61 replies to this topic

#1 TheThigh

TheThigh

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:56 pm

Fitted a PCIII and K & N Air Filter today down loaded a fuel map and hey presto the horrible surging and stuttering around 2.5 - 3k has gone and the bike now feels so much better to ride around town. I'll see how it goes over the next couple of weeks and monitor MPG. Well worth the investment in my opinion.

Jobs an orange root vegetable.

Edited by The Thigh, 09 July 2012 - 09:25 pm.

Currently - 2008 Red 900 ABS - 19k - 12v Socket - K & N Air Filter - Power Commander III - Mirror Extenders - Hepco & Becker Junior Panniers and Top Box - Fuel Exhausts - Pilot Road 2 Tyres.

To Do List - HID Bi-Xenon Projectors - MRA Vario Screen.

Posted Image

#2 danresh

danresh

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:40 am

QUOTE(The Thigh @ Mon 9th Jul 2012, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fitted a PCIII and K & N Air Filter today down loaded a fuel map and hey presto the horrible surging and stuttering around 2.5 - 3k has gone and the bike now feels so much better to ride around town. I'll see how it goes over the next couple of weeks and monitor MPG. Well worth the investment in my opinion.

Where was it purchased and for how much?

Thanks
Danresh
Danresh - the HolyLand TDM knight

TDM900 (2009) - Lowered suspension, Lowered side-stand with wider tip, O2 sensor removed, Givi top and side-cases, H-7+90% headlights, Additional blinking backlights, Stehbel horn, Secdem screen, BMW1150 Bar-risers, Remote controled cellular alarm sys, Throttle lock cruise control, CrumpBuster, GIpro-x type Gear Indicator, Mirrors raised up and out. Rear sprocket-46 teeth. Speedo Healer. K&N AirFilter. Barkbusters Storm Hand-Guards. Dobeck Performance TFI-1025 injection control. Skene Design P3 back LED lights. G-2 Throttle Tamer. BikeVis Bullet LED DRLs on handguards. LED fairing light. 2 Cree U5 LED fog-lights mounted on engine guard. MRA Xcreen on windshield. PR3 tyres.

#3 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:18 am

QUOTE(The Thigh @ Mon 9th Jul 2012, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeas we know it's a YAM but hide.gif

Edited by Rallyist, 10 July 2012 - 07:30 am.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#4 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:38 am

I just installed a Techlusion FI-1030 on my other bike (shhh Ivan might be listening - BMW R1100GS), it made the world of difference. No more surging at 3-4K. Simpler and cheaper than the power commander. All it does is add fuel to certain points in the fuel map, which is just what I needed to deal with that lean, emissions mapped hole in my cruise range , it's controlled by four mini potentiometers, so no connection to your PC required. Makes it more like tuning a set of carbs. Looks like they do one for the TDM 900 too (FI-1025). I installed normal fuel injector connectors (mini / junior timer connectors) on mine so I didn't have to cut into the loom. My FI-1030 was £80 from ebay.

Might be worth a look?

http://www.dobeckper...asp?make=yamaha

This looks like the TDM900 one

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5d302f57c1

Edited by hammerman, 10 July 2012 - 07:46 am.

#5 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• 1,548 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:59 am

I have the FI-1025 on my bike.

Shop for them by the model number, not the bike type; you'll save heaps. Got mine for half the list price off the flee bay.

If you're savvy with wiring, it's easier to install them at the ECU rather than as per the instructions; you only need to remove the left fairing, not everything and the tank too. You'll need the workshop manual and wiring diagrams from JBX's great website.

Other companies sell this same device for much more, StainTune for example.

The Ebay vendor in the previous post is good;I bought mine from them. That's also a good price.

Edited by AzzA, 11 July 2012 - 03:05 am.

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#6 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:55 am

Don't forget that your insurance company may see the PCIII as a perfromance device........

#7 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:36 am

QUOTE(TKH @ Wed 11th Jul 2012, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't forget that your insurance company may see the PCIII as a perfromance device........

I rang Carole Nash when I fitted the Techlusion to the BMW. Told them what it was and that it had been fitted to improve the low speed rideability of the bike. They noted it all down and said that it was OK.

#8 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:36 am

QUOTE(hammerman @ Wed 11th Jul 2012, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I rang Carole Nash when I fitted the Techlusion to the BMW. Told them what it was and that it had been fitted to improve the low speed rideability of the bike. They noted it all down and said that it was OK.

Which is what I did with the bits I've fitted. But if you don't tell your insurers they have a get out. Also, one quote I applied for via MCN I tried adding a PCIII and the number of insurers on the list dropped and up went the price. Some insurers are quite reasonable and allow performance tweaks such as PCIII, performance exhausts, etc. as long as you tell 'em, some however see it as a route to get more money from us, or an excuse not to payout a claim if we forget to tell them.

In a previous post, someone had mentioned an insurer/broker (Bennetts?) allowing 3 mods; luggage and stickers were counted as mods.

#9 Limbo

Limbo

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:52 pm

QUOTE(The Thigh @ Mon 9th Jul 2012, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whether a PC III USB on your TDM is good, depends on the model of your DM.
You have a TDM900 RN11, I recommend the PCIII, You have a TDM 900 RN18 You do not need the PCIII.
I had a RN11 and since I've installed the PCII, now I have a RN18 and the PCIII is located in the basement.

Is the K & N air filter, I do not recommend. If he has a better air flow than the original filter, it brings you only benefit if the exhaust allows more air flow. The K & N air filter but has the disadvantage that its passage with the pollution varies considerably, where the orginal air filter will no longer work very smoothly.

Limbo
without stockings and shoes I can count up to twenty wonderful

#10 danresh

danresh

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:31 am

QUOTE(Limbo @ Wed 11th Jul 2012, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whether a PC III USB on your TDM is good, depends on the model of your DM.
You have a TDM900 RN11, I recommend the PCIII, You have a TDM 900 RN18 You do not need the PCIII.
I had a RN11 and since I've installed the PCII, now I have a RN18 and the PCIII is located in the basement.

Is the K & N air filter, I do not recommend. If he has a better air flow than the original filter, it brings you only benefit if the exhaust allows more air flow. The K & N air filter but has the disadvantage that its passage with the pollution varies considerably, where the orginal air filter will no longer work very smoothly.

Limbo

Hello Limbo, how do I find out whether my 2009 Niner is RN11 or RN18? I don't recall ever coming across these model types in my Niner's papers....

Thanks
Danresh

TDM900 (2009) - Lowered suspension, Lowered side-stand with wider tip, O2 sensor removed, Givi top and side-cases, H-7+90% headlights, Additional blinking backlights, Stehbel horn, Secdem screen, BMW1150 Bar-risers, Remote controled cellular alarm sys, Throttle lock cruise control, CrumpBuster, GIpro-x type Gear Indicator, Mirrors raised up and out. Rear sprocket-46 teeth. Speedo Healer. K&N AirFilter. Barkbusters Storm Hand-Guards. Dobeck Performance TFI-1025 injection control. Skene Design P3 back LED lights. G-2 Throttle Tamer. BikeVis Bullet LED DRLs on handguards. LED fairing light. 2 Cree U5 LED fog-lights mounted on engine guard. MRA Xcreen on windshield. PR3 tyres.

#11 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,442 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:24 am

QUOTE(danresh @ Thu 12th Jul 2012, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Limbo, how do I find out whether my 2009 Niner is RN11 or RN18? I don't recall ever coming across these model types in my Niner's papers....

Thanks
Danresh

First part of the chassis No. drinks.gif

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#12 danresh

danresh

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:45 am

QUOTE(Catteeclan @ Thu 12th Jul 2012, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First part of the chassis No. drinks.gif

Thanks Cateeclan, now I know that my Niner is N18 !!

But why wouldn't the PC111 or the Dobeck FI 1025 be useful on the N18?

Danresh

#13 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• 1,548 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:56 am

Mine's an '09 with the Dobeck, and I've found it to be beneficial and useful because... no doubt the fuel mapping is different, and better, on the later models but... there is still room for improvement from the factory around the 3.5 K RPM mark.

Lower final gearing has also helped markedly, given our speed limits and what the stock cruising RPM was. I can now smoothly transition the dead spot and cruise sufficiently above it.

If you're going to make big changes to intake and exhaust, you need to compensate somehow; the stock ECU covers most changes, at most RPM, but it isn't smart enough to do the whole job.

QUOTE(danresh @ Thu 12th Jul 2012, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Cateeclan, now I know that my Niner is N18 !!

But why wouldn't the PC111 or the Dobeck FI 1025 be useful on the N18?

Danresh

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#14 danresh

danresh

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:22 pm

QUOTE(AzzA @ Thu 12th Jul 2012, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine's an '09 with the Dobeck, and I've found it to be beneficial and useful because... no doubt the fuel mapping is different, and better, on the later models but... there is still room for improvement from the factory around the 3.5 K RPM mark.

Lower final gearing has also helped markedly, given our speed limits and what the stock cruising RPM was. I can now smoothly transition the dead spot and cruise sufficiently above it.

If you're going to make big changes to intake and exhaust, you need to compensate somehow; the stock ECU covers most changes, at most RPM, but it isn't smart enough to do the whole job.

Been in touch with Dobeck, and their Tech/R&D expert recommended a fuel injection tuner that goes by "part number" 8120094. Claims it was designed specifically for TDM900 - as opposed to the FI1025 which is a general kit for all metric v-twins.

Does anyone have any experience using this specific TFI on his Niner? I will probably order the recommended kit, but any user's advise is certainly welcome.. BTW, it costs $250 before shipping.

Danresh

#15 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:07 pm

That unit looks a bit more sophisticated that the standard FI-XXXX units.

http://www.electroni...tnumber=8120094

I guess it depends on what you want from the unit. The FI-XXXX units only add fuel at various points in the operating range, which was exactly what I needed, a little more fuel just off idle and on light cruise. I also added a little more fuel to the on roll on throttle, to give the bike a bit quicker reaction to quickly opening the throttle. I wasn't expecting to gain big bhp or turn the bike into a wheelie machine. I just wanted to smooth the ride out and cure the lean surging low down the range (damn emissions mapping).

Incidentally the owner of Techlusion / Dobeck, Mark Dobeck was the original founder of Dynojet, so he's been around a while.

#16 RSRocket

RSRocket

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 991 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:46 am

All interesting stuff and having owned my 2003 from new, I have used most but not all the above and have now reverted to standard bike with the exception of cone air filters (attatched inside the airbox to the throttle body rubbers) and Fuel exhausts.

The bike still gets surge in usual 2k-3k mark but is helped by increasing the Co settings via dash (+10 on factory settings to both cylinders),the other unrelated factor that creates "surge" is chain tension.
Hope that adds a little to help.

Edited by RSRocket, 13 July 2012 - 06:47 am.

24 Hours in a Day, 24 beers in a tray !

"I think the firing orders wrong! : ) "
"I do it with Twins"

Lone Wolf Rider

#17 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:21 am

What attracted me to the techlusion product, was the carburetor type logic. On the TDM I can adjust the idle screws, needle position and jet sizes very easily to change the fueling. The Techlusion box allows you to do the same with FI except you adjust four potentiometers instead. With fuel injected bikes, there is very little you can do, other that installing performance chips, air temperature sensor 'fooling' devices or having the bike re mapped. The surging we experience on our FI bikes is certainly a by product of the emissions laws the manufacturers have to work to. They produce one bike for the global market then install different fuel and ignition maps depending on the country it is destined for. With this approach they are going to have to make compromises, riders in some countries will experience issues as a result and ones in other countries won't. To add to this as riders we like to change exhaust systems, air filters etc, perhaps then pushing the bikes ECU beyond where it is capable of compensating for these changes.

For me, if the throttle response and running of the bike is anything other than smooth (OK we are talking about twins here, so not that smooth), then the riding experience for me is not enjoyable. You can talk about 'character' if you like, but for me surging and /or a very snatchy throttle response spoil the ride. So get everything adjusted properly (throttle and clutch cables; valves, chain, airflow balance etc), then if the bike still surges have a look at the fueling / mapping. It'll change the way you look at your bike and make riding it more enjoyable.

Edited by hammerman, 13 July 2012 - 08:22 am.

#18 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:55 am

I might be a bit too forgiving of the 9'ers foibles, but I don't think I experience the surge people talk about. The tweaks I've done are the airbox mod, K&N filter and upped the CO setting. The throttle is a little snatchy from start but I control that with the clutch. Yes it farts and splutters just like me first thing but then smooths out.

I haven't owned a really big multi cylinder (only up to 750) bike so maybe it's just what I'm used to?

#19 beerbelly

beerbelly

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 67 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:26 pm

QUOTE(TKH @ Fri 13th Jul 2012, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I might be a bit too forgiving of the 9'ers foibles, but I don't think I experience the surge people talk about. The tweaks I've done are the airbox mod, K&N filter and upped the CO setting. The throttle is a little snatchy from start but I control that with the clutch. Yes it farts and splutters just like me first thing but then smooths out.

I haven't owned a really big multi cylinder (only up to 750) bike so maybe it's just what I'm used to?

Yeah I don't seem to have an issue, although I am running K&N, enlarged airbox intake and aftermarket cans. A bit of clutch slip to get going and all is well.

Also dragging the rear brake is good practise for cornering to avoid chain slap. It's what our man Casey Stoner does, learned during his off road days

----------------------------------------------------
2007 TDM 900, fuel cans, k&n filter, air box mod, heated grips, scott oiler, crash bungs, Givi engine bars, hand guards, custom screen, Givi wing rack, 42L side cases, 40L top box, sat nav, 12v socket, Pilot Road 2 front, Battlax BT020 rear (emergency replacement)

#20 RSRocket

RSRocket

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 991 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:07 pm

HMMMM Carbs onto a Niner !! ? Anyone?
24 Hours in a Day, 24 beers in a tray !

"I think the firing orders wrong! : ) "
"I do it with Twins"

Lone Wolf Rider