• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mart13

mart13

really likes Carpe

• 98 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:11 pm

is it just me or does anyone else have problems being seen on a silver and yellow bike , i've been riding 20 odd years and most of my bikes have matt black or matt green and never really had a problem with people trying to kill me , but since i got the tdm nearly every time i go out on it some muppet pulls out in front of me , then stops in the road giving me a big target to crash into , so far i've managed to miss most by a few feet , some only by a few inches :huh:

it seems that having a bright easy to spot bike is far unsafer or is it just an easier target to spot ?

#2 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:59 pm

......I too have a silver & yellow one, and also always travel with dipped beam on........my initial reaction to your post was that,
contrary to your experience, nobody has pulled out on me, which has been my general impression over 30+ years of biking
............but whoah!.... just a mo...... twice in the last couple of months, it actually HAS happened, much to my astonishment
.....both times this turkey just ambled out in front of me - when I'm actually convinced we're making eye-contact - no problem.....
But I've had my silver 'n yeller for several years, and the recent happenings.....are maybe just........... recent happenings....
So, my proposal is that, as regular riders, we, most times, manage to react to such imbecility with routine aplomb, avoiding
the potential calamity, and moving swiftly on.....and the experience is absorbed and erased.......as if it had never happened.
So maybe you haven't recalled the earlier near-misses?
(either that or the idiots are proliferating)

..........Jiff

#3 mart13

mart13

really likes Carpe

• 98 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:32 pm

i always ride with my lights on now , have done for the last few years but i dont think it would make a difference as some idiots pull out on me when i'm 20 30 foot away

maybe painting it day glo orange would help as fitting idiot seeking missiles is illegal

#4 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:21 pm

i always ride with my lights on now , have done for the last few years but i dont think it would make a difference as some idiots pull out on me when i'm 20 30 foot away

maybe painting it day glo orange would help as fitting idiot seeking missiles is illegal

You'd run out of ammo in 5 mins. :)

Mines a Red un, but from the front it would look black, and I don't seem to have much trouble (famous last words?).

May be it's when our Spidey sense fails us, that we get the SMIDSEYs? I know I can often sense a tosser from way back, I hang back and 9/10 times he/she/it does something dumb that could have been a problem if I was up close.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#5 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:12 am

I had someone pull out in front of me the other day...I was in my very bright blue car with LED running lights, some people just don't look.  

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:02 pm

I've noticed some people look then ignore what they see and pull out. They even look away from you pretneding they can't see you.

Fecking ostrich mentality.

Sorry, I'll get my coat....

#7 Chris

Chris

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:39 pm

Don't know if it's the same in UK but more & more folks here are driving with full headlights on in their cages during the daytime - so you just become lost in all the lights...

#8 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:53 pm

Isn't it about time vehicles got radar or something.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#9 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:00 pm

Someone posted the raydar thing on ear.  Think it were on Ford Focus or zummat.  Trouble is people then rely on electronics, the same electronicals that make people crash when parking ....but its not THEIR fault its the fault of the beep that didnt beep....shudder.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#10 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:23 pm

a boot in there indicators seems to sharpen up there attention :badgerrock:

#11 Readmarx

Readmarx

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:49 pm

Kill all car drivers. Controversial, perhaps. But, it will solve a common problem :good:

Edited by Readmarx, 25 October 2013 - 10:49 pm.

mother nature rides a biker

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:17 am

A tad harsh perhaps.  How about just kill all car drivers who don't own a motorbike ? :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users