally planned (famous last words!)

You haven't got rid of me yet! 

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:26 pm

:lol: You know it makes sense Rob.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:58 pm

Glad you came to your senses in time!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#4 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:11 pm

whew, that was close.

Good job you went for a ride 

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#5 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:24 pm

Hello, and welcome back!!
Nice one, you won't regret it..
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#6 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:23 pm

We all do it, my head got turned by a Yamaha Nikken. I took photos of my bike all ready to jump ship and put it up for sale. Until I thought hang on what am I getting into here ?
Glad I didn't proceed with it.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#7 spike240

spike240

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:00 pm

Mmmmm. Sounds familiar.

#8 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:13 pm

Third bike ? Bikes needed is always N+1
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#9 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:30 pm

Good decision. I bought a Himalayan 18 months ago and loved it, but when lockdown came and I realised that I would be limited to trips to the shops I SORNd 1 TDM and the Himalayan. Using just the 2012 TDM, I realised how much I missed riding it, so a week or so when someone approached me about selling the Himalayan, I said yes and it went to a lovely young lady on Saturday. No regrets whatsoever and am looking forward to a weekend away on theTDM later this month.Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#10 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:54 pm

So effectively you had 18 months free use of a motorcycle.

#11 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:29 pm

I sold my 4tx to a mate and bought it back a year later after he had only done 1040km on it :)

done about 7000km in the last year and I now know I'll never sell it.

She's goin up on the lift this winter for a good inspection/clean/polish etc.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#12 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• 1,098 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 04:24 pm

I must admit knowing deep down it was going to be difficult decision if I went out for a ride - maybe if we hadn't been on lockdown I wouldn't have even got as far as such disrespectful thoughts.

I've had at least one other bike in addition to a TDM since 2008 - all have been more powerful and or more modern* with more toys but i have always got back on her with a smile on my face. * One exception to the more modern was a 1996 Triumph Sprint with some fancy fuel injection from an Italian company called Carburettros or something similar - I never did work out where to plug the laptop in on that one.

I once lent the TDM  to my son as he didn't have a suitable bike for a weekend away in Europe we had planned - I must admit to strange pangs of jealousy as I followed him on my Tiger............... 

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#13 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:23 pm

I was going to sell mine after getting the Tenere. First my wife told me I was nuts and then taking her out for a longer trip again I just couldn't. She is staying! Never get one like that again.

Rob

Now gone to N.I. on her. Bliss!.

#14 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:59 am

So effectively you had 18 months free use of a motorcycle.

Correct. I got a very good deal on the Himalayan originally and they are now fetching good prices secondhand, so I came out on top for once.

Edited by AliG, 10 July 2020 - 08:59 am.

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#15 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:53 pm

Spoken like a true Scotsman.

#16 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:17 pm

As I've written elsewhere on here I've indulged myself with a new T100 Bonneville, but the TDM's not going anywhere (other than on rides with me!).  :)

#17 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:10 am

Correct. I got a very good deal on the Himalayan originally and they are now fetching good prices secondhand, so I came out on top for once.

spoken loike a true 9er pilot  ;)      

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#18 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:34 am

spoken loike a true 9er pilot  ;)      

Ooh err missus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users