#1 Redcorfe

Redcorfe

arrived on last train

• 6 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 24 November 2022 - 09:01 pm

Help needed please

1999 4TX

I have an engine which runs fine and idles correctly, BUT seems to have no vacuum on one of the carbs.

Pulled the hoses to synchronise, one side fine the other nothing

Both carbs are working and as you need a vacuum for the intake stroke there must be one there.

So a blockage either in the carb or in the hose maybe ??

Any thoughts before I pull the carbs out ??

Cheers

PS haven't done the valves yet but surely a out of spec value wouldn't reduce the vacuum to nothing ?

over to you :unsure2:

#2 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 25 November 2022 - 06:08 am

If it's ticking over ok then I'd be checking the hose and fitting.
I guess you tried swopping hoses to the vac gauges?

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#3 Redcorfe

Redcorfe

arrived on last train

• 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 09:56 am

Yes, swooped over the hoses and the problem followed, I can't think it been anything but a blockage somewere or a split in the hose.

Carbs look clean and good though...

#4 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 25 November 2022 - 12:15 pm

If it runs and idles OK don't touch the carbs just look into the hose problem.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 26 November 2022 - 08:45 am

Errr, not sure what you mean there, the vacuum hoses used for balancing the carbs are actually connected to the engine inlets, not the carbs.

The 2 hoses in this pic are the vac hoses, you can see where they connect to the inlets

5214663862_4493a23ac6_b.jpg

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 November 2022 - 10:12 am

No more love this year Ian, what with the cost of energy  :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 Redcorfe

Redcorfe

arrived on last train

• 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 04:23 pm

Hi All

Thanks for the comments, on my XJ the vacuum ports are on the carbs, couldn't see anywhere in the manual where the hoses went to and thought it must be a port at the back.

As they now seem to be connected to the inlets, the carbs still need to come off for me the inspect the hoses and inlets.

If its a blockage that would make sense as the engine is running well, but if the hose was split the vacuum would be open and the idle would be off.

Will report back with any developments.

#8 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 November 2022 - 05:12 pm

Some of us have been living in a vaccum for years.................................................

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#9 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 26 November 2022 - 05:35 pm

Some of us have been living in a vaccum for years.................................................

a case of suck it and see..

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 06:24 pm

Hi All

Thanks for the comments, on my XJ the vacuum ports are on the carbs, couldn't see anywhere in the manual where the hoses went to and thought it must be a port at the back.

As they now seem to be connected to the inlets, the carbs still need to come off for me the inspect the hoses and inlets.

If its a blockage that would make sense as the engine is running well, but if the hose was split the vacuum would be open and the idle would be off.

Will report back with any developments.

If your bike has an electric fuel pump, both vac hoses will be blanked off.  If it has a vacuum fuel pump, the pipe from No.1 cyl will go to the fuel pump, the other will be blanked off.

Sounds like all is good from what you say.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#11 Redcorfe

Redcorfe

arrived on last train

• 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 05:43 pm

Mystery solved, apparently there was three vacuum pipes on the bike two were connected to the inlets the third was just sitting there blanked off at both ends, so when is connected to it I obviously didn’t get any vacuum.

Why three ? I wondered if it had a vacuum pump and it’s been changed to an electric pump, did a 1999 model have a vacuum as standard ??

Anyway, glad I investigated as the clamps on the inlets weren’t done up and I just puled the carbs straight off as the clamp heads were under the carbs impossible to get to.

New inlets and clamps ordered and cleaning in progress, thanks for the info.......

#12 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 30 November 2022 - 06:01 pm

A 1999 bike should have a leccy pump, up to 1996 had vacuum pumps (MK2).

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 06:02 pm

Mystery solved, apparently there was three vacuum pipes on the bike two were connected to the inlets the third was just sitting there blanked off at both ends, so when is connected to it I obviously didn’t get any vacuum.

Why three ? I wondered if it had a vacuum pump and it’s been changed to an electric pump, did a 1999 model have a vacuum as standard ??

Anyway, glad I investigated as the clamps on the inlets weren’t done up and I just puled the carbs straight off as the clamp heads were under the carbs impossible to get to.

New inlets and clamps ordered and cleaning in progress, thanks for the info.......

:good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users