• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:00 pm

Has anyone here used a rear caliper repair kit from Wemoto with the TRK brand?

I have one and the pistons are slightly too big for the caliper bores, I can't fault Wemoto's response as they have come straight back to me to get it sorted but wondered if anyone else had come across it at all.

I thought as I'm stripping the calipers I may as well put stainless pistons back in.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#2 Sphere

Sphere

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:50 pm

Just done my fronts with one of their kits, no problems, but then I didn't change the pistons.

Wemoto service is good, I'm sure they'll sort it for you.

The best thing about being old is we did all our stupid stuff before the Internet was invented, so there’s no proof.

#3 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:00 pm

Has anyone here used a rear caliper repair kit from Wemoto with the TRK brand?
I have one and the pistons are slightly too big for the caliper bores, I can't fault Wemoto's response as they have come straight back to me to get it sorted but wondered if anyone else had come across it at all.
I thought as I'm stripping the calipers I may as well put stainless pistons back in.

I was planning on ordering one of these kits but may hold off now
Just looked they do single piston and seals no branding but will probably cost an extra £20 by the time you add bleed nipples etc

Unless the caliper is wrong of course ?

#4 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:16 pm

It is a standard caliper, it's only 0.05mm oversize by my measuring, I'm tempted to take a bit out of the caliper but not sure our mill is up such a small amount.
I gotta get a siezed bleed screw out yet....

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:40 pm

It is a standard caliper, it's only 0.05mm oversize by my measuring, I'm tempted to take a bit out of the caliper but not sure our mill is up such a small amount.

My rear caliper bleed screw became liquorice when I tried to bleed it too, so what's left in there will have to come out eventually.

I did then have to bleed it still because the MOT was the next day, so I got the air out by releasing the fluid line banjo bolt half a turn out and letting the fluid flood a rag wrapped around it....and it passed, it locked up the rear wheel on the rollers at the brake test so that's good enough for me, for now......

I suspect some of us have considered this but didn't know if it would work or not......and I suspect I'm not the first one to try ;)

I changed the seals, for some  Ebay Bombay original equipment, and they don't seem to be bad.

I just wasn't in a caliper mood that day ;)

Edited by fixitsan, 20 January 2021 - 08:45 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#6 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:13 pm

0.05mm that's not a lot - that would probably fit in without the seals
Are your original pistols badly damaged ?
Just tried to put an old piston back in -fook that's tight gonna need a bit of patience and grease

#7 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:11 pm

All cleaned up the originals fit fine, that was without seals.

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:15 pm

All cleaned up the originals fit fine, that was without seals.

are the grooves behind the seals completely clear of alloy corrosion ? It's common for a caliper to seize up due to the alloy fur which pushes the seals hard from behind, into the wall of the piston.

#9 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:39 pm

I got a pair of stainless pistons and seal kits for the rear of my 1991 TDM 850 from Wemoto.fr last month.  Can't fault the service.

A couple of months previous to that I'd stripped the rear caliper, cleaned it in an ultrasonic bath, and rebuilt it with a set of dodgy caliper seals.  I can't remember where I got them from ?

However, after a few hundred kilometers, I noticed that the rear brake was dragging somewhat..... and getting worse !

Hence the new pistons and seals from Wemoto.

Stripped the caliper again and double checked that the seal groove was thoroughly cleaned and proceeded to rebuild one side of the caliper.  No problems !

The other side was a nightmare !  I had to resort to all sorts of stunts to get the bloody piston out.  I'm still in the Memsahib's bad books for using her oven. Eventually I mangled the damn thing out. The piston is now totally unusable now.  Again, meticulously checked the groove and bore.... perfect, and went to fit the new piston.

No Chance !   Even with the seals out it wouldn't fit.

I was in a bit of a mood so I rebuilt that side of the caliper with the good original piston, fitted, bled and no more binding after a good few hundred kilometers.

When I saw this post I decided to investigate a bit, here's the pics....

[attachment=13909:Original TDM 850 piston.jpg]

[attachment=13910:Wemoto stainless piston.jpg]

Not much more than a ba' hair, but enough to stop it fitting...... I should really get back to Wemoto about it ?

#10 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:22 am

The other thing which can happen is that the seals swell, apparently that can happen especially after mixing different types of brake fluids (although no experience of it myself)

If  you don't have a piston fight story yet you haven't lived :)

#11 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 06:25 am

My old pistons popped out fine with an airline, grooves have been blasted with crushed walnut shells and bores scotchbrited.
New piston goes past grooves ok it's the machines ring below where it stops dead.

I got one bleed screw out with a lot of heat and it picked up the thread a bit at the top, the other is still fighting well, it sheared off so I welded a nut over and allowed to cool, applied lots of heat and got it to budge by a half turn till it sheared again, now on welded nut 3 and managed about 1 turn so will likely need helicoiling, leaving it is not an option now it has moved as it won't be seated any more, left it in the bottom of my wash tank to soak some lube into it and will try again.

May have to resort to another caliper yet, this only started as cleaning the brake dust from the disk drillings.......

Edited by Snowbird, 21 January 2021 - 08:45 am.

#12 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:43 pm

Just got the following from Wemoto, can't fault the service from them seeing as I only contacted them yesterday:

"Further to our previous email, we have checked our remaining stock and they unfortunately measure similarly to the pistons that you have already received. Our suppliers have said the same, so we will have to quarantine and assess the stock.

We unfortunately do not have any alternatives available, but we are of course more than happy to have them or the full kit returned for a refund. We will have a pre-paid return envelope dispatched today - this can be used to return the parts and we will issue a full refund on the parts back to the account that you paid with. My apologies again for any inconvenience"

#13 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 21 January 2021 - 04:34 pm

Powerhouse kits are bang on....hth

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 21 January 2021 - 05:09 pm

Agrozzle patchy. Very knowledgeable helpful peeps.

They also do the calipot half orings.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#15 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:00 pm

I'll prolly return the pistons and keep the rest of the kit as my old pistons have cleaned up fine, just gotta get that bloody bleed screw out first though, I'll get there.

If the welded on nut shears off again I'll drill it bigger and weld down the middle and whack another nut on and try again, that usually pulls the thread in a bit as it cools to make it looser and break corrosion.

If anyone has a spare for sale you may have a buyer by next week....

#16 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:11 am

Just so's you know, I helicoiled mine and it's a right faff.  Had to shorten the helicoil and modify the insertion tool so it didn't mark the bleed screw seat. I also had to make the tang easier to break off by increasing the size of the cut.  There may be helicoils that are suited to blind holes but I like a challenge. :lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#17 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:27 am

I've already ground the end off a regular tap for it but not happy with the remains of the thread so looks like I have to do the same to a helicoil tap now, we should have one at work but I can't find it, shame as we do all imperial so I could have modded no problem and not got any grief but hey ho....

Annoyingly the bearings place just up the road would lend me the kit if I didn't have to modify the tap.

As a plus I got the other bleed screw out this morning, just waiting for the caliper half to cool down now.

If you think blind holes are a pain try taper thread helicoils, 1/8npt are a git to fit without jumping over threads.

Edited by Snowbird, 22 January 2021 - 08:28 am.

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:09 pm

I'm working my way up to taper thread helicoils. :P  Prolly helps having the right tools and parts for the job.  I was using a junior hacksaw, small pliers and a micro file to modify the helicoil. :D

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#19 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:18 am

Anyone know the size and pitch of the nipples? Fancy some stainless.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#20 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:58 am

Anyone know the size and pitch of the nipples? Fancy some stainless.

M8 x 1.25 for my rear caliper, thats on Mk2a, use plenty of copper grease as stainless corrodes to ali just as well as plated steel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users