5 replies to this topic

#1 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 November 2021 - 01:54 pm

I've just changed the chain and sprockets on my 9'er. I've fitted a DID chain,  AFAM rear sprocket and ognibene front sprocket with one less tooth.

That all went ok as far as I know but I get a whine, which increases with speed, that appears to come from the chain and sounds like the chain is too tight. I initially set the slack to 53mm but now have set it at 60mm.

Anyone any idea abut the whine?

2008 black 900, Stebel 134db, Givi 42 ltr top box, Kapa rack, ciggy lighter, heated grips, BMW hand guards, tank bag, soft panniers, PR2s front and rear, K&N airfilter, airbox mod.,Bikevis lights, handlebar offset risers,

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,230 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 November 2021 - 05:43 pm

Could it be one of the rear bearings, such as the sprocket carrier ?

Did you check them when you had the carrier off ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,256 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 November 2021 - 05:57 pm

Did the original front have the rubber noise damping cushions? 

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#4 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,073 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 22 November 2021 - 06:41 am

smaller front sprocket may accelerate wear on the nylon chain guides affixed to the forward section of the swingarm. Cud this also be the cause of the whine?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,181 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 22 November 2021 - 01:22 pm

Could it be one of the rear bearings, such as the sprocket carrier ?
Did you check them when you had the carrier off ?

No I didn't. Eveything was fine and "quiet" before I replaced the chain and sprockets so didn't think to check anything. I'll have a look, thanks.

Did the original front have the rubber noise damping cushions?

Yes and that's partly why I decided to replace with the ognibene with the cushions. Actually it was the original part. The bike's only done 33k.

smaller front sprocket may accelerate wear on the nylon chain guides affixed to the forward section of the swingarm. Cud this also be the cause of the whine?

I hadn't thought of that. Thanks I'll have a look.
2008 black 900, Stebel 134db, Givi 42 ltr top box, Kapa rack, ciggy lighter, heated grips, BMW hand guards, tank bag, soft panniers, PR2s front and rear, K&N airfilter, airbox mod.,Bikevis lights, handlebar offset risers,

#6 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 27 November 2021 - 08:35 pm

Did you sort it?
The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Scorpion Cans. Renthal 755s,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA vario screen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

PeterM91