9 replies to this topic

#1 twism33

twism33

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:18 pm

Hi guys

I need some help as I have finally got my TDM on the road and the speedo isn't working. After doing a search on here it sounded like ti would be a cable or the washer in the wheel so imagine my surprise when I found out mine is an elctronic version ('99 4TX model)

It only has a multiplug in the back of the dials and a wire running down to the fron wheel with a sensor on the end. I took the wheel of and noticed there was a magnetic large washer with 2 tabs on it in the front wheel but 1 of the tabs had broken off.

Silly question but what is this part called and anyone know the best place to get a replacement one. I did try using chemical metal on it but that didnt work so it looks like the only option is to replace it

Cheers
Ryan

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:20 pm

A commonish fault on later mkII's. Someone ain't beed too careful puttin the front wheel in at some point.

Some useful info ear: http://www.carpe-tdm...l=speedo sensor
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:51 pm

5VU-2517G-00 new part number for 4TX Speedo rotor sensor.

We were just talking about this yesterday, so the number is still on my notepad.

#4 Guest_Favs_*

Guest_Favs_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:56 pm

QUOTE(twism33 @ Wed 9th Sep 2009, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys

I need some help as I have finally got my TDM on the road and the speedo isn't working. After doing a search on here it sounded like ti would be a cable or the washer in the wheel so imagine my surprise when I found out mine is an elctronic version ('99 4TX model)

It only has a multiplug in the back of the dials and a wire running down to the fron wheel with a sensor on the end. I took the wheel of and noticed there was a magnetic large washer with 2 tabs on it in the front wheel but 1 of the tabs had broken off.

Silly question but what is this part called and anyone know the best place to get a replacement one. I did try using chemical metal on it but that didnt work so it looks like the only option is to replace it

Cheers
Ryan

One of the tabs is missing from mine too, but the speedo still works ok. I suggest you check the connections & continuity of the wiring before spending any dosh.
HTH.

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:47 pm

check the 1 remaining tab is slotted exactly into the correct place and it shud then work.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 twism33

twism33

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:15 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Wed 9th Sep 2009, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
check the 1 remaining tab is slotted exactly into the correct place and it shud then work.

Cheers for the info guys - looks as if I should check the sensor and the connector under the tank first before I start spending any money

I'll let you know how I get on

Ryan

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:21 pm

Ryan check the wiring which runs down the fork leg has not been pinched or had it's insulation rubbed away by coming into contact with a brake disc. Use contact cleaner on any suspect connectors.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 twism33

twism33

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:07 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Fri 11th Sep 2009, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ryan check the wiring which runs down the fork leg has not been pinched or had it's insulation rubbed away by coming into contact with a brake disc. Use contact cleaner on any suspect connectors.

After checking the sensor, wire and connector block today I still couldn't get the speedo working - I was drawing a blank and didnt know what else to do to try and fix it.

I was sitting on the bike drinking my coffee when I suddenly realised that the speedo needle for some reason was under the pin instead of resting above it. I took the clocks out, put the needle the right side of the pin and hey presto it worked. Don't know how or why it was there but couldn't really cars as it works.

MOT next week and then out on the road.

Thanks for everyone's help

Ryan

#9 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:37 pm

Thanks for reportin back. Would never have guessed that!

Light refreshments are often a good idea at such times. smile.gif
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#10 twism33

twism33

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:47 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Fri 11th Sep 2009, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for reportin back. Would never have guessed that!

Light refreshments are often a good idea at such times. smile.gif

Yeah tell me about it

The bike was at my friends workshop and I made the revelation whilst having a coffee and watching Sarah Beeny on the TV - good times!!!!!! haha

Just finished the coffee and watching property ladder, looked at the clocks and thought I'm sure the needle shouldn't be facing 6 o'clock. As you can see it was a friday and we were working hard

Ryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users