Photo
- - - - -

From England to Hungary and back with no bike (long)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OF.uk

OF.uk

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:10 am

For a start, neither myself or Erika has ever travelled more than 250 miles on a bike in a day so 1450 miles in 2 days was going to be a mammoth task.
We were booked on the 11am ferry from Dover but set off late at 5.30am, then I missed the turn off for Dover and hit standing traffic on the M25 before the next junction. Erika was not happy when I booted it back down the other carriageway when we eventually managed to turn around (she doesn't like it above 85mph). The result was that we were just too late for our ferry and had to take the next one at 12.15pm.

Bike at Dover.
This put our intended overnight stay in Frankfurt in serious jeapardy. There were no problems travelling through France and into Belgium as we'd planned on using motorways all the way. We contacted Guinness who came out to meet us and took us back to his house to meet his wife Edith and have a brew. After discussion we opted to accept their kind offer of a bed for the night rather than press on and try and find accomodation in Germany. Thankyou both for your very kind hospitality good.gif . Day 1...500 miles.
The following morning we were up and off at 8.30 am and heading towards Germany. It didn't take long before we reached the border. Plenty of stops and roadworks meant we weren't making the progress that we'd hoped.
Erika mid afternoon in Germany.
By 9.30pm Erika threw the towel in and we went into Vienna to find somewhere to stay. I wanted to continue on to Eger that night but Erika really had had too much. Day 2...650 miles.

Not happy after 650 miles in a day.
We were up at 7.15am the following morning ready for an early start but the guesthouse didn't accept plastic so I had to set off trying to find a cash machine that worked! We finally headed for the Hungarian border at 10am. Again more contraflow. It didn't seem to take long to get out of Austria.

Together in Hungary.
On through the centre of Budapest and out towards Eger with several more stops. We finally reached Eger at around 3.30pm. The last couple of miles were nerve wracking as the track up to our house on the mountain was just dirt and gravel and it was like riding on marbles. I've never ridden off-road and was terrified of dropping the bike. Day 3...300 miles.

Track to house.

Outside our house looking up hill.
The purpose of our trip was to buyfixtures and fittings for the Sirok house and to visit the hungarian bike week held just outside Sirok.

Outside our house in Sirok.
The first couple of days were spent buying the bits we needed then we pitched a tent at the rally site. Erika was seriously thinking of flying home as she couldn't face riding back accross Europe. We looked into bike prices and found the TDM was worth much more in Hungary than in England so parked it up at the rally with a for sale sign on it. within 3 hours we received a phone call and met a couple of guys who were interested in it. a price was agreed and we arranged to meet them the following Monday to do the deal.
The next couple of days were spent at the rally.

Enjoying the cheap food and drink.
There were some great bands, cheap food and drink and the hillclimb was scarily steep and treacherous after 3 months without rain, few managed it to the top.
Outside the rally.

Hillclimb.
On Saturday afternoon there was a mass ride-out which I unfortunately missed. They usually get about 15,000 bikers at the event but I only saw 1 other TDM (900) and a TRX.

Austrian TRX
The vast majority are Hungarians with the odd Austrian, Pole etc. I did get a message when I got home from an Irish woman who'd travelled over but we never saw her there.
Ride-out on Saturday.
There are some great twisty roads in the area but unfortunately some locals poured oil on some of the bends. blink.gif This was spotted and cleaned up.
On Monday we met up with the guy wh'od agreed to buy my bike and exchanged the necessary paperwork and money. I'd always planned on selling it but was going to do it in September just before we move out there. I ended up with more than I'd expected in England and he got a bargain in Hungary even after the Ł300-Ł400 it was going to cost to re-register it there. Even so, it was sad to see it go. The buyer is a really nice guy and I've told him I'll take some of my spares over in august when I go back.

Outside a really nice little bar/restaurant in Sirok

Last photo of my TDM huh.gif

Would I ride across Europe again? Definitely!! It was a tiring but memorable experience. Hopefully next year we'll only be a mile or so from the Hungarian bike week, living in Sirok.

Edited by OF.uk, 01 August 2007 - 10:21 am.

Thinking of visiting Hungary? Then visit my website http://explore-hungary.com/
1993 Yamaha xt600 supermoto

#2 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:45 am

WOW !!!! what a trip and a story.

It had a beggining , a middle and a sad end !!!

Just like a proper novel.... I never saw that coming..

sell the bike.... blink.gif

???????????
I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#3 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:00 pm

boy that Erika is an ungrateful so and so laugh.gif !!!!

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 johnschmidt

johnschmidt

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:37 pm

Definitely didn't look happy on that photo with the beer and finger! When my wife and I went to Hungary in the mid 80s there was an added bonus of choking on 2 stroke fumes from all the trabbies ,Wartburgs and MZs. After a days riding felt like throwing up and had a seriously aching head.
Nice looking house. I take it you have bought it? How much of a procedure was that?
John
What's all this about signatures Ted?

Don't need no oil drums no more.

#5 OF.uk

OF.uk

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:16 pm

We've got 2 houses in Hungary. 1 in Almar on the mountain just outside Eger and 1 in the centre of Sirok. The Almar house was a bit of a nightmare to buy at Ł8,500 but the Sirok house was an easy purchase at Ł15,500 biggrin.gif .
There are far fewer Trabbies and Wartburgs about these days and 2nd hand vehicle prices are much higher than in Britain. Lots of bikes over there but most seem to be Suzuki's for some reason.

#6 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:48 pm

quite a successfull trip if you think about it
1.made a nice journey thru Europe
2.on the bike
3.with the missus
4.did what had to be done at the house
5.got more money out of the bike (forget the plane tickets smile.gif )
6.amErica happy she didnt have to pillion all the way

ild call that a good one

glad you made it home safely... figured you'ld be coming back our way
where some beers left in the case :-)
but dandy's arriving tomorrow... he'll help finish it :-)

! DONT BE A STRANGER !
keep us posted about your BnB plans
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

#7 OF.uk

OF.uk

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:31 pm

Cheers biggrin.gif
Thankyou both so very much for putting us up at the last minute with no warning.
I'm heading back out with Erika's brother on the 11th of August so may stop by (VERY BRIEFLY) on the way home a week later with a little thankyou.
Gutted I sold the bike, especially as things have gone completely tits up since getting home and it looks like we'll not be moving out to Hungary in September now sad.gif (don't ask).

#8 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:31 pm

Nice Write up Paul

pity Am erica didn't enjoy the privilige of riding all that way on a special bike rotflmmfao.gif

Sorry to hear you have sold it (unlees your gonna buy a 900 with the profits) banana.gif

hope it all works out for you there (really i do)

and don't forget when you get the B&B set up (i expect special mates rates yeahyeahyeah.gif )

keep in touch won't you good.gif

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#9 OF.uk

OF.uk

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:49 pm

Now that my plans have changed I'm looking at buying a mate's cbr 600. It's on a D plate and needs the brakes freeing up, but it's "cheap".
There will of course be "special" rates wink.gif

#10 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:59 pm

QUOTE(OF.uk @ Wed 1st Aug 2007, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(don't ask).

im asking yeahyeahyeah.gif

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#11 OF.uk

OF.uk

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:23 pm

Nosey barsteward!
I'm not going into it but had 3 lots of financially bad news today which means we've had to put our plans back a few months. Still going over next week to work on the Sirok house and will have to do some SERIOUS saving over the next few months.

#12 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:49 pm

QUOTE(OF.uk @ Wed 1st Aug 2007, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nosey barsteward!
I'm not going into it but had 3 lots of financially bad news today which means we've had to put our plans back a few months. Still going over next week to work on the Sirok house and will have to do some SERIOUS saving over the next few months.

rotflmmfao.gif yup i am nosey.

seriously Paul (and Am Erica , "thats gonna stick you know") hope you get it all sorted soon, and your plans come to fruition, ive just had an idea though ! what about selling bikes for a living (you said they are dearer over there) could be an earner good.gif

#13 OF.uk

OF.uk

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:44 am

I'd already thought of that wink.gif . Looking into it.

#14 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:26 am

QUOTE(OF.uk @ Wed 1st Aug 2007, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-//-There are some great twisty roads in the area but unfortunately some locals poured oil on some of the bends. blink.gif This was spotted and cleaned up.-//-

jeezus, the bastards... what the hell were they thinking.. it be cool?
thank god it got spotted

I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users