16 replies to this topic

#1 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:31 am

I've been offered the loan of one of these to check the carburation.
Does anyone know what the proper CO2 etc values should be for a MK2?

http://www.gunson.co...t=698&item=1835

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:57 am

I can only find the emissions ferra 1999 mk2a Mick.

13.2 CO2 g/km. (CO2 - Carbon dioxide emission)

Have you read the downloadable booklet regarding multiple carb measurin' ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:28 am

Isn't that a Co tester not a co2 or does it measure both?

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#4 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:24 am

CO.
Not sure on the 850 but normal to be around 1.50 to 3.00%
Think you start at 2 turns out (Studley?) on yours and tweek in or out to get a smooth tickover.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#5 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:42 am

QUOTE(Catteeclan @ Sun 17th Jun 2012, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CO.
Not sure on the 850 but normal to be around 1.50 to 3.00%
Think you start at 2 turns out (Studley?) on yours and tweek in or out to get a smooth tickover.

Yeah
Looking around the net it seems that 3.8% is the average CO output of a normally tuned engine.
So 3% would be a good target to aim at, judging by the way it's running at the moment (dropping onto 1 cyl at tickover) it's still probably running rich.

Edited by TDMick, 17 June 2012 - 11:43 am.

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:49 pm

I'm not sure if you'll get the result you want, unless you can measure the CO level for each carb/cylinder Mick. unsure.gif

I tend to set the pilot screws using the throttle blip method, then balance the carbs, then go back to the pilots, and then back to the carb balance. That way I can set for smooth idle and also remove any flat spots up to 3000rpm etc.

Still, be very interested to know how ya get on. Have fun ! smile.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:18 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Sun 17th Jun 2012, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure if you'll get the result you want, unless you can measure the CO level for each carb/cylinder Mick. unsure.gif

I tend to set the pilot screws using the throttle blip method, then balance the carbs, then go back to the pilots, and then back to the carb balance. That way I can set for smooth idle and also remove any flat spots up to 3000rpm etc.

Still, be very interested to know how ya get on. Have fun ! smile.gif

I've no idea if it will be any help, but the offer was made along with a carb balancing kit, so I thought I'd ask the 'panel' laugh.gif
At least it might give me an idea about whether its running rich or not.

At the moment its refusing to idle on the left cylinder, and won't run properly on both until 2.5-3 k rpm, so I'm suspecting that even chucking a K&N into it hasn't leaned off the mixture any. dunno.gif

#8 matttdm99

matttdm99

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:41 pm

You can balance the carbs Much better if yo u still have standard
Down pipes my measuring the co in each pipe via the little blanked of holes
Pipe in one see what it is then pull it out block off the stuff in other and see what it is I think max 5%

#9 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:39 pm

QUOTE(matttdm99 @ Sun 17th Jun 2012, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can balance the carbs Much better if yo u still have standard
Down pipes my measuring the co in each pipe via the little blanked of holes
Pipe in one see what it is then pull it out block off the stuff in other and see what it is I think max 5%

2>1 exhaust, which is probably part of the problem unsure.gif

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:59 pm

Just fitted a 2-1 on mine and it seems to have made the under 3000rpm smoother and it's deffo more responsive. Not tweaked the carbs yet either.

Did you fit a new fuel pump a short while back Mick ? I might be confuzzlin' you wi' someone else. unsure.gif

I'm thinking that the vac pipe from the pump goes to the no.1 inlet and might be split somewhere, or possibly letting fuel into the inlet if the pump were faulty. Just a thought.

I'd nip over and have a look if you weren't so far from me.

Edited by Studley Ramrod, 17 June 2012 - 07:59 pm.

#11 matttdm99

matttdm99

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:17 pm

As long as you can measure the co at each downpipe it don't matter what system you have standard down pipes on lots of yams have the little bolts you can takeout to measure it

#12 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:21 am

Matt > after market pipes mate, nowhere to stick a probe I'm afraid

Studds . yep that was me, I was wondering whether I might have a knackered float valve that was the original cause of the fuel leak, and this might be causing float height issues leading to a richy rich rich mixture on the left hand cylinder?

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:39 am

Difficult to say for sure Mick, it could be the float height, or the pilot screw adjustment, or a carb balance, or a worn choke plunger.

You're welcome to post me them, I can set the float height and check the plungers and internals etc although you'd still need to adjust the pilots and do a carb balance.

Or, maybe you could try balancing the carbs first, seeing as you've got a tool ferrit.

#14 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:10 am

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Mon 18th Jun 2012, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Difficult to say for sure Mick, it could be the float height, or the pilot screw adjustment, or a carb balance, or a worn choke plunger.

You're welcome to post me them, I can set the float height and check the plungers and internals etc although you'd still need to adjust the pilots and do a carb balance.

Or, maybe you could try balancing the carbs first, seeing as you've got a tool ferrit.

Well I got the float valves changed this afternoon ( didn't try and faf around with float heights) and although it still only ticks over on one cylinder, it seems to run healthier.

Picks up onto both cylinders as soon as it revs up to 2.5-2.75K and revs freely

Next task I guess is to play with the pilot screws?

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:21 am

I've sended you a errrrm, ahhhh, a David Cameron. biggrin.gif

#16 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:54 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Tue 19th Jun 2012, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've sended you a errrrm, ahhhh, a David Cameron. biggrin.gif

I'd rather you send me something useful rotflmmfao.gif

Edited by TDMick, 19 June 2012 - 02:55 pm.

#17 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:54 pm

errrr, lol ! laugh.gif

How about a Jeremy Hunt ! blink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users