9 replies to this topic

#1 RogerD

RogerD

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:59 pm

OK....so first to declare an interest. I am a member of the CBF1000.com forum, as is Mike, who is a biker of 40 years and a solicitor of >25 years. I have seen Mike post advice to members of the forum, and also take their cases on. I don,t know Mike and have never met him, but I saw that he has a new web site, and one article in particular is certainly worthy of sharing here.

If one person reads this post, reads the guidance in the area of Mike web site as per the title of this post, and benefits by doing that, its worth it in my view. The article outlines a fictitious legal case to highlight what WE as RIDERS need to do in an accident, see here:

http://www.jminjuryl...89-A5AB07711EEE

Admittedly Mike is pitching for your business (should you be unlucky enough to need it) but we all have a choice, and knowledge is key to making the right choice.

I do not endorse Mike...as I said I dont know him (and have been fortunate enough not have need to use him). Just wanted to share some info, that I (and others on CBF1000) consider to be good.

Edited by RogerD, 17 February 2014 - 10:13 pm.

Roger

2004 Silver TDM 900, Scorpion cans, MRA screen, Heated Grips, Piramid Fender Extenda. Mitchelin PR3's, Oxford Soft luggage.  Now living with Sidestand

2015 BMW R1200GS , in Frost Blue, Adventure screen, cruise control, quickshifter, heated grips, ESA , BM panniers but Givi topbox.                                                          

#2 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:13 am

It Shouldn't Happen To A Biker.....

#Solicitor for Bikers

#Lawyer for Bikers

#What to do in an Accident

Sounds a bit spammy to me. Sorry.

#3 RSRocket

RSRocket

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 991 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:35 am

Staying clear
24 Hours in a Day, 24 beers in a tray !

"I think the firing orders wrong! : ) "
"I do it with Twins"

Lone Wolf Rider

#4 RogerD

RogerD

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:02 am

Hi

Nope...not intended to be spam, just hopefully useful info. as its the first topic I have started I thought you may need to add tags...so any guidance welcome guys.

Admin...happy to remove if you dont like it. :punishment:

Edited by RogerD, 18 February 2014 - 10:03 am.

Roger

2004 Silver TDM 900, Scorpion cans, MRA screen, Heated Grips, Piramid Fender Extenda. Mitchelin PR3's, Oxford Soft luggage.  Now living with Sidestand

2015 BMW R1200GS , in Frost Blue, Adventure screen, cruise control, quickshifter, heated grips, ESA , BM panniers but Givi topbox.                                                          

#5 stu

stu

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:22 am

Interesting analysis of the process. Thanks.

Stu

#6 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:17 pm

Just to point out this was written on 5th may 2012 which is pre Jackson reforms.

Solicitors are no longer able to claim there extortionate costs back from the Third Party's insurer which means no solicitors give you 100% compensation any more. The majority take 25% but you can usually negotiate with them to bring it down.

The point he makes on legal cover with insurance companies is a bit daft too. 

"Many large panel firms employ non-legally qualified staff known as claims advisers, litigation assistants or litigation executives who uses a computer system to progress the claim."

I'd be very surprised if as a solicitor he doesn't employ people to do admin work and I'm pretty sure that all low value claims (below £10k) have to be submit through the insurance claims portal anyway. I very much doubt that as a fully qualified solicitor he is sat there keying in data to the portal, but i suppose you never know. 

I no longer work in insurance, but I would still always take out BTE (Before The Event / Legal Cover) insurance which usually allows you to keep 100% of your compensation. 

In most situations, and if you can, you are best going directly to the Third Party insurance company. Providing liability is admit you will get all the services you can claim through a solicitor yet there are no fees and you'll get 100% compensation.

The fact that in this case he thinks the third party wouldn't admit liability straight away is something I also find dubious. 

If in my previous job I ever took a call where one of our policy holders had done this they would be told they are at fault. Everyone who I spoke to who did this always said "well they must have been coming at some speed, they weren't there one second and the next they were" which usually summs up they weren't looking properly or didn't look hard enough.

Plus, Its impossible to accurately prove the speed unless there is something recording it at the time of the accident. most insurance companies know thye are not going to win so in a situation like this would tell there PH they are at fault and offer services to the TP. 

Of course the above doesn't apply to all situations.

On a final note, if you do decide to use a solicitors or accident management company, do not rely on them to report it to your insurance company. If the claim is disputed or falls out of the portal (claims that are not responded to within 21{I think} days) you can end up liable for costs. For example your insurance company only have to pay storage costs on a vehicle from the date they have been instructed. If you claim with and accident management company and a month later the vehicle is still in storage and your insurance company don't know, your insurers aren't going to pay that bill. 

His information on how to react in an accident is spot on though. I'm not sure how easy it would be to do that after and accident but it is pretty much the right thing to do. 

#7 RogerD

RogerD

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:24 pm

Good to see that its felt some of the info is useful. I for one had a no fault accident some time ago (hit whilst I was stationary at a junction) and did most of the wrong things, but it turned out OK in the end, mainly due to the other parties insurance company, rather than mine.

Having read the info, and now the info above from Lewis, at least I have some idea what to do.

Hope it helps others....

Roger

#8 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:36 pm

Its not something you think you'll ever need to know, until your first accident that is. 

Then afterwards you think of all the things you could have done to help yourself.

When a lady pushed a van into the back of me a few months ago there were things I didn't do just because of the adrenalin at the moment. luckily I got the basics and the TPI are sorting everything but I understand its not always that easy. 

#9 spodge

spodge

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:29 pm

It's good to be reminded of what to do in the first instance, ie at the scene.

Many years ago someone was parked in a line of parked cars (facing the traffic flow) and pulled out in front of me

because he obviously couldn't see clearly.

He said "sorry my fault" etc etc. Exchanged insurance details, but it ended up he told (lied to) his insurance company

I was going too fast I ended up having to scrap my car (admittedly, a Lada), but his was a reliant Robin and

was in about 1000 pieces.

No camera phones then and of course no witnesses  " 'cos he admitted fault" !!

255964.png

#10 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:39 pm

I think there's some good info, must be difficult to get it right at the event.

I did have a snigger at "Kevin Farquhar", Carry on biking.

Edited by Catteeclan, 18 February 2014 - 07:40 pm.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users