#1 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:00 am

A couple of miles this morning without the faring fitted has remided me just how much noise I get from the current screen. What other screens have people tried on a Mk1?

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:24 am

I got a +30mm touring screen and cut it down slightly. It stops the buffeting completely. I'm now messing around with some Lexan sheet to see if I can make a 'lip'. I'll post a photo up.

Here ya go

Actually the screen could be more than +30mm. The problem I've found is that the angle of the screen needs to be more vertical in order to have an effect on the air around my helmet. So I'll probably cut it down a little more and then see if I can fabricate a spoiler/lip onto it.
But, keeping on the noise subject, the smooth edge of my screen is a lot quieter than the standard. I did consider cutting a standard but it looked a bit too low.

Edited by Studley Ramrod, 12 June 2009 - 09:58 am.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 TeDeum

TeDeum

age(d) by almonds

• 1,736 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:35 pm

Chris, taking 25mm off the top of my MkII screen cured buffeting, reduced noise considerably and did not noticeably add any extra wind pressure on my helmet or shoulders. Lower is better in my onion.

2001 TDM. 1990 Serow. 2004 DRZ400.  3 bikes, four cylinders. Who needs more?

Visit My Website

"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current" Horace.

"A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man"

Founder of TSRMCMAS.

#4 Hawmaw

Hawmaw

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 933 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:59 am

I had the standard screen , an unknown make screen about 2.5 " taller with a flip and a Powerbronze which was a good 5" taller than standard.

All of them caused turbulance about my head to some extent.

Strangely , riding the naked Bandit has proven something of a revelation. No screen = no turbulance or head shake !
Just a constant even pressure on the torso. 80mph for long periods is possible. I'm looking forward to developing my neck and shoulder muscles !!

And you get a crackin display of dead insects on your jacket.

Now : Nowt
Then : Yamaha TDM850 4TX , Suzuki GSF1200N Bandit , Yamaha TDM850 3VD , Yamaha 600 Fazer , Suzuki GSXR750G , Honda CB1100F , BMW R75/5 , Yamaha RD250E , Yamaha XS250 , Kawasaki Z250C , Lambretta GP150 , Vespa 150 Super

#5 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:21 am

I tried a 3-4 inch flip but cant remember if it was Powerbronze or Skidmarx but either way it was crap caused more noise and anything above 40 mph was awful. More buffiting than you can imagine couldn't see above 50mph in fact I only rode about 2 miles with it on It was that bad.

Now I just use the standard one and it's ok.

I am 6ft 6in wether that had anything to do with it or not I don't know??

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#6 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:52 am

Sounds like Chris is on to something then, at 6'6" I guess JG's head is sitting just above the turbulance, I'll keep an eye out for a standard screen and try trimming it down.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• 3,312 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:59 am

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Sun 14th Jun 2009, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like Chris is on to something then, at 6'6" I guess JG's head is sitting just above the turbulance, I'll keep an eye out for a standard screen and try trimming it down.

I'd have said just above the earths atmosphere rotflmmfao.gif

Cheers

Moose

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carpe-TDM.net - A place where everyone can have their cake and eat it!!!!!

TDM900/A 2007 Black, DL650 XTZ1200 Super Ten Handguards, Oxford Heated Grips, Double Bubble Screen, Fenda Extenda, Pipe Werx Oval Black SL Zorsts, R+G Crash Bungs, Mirror Extenders, Wilbers Rear Shock with Remote Hydraulic Preload, Wilbers Progressive Fork Springs, Scottoiler Touring Kit, Clear LED Rear Light Unit, Clear Indicators, PUIG Bellypan, V46 + 2 x E41 Keyless Luggage, Black Renthal 755 Medium Road Bars with Brace, 3 x 12v Accessory Socket, Beowolf Rad Guard.

TDM has moved on, i now own a Black 2009 Honda VFR 800 VTEC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without cake, we are merely just people who ride bikes

#8 Magic

Magic

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:52 pm

I have to replace my screen now, as I cracked it in France last week ranting.gif

It was a Givi touring screen, but that buffeted my helmet too....
Magic

The bike is faster than the eye or the hand.

Reborn MK1 - rubbish exhaust, dirty engine, missing bolts, missing mirrors, leathal rear tyre, crap carbs - but it doesn't ground out like my old CB750 Custom used to do :-)
Now with DL650 handguards and Garmin Sat Nav

#9 shacks

shacks

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 63 posts
  • TDM model: 1995

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:06 pm

QUOTE(Magic @ Sun 14th Jun 2009, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to replace my screen now, as I cracked it in France last week ranting.gif

It was a Givi touring screen, but that buffeted my helmet too....

Magic good to see I wasn't the only mrk 1 in France last week as I finally sorted my rich running which was the value clearances and timing. Where did you go in France? we were up near Falaise for a week .
Shacks.

#10 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:10 am

I'm using an MRA "touring" screen on my MK1 - happy with that, but not much to compare it to except the original. The touring screen gives better protection and I don't notice any buffeting probem - I'm 5'11". There's a vario version I use on my K1200S, and it has an adjustable wing thingy that really does work to modify the flow. I keep it down in the summer to get more air, and up in the winter/rain to stave off the chill a bit. That said, not sure I'd prefer the vario one - just one more gadget and looks a bit goofy to me.

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:46 am

Have to say that the MRA screen is the only one I've come across that's wider than the standard screen. Currently on ebay (Germany) at around £60+P&P
they were £65 but the £ is getting stronger rolleyes.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#12 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:14 am

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Wed 17th Jun 2009, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have to say that the MRA screen is the only one I've come across that's wider than the standard screen. Currently on ebay (Germany) at around £60+P&P
they were £65 but the £ is getting stronger rolleyes.gif

Got mine in the states from Twisted Throttle. Here's pic of the Touring version.

http://www.twistedth...tview/1674/212/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users