• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Viper350

Viper350

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:54 pm

I had my usual trip to Germany this year, in fact it was to be my last, having been around 25 times , mostly alone. Unfortunately, I had an off while slowing down for some traffic lights. Must have been diesel, I went down so fast after touching the front brake I can,t actually remember falling! An ambulance was called and I was checked out and given the all clear. Later that night I started shaking badly and the campsite owners called an ambulance which took me to a hospital. I spent the night in hospital. Next morning I discovered that the EU health card doesn,t mean a thing in Germany. Apparently, Germany doesn,t have a national health service - all hospitals and the ambulance services are privately owned. And the card does not cover private treatment. That cost me £650 for the hospital and over  

£1000 for the ambulance. Luckily, my bike was still rideable. More luck. When paying the money transfer at the Nationwide I discovered I had automatic health insurance with my account. It,s taken a while but i should be getting the final payment any day. So, when travelling to Germany, take out travel insurance.

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:03 pm

Glad yar ok. 

I remember reading the disclaimers that the card only entitles you to the same treatment as a local...so if they pay....you do.

Got that Nationwide cover too.  It even covered me for a Euro treader tour which surprised me.  Glad it worked fur ewe.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:11 am

That's useful information to know. Thanks. I've got ADAC plus cover and Nationwide, so I think I'd be alright.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#4 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:54 am

Last time I was up over my insurance covered me for full medical, repatriation for me & the bike, breakdown, accommodation costs etc. Can't remember the name but it was all done online, payed monthly for my cover by credit card, 20 quid IIRC. Had to use their break down service in the darkest, furthest reaches of the Scottish West coast. Despite barely any cell phone coverage they were patient enough to get details of my whereabouts before we lost the connection. Thought nothing would happen but an hour later a happy chappy turned up & got me rolling again. The bike had been sat beside a wharf with no blanky for 3 weeks & the battery was in the huff.

Well worth reading the small print for all the countries you want to visit.

Glad your ok.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#5 TeDeum

TeDeum

age(d) by almonds

• 1,736 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:50 am

Thanks for the heads-up on this. For years I have happily travelled in Europe thinking I was covered. It is possible to get a refund according to this page from the Irish Government but they don't make it easy for you.

2001 TDM. 1990 Serow. 2004 DRZ400.  3 bikes, four cylinders. Who needs more?

Visit My Website

"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current" Horace.

"A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man"

Founder of TSRMCMAS.

#6 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:15 am

If you think you're covered by your bank etc. CHECK, cos most of em DON'T cover for riding bikes over 125.

I specifically checked with HSBC.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#7 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:00 pm

A lot of travel insurance policies don't cover riding a bike over 125cc either so you need to check that one.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:43 pm

Glad things are now ok Viper. I had a different experience in Germany (Rhineland) during an RTT and couldn't fault the medical service and my E111 covered the treatment and strapping to a badly sprained ankle. Maybe things get shitty when the bill starts adding up  :unsure2:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#9 Limbo

Limbo

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:04 pm

We have a good health care system in Germany, and everyone is rescued after an accident and medical care.
Only if your life is secured, the question arises on payment of costs.

Before each trip to a foreign country, one should inquire about which foreign services paid for their own health insurance, and whether you have additional insurance on his automobile club or should complete a special international insurance.

This is not a typical problem-for Germany, but a problem that every traveler in a foreign country can have.

It should also give countries where the ambulance a foreigner can not deliver in a hospital, if the foreigner no health insurance can confirm.
That was never the case in Germany.

Limbo
without stockings and shoes I can count up to twenty wonderful

#10 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:47 pm

I've got £14.20 in my Nationwide account.  :lol:

Edited by TYREDNGRUMPEE, 06 December 2013 - 10:47 pm.

#11 Viper350

Viper350

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:51 am

I have to say, the treatment in the hospital was superb. ( as only the Germans could give ) X-rays took just a few minutes and the same with the blood tests. Then an en-suite room shared with an old guy . But ,in the morning, I discovered , with the help of an American Forces liason officer, that I had to pay before leaving. On getting home I contacted the NHS helpline. They said that because the hospital was private, I wasn,t covered and that I MUST pay the ambulance bill, or else !! I contacted the German Red Cross and they confirmed that. It was only when I asked the Nationwide to arrange a money transfer that I found out about the travel insurance. You must have at least £750 a month going into your account though. This was the first accident in 50 years ( excluding those when racing at snetterton and cadwell ). A record of which I am proud. I,m fed up with going abroad all alone so I guess i,ll have to start touring Britain. I,m really looking forward to those terrible roads, speed cameras, lousy drivers , and being ripped off. :sorry:  :sorry:  

#12 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:24 am

You must have at least £750 a month going into your account though.

I've not got that amount going through my account, nowhere near, and I'm insured through the Nationwide. I'm not sure if that will be renewed after this year though.

I,m fed up with going abroad all alone so I guess i,ll have to start touring Britain. I,m really looking forward to those terrible roads, speed cameras, lousy drivers , and being ripped off. :sorry:  :sorry:

Loads of tours are organised here on Carpe to Germany and other places. No need to tour alone. I prefer lone touring, but plenty of members here arrange meetups and tours.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#13 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:15 pm

Got that Nationwide cover too.  It even covered me for a Euro treader tour which surprised me.  Glad it worked fur ewe.

Just got letter from Nationwide that has "changes to travel insurance" waffle blah blah......one of the changes was "hazardous activities" waffle blah section F.  This may or may not mean that treader and any boatermike cover might have been altered....they handily didnt include section F in the "changes" document....so no idea without digging out the original crapola.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users