21 replies to this topic

#1 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:40 am

Hi chaps,now that Robin Willams down in the south west has retired, does anyone know of a place to get a stator rewound at reasonable cost? I don't expect to get it done for £50 which was what Robin charged, but a company up here in Bonnie Scotland wanted closer to £150. It only costs a fiver or so to package up and send. I suppose the alternative is to go for an aftermarket one. I need to check all the mails that Fixitsan posted on the subject. No rush, but I don't want to leave it too late. I do have one I took off the 850 when I broke it, so that is another option. That said, I would still like to get the old one rewound as a back-up for when my 2012 TDM needs one.Thanks. Ali

Edited by AliG, 19 January 2021 - 11:41 am.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 January 2021 - 01:39 pm

As you say Ali best to read through Fixits thread but I think he replaced with a bmw alternator, the mk2 alternator should fit, I packed a mk2 spare as backup on me old 9r but check his thread it was a while ago.

Is this your second now or the rewound alternator?

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:18 pm

I found an F650 fitted, but I think I need to reread the waffle I previously wrote too, because I think i currently have an 850 unit fitted and it's going well

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#4 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:26 pm

Ali

Buy a new one from Taiwan I got one last year as a spare appears to be good quality comes ready to fut including the pulsar for ignition.

https://www.ebay.co....872.m2749.l2649

Here is an 850 one but the leads need extending and plugs changed

Graham

Edited by Rallyist, 19 January 2021 - 03:29 pm.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:33 pm

Ali

Buy a new one from Taiwan I got one last year as a spare appears to be good quality comes ready to fut including the pulsar for ignition.

Graham

They're a good shout at that price, considering you don't need to get top notch joints when you swap plugs because that's (presumably) already done for you

#6 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:14 pm

Ali

Graham

Nice one Graham. Thanks. Looks decent quality too.

As you say Ali best to read through Fixits thread but I think he replaced with a bmw alternator, the mk2 alternator should fit, I packed a mk2 spare as backup on me old 9r but check his thread it was a while ago.

Is this your second now or the rewound alternator?

This is a replacement for the blue bike and will be the first. Not bad for 60,000 miles. Hardly worth getting the old one rewound at these prices.

I found an F650 fitted, but I think I need to reread the waffle I previously wrote too, because I think i currently have an 850 unit fitted and it's going well

That would be interesting as a back-up as I have an F650 too.

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:15 pm

Ali

Graham

Blimey that's cheap,good find Graham.

Edited by dablik, 19 January 2021 - 04:16 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:31 pm

https://www.ebay.co....cAAAOSw6tdf-XWw

Just saw this on Ebay for £56.69 from Preston. Even cheaper and no chance of getting stung for import duties.

Edited by AliG, 19 January 2021 - 04:32 pm.

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:03 pm

https://www.ebay.co....cAAAOSw6tdf-XWw

Just saw this on Ebay for £56.69 from Preston. Even cheaper and no chance of getting stung for import duties.

:good: 

#10 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:48 pm

I’ve still got the one you gave me should you need one Ali

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#11 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:12 pm

These guys did mine in 2017 Ali - https://www.bbbikeshop.co.uk/It was still going strong when I sold her a couple of weeks back, about 25k miles later  :good:

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#12 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 25 January 2021 - 01:43 pm

Is there a known problem with the stator on a 9'er? I would have thought it would last a bit longer?

#13 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 02:46 pm

I wouldn't say it's a problem, rather than a potential weakness. We did a survey a few years back on this and the results varied widely. The stator on my first niner failed at around 32,000 miles and the problem is you don't get any warning. Some have lasted way more than that. I have fitted battery charging warning lights on mine and my blue one now has over 60k and is just showing signs. The charging light flickers when I have the DRLs on so I am just trying to pre-empt the issue. Last time I went on a European trip I had the replacement off an 850 in the top box which we could have fitted on the roadside if required. My old one failed in France and Yamaha in Dieppe were quoting over EUR 700 for a new one, which they didn't have anyway. Just as well, as I didn't have the cash at the time to pay for one. That was back in 2011.

Edited by AliG, 25 January 2021 - 02:47 pm.

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:00 pm

Is there a known problem with the stator on a 9'er? I would have thought it would last a bit longer?

The main issue, arrived at through looking at other people's experiences, seems to be the lead-in wires where they go to the start of the windings. There's no vibration damping, no sealant, and the wires seem to vibrate and rub together. Judging by the large number which all seemed to show signs of heat buildup in that area then it looks like there needed to be a bit of protection, even sleeving, over those lead-in wires

#15 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:01 pm

So would preventative measures be possible?

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#16 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:50 am

So would preventative measures be possible?

I suppose, if i were to get a new stator which didn't have some sort of support of the lead-in wires I might put a 'good splodge' of high density, high temperature commercial RTV sealant. It sets firmer than ordinary silicon bathroom sealant, absorbs no oil and withstands the heat cycling well.

It might save a failure at 50,000 miles, if it's worth that ? Maybe it is

#17 Medmonic

Medmonic

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 08:15 pm

Hi chaps,now that Robin Willams down in the south west has retired, does anyone know of a place to get a stator rewound at reasonable cost? I don't expect to get it done for £50 which was what Robin charged, but a company up here in Bonnie Scotland wanted closer to £150. It only costs a fiver or so to package up and send. I suppose the alternative is to go for an aftermarket one. I need to check all the mails that Fixitsan posted on the subject. No rush, but I don't want to leave it too late. I do have one I took off the 850 when I broke it, so that is another option. That said, I would still like to get the old one rewound as a back-up for when my 2012 TDM needs one.Thanks. Ali

i have one from a 900  engine , if you still in need 

#18 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:59 pm

Is this a predominantly 900 problem ? I retired my first bought new 4TX at 112000 miles.My current 4TX is coming up to 50k. Touch wood no problems. It's never occurred to me tour with a spare but maybe I should.......

#19 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 31 January 2021 - 06:18 am

Is this a predominantly 900 problem ?.......

Inferior 9er parts yet again patchy,l :0) tis mostly, maybe even solely, a 9er issue. Can't remember any 850s.

There was a discussion years ago about this and the high milers were finding their 9ers would poo their windings at 75,000 ISH
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#20 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 31 January 2021 - 09:46 am

Dappers, I think it's not helped by the fact the 850 alternators are "potted" whereas the 900 are just lacquered copper wire which allows movement where all the tails meet and exit the leads, all pictures of failed stators show the failure burn area at that location. :huh: :huh:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users