TDMick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:13 pm

Makes a lot of sense.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#3 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:44 pm

I'm only driving cars for about 7 years. I'm very aware of motorbikes and suicyclists.
I'm fanatical about clean windows, and leaning back and forward to see past pillars at junctions and roundabouts.
At least twice in the last month I've had very close SMIDSY moments.

1,All dark suicyclist going wrong way up one-way street, 2,Pizza delivery guy attempting overtake and lane change on roundabout.

#4 Drew48

Drew48

has been here 4ever

• 1,150 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:27 pm

well to a degree that may be so - however the area out with the fovea & macula are where you will find the cells resposible for low ight vision and these are very sesitive to low light conditions and movement, so a moving object should be seen - but to all driver move your f*cking head and look !!!! All the research and excuses don't change the fact people do not look properly they're lazy they're complacent and quite often are thick as mince when their errors are pointed out.

CB125 SUPERDREAM, DR125, MZ125ETZ, CD200BENLY, CB250SUPERDREAM x 2, VT250F, XT350,SRX400,CX500EC,XT600,GPX600C1,TDM850MK2,GS850,TDM850MK1,XJ900F,SV1000S, SV1000N, TDM850MK1 (nr2), TDM850 MK1 (nr3),TDM850 MK1 (quatre)

#5 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:20 pm

Interesting stuff here.

Research in late 70s ( by Scandinavian ergonomists I think) on SMIDSY accidents seemed to conclude bike with lights equalled conspicuity (is that a word ...? it is now) of a car. Hence, eventually, we all now have permanent running lights.

However the problem of being hidden in a moving blind spot is a real one and needs positive action by the car driver on the side road.

As we cannot depend on that positive action (double checks/moving head etc etc) I still believe as bikers and cyclists we need to seriously assume the car may pull out and be prepared to avoid it and/or to brake. Personally I try to imagine the driver knows me, hates me, wants to kill me, and is not afraid to put his plans into action. Unfortunately many years ago, this did not stop me being hit by a (probably) drunken 19 year old in his Dad's Cavalier turning RIGHT into my path as I was approaching from the opposite direction. Ouch.

I suppose the message is, as ever ... be ultra defensive at ALL times.

Pete   

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#6 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,085 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:49 pm

The Eurocrats plan to stop bike crashes is simple, ban all ptw's.....problem gone.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#7 starman

starman

sticking around

• 30 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:21 am

In the early 80's I had a whole string of motorcycles and had almost no near misses with cars except of my own making. The common factor they were feccking loud...... Yamaha TDIC engine stright though chambers. IT425 Yamaha Kawasaki 1000 with a home made 4 into 1 and 250mm long silencer with a handfull of glass fibre.

Edited by starman, 16 June 2013 - 09:22 am.

Blue Spots, Braided lines all round. Last ever standard exaust in capitivity (NEW). Hagon Fork Springs. leccy fuel pump conversion. Pipercross Airfilter. New RED paint. Flip screen. Delkevic stainless down pipes. Offside headlamp now dipping HID.

#8 Tom850

Tom850

discovering Carpe

• 18 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:51 pm

Nice link! Considers removing the Enterprise baffle again. :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users