#1 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:03 am

Thinking on here. Whats the best deal for a week's worth of breakdown cover whilst were there?
For the owners of the older bikes, might be a good thing.

Also, Is it just the case of ringing the insurer to let them know were off out for the week?

#2 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:30 am

if you are with carols gash or bennetts-gay-club then you should be covered insurance wise, as they both do free euro cover for a limited time
when trying to get euro breakdown cover for my 850 it was cheaper to pay bennetts the full years breakdown-plus cover(£59 with free euro cover included) than it was 2weeks cover(£66 for a 1991bike huh.gif ) from the RAC/AA

this year i did the price match insurance thing and bennetts threw the breakdown cover in for free wink.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#3 Spongey

Spongey

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:55 am

On other sites it has been reported that Carole will not recover a bike if the value is less than the cost of recovery. Prob not a problem from Ireland but something to bear in mind if you have an old nail.

#4 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:47 pm

QUOTE(Spongey @ Tue 12th Feb 2008, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On other sites it has been reported that Carole will not recover a bike if the value is less than the cost of recovery. Prob not a problem from Ireland but something to bear in mind if you have an old nail.

Tony, I think he's talking about us!

Love the Avatar good.gif

#5 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:50 pm

CN have an Irish office, may help to know that if you are twisting arms smile.gif

Stu

#6 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:45 pm

I've just renewed my insurance with Swinton (£104 TPFT, legal cover, protected no claims, 6 points on licence) and that covers me anywhere in the EU plus some other countries who use the same insurance standards as EU. Thier breakdown cover would get me home from anywhere in europe for £40/yr but would only be £25/yr if the bike was under 10 yr old. Seems a good deal to me. Just looked at the RAC website and as an existing member I can get 10% discount on european cover...which would bring the price of a years cover anywhere in Europe down to £176, or £81 for a week in Ireland blink.gif

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:49 am

Perish the thought that anyone should have a mishap during this or any other RTT, especially one involving a third party, but just in case, a free copy of the European Accident Statement form + guidelines (some moneymaking b*****s charge for this! ranting.gif ) can be found here.. Worth having a couple of copies handy with your side already filled out.

Now, back to "What to wear"?

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#8 Guest_Negwedar_*

Guest_Negwedar_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:59 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Sun 29th Jun 2008, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...... can be found here.. Worth having a couple of copies handy with your side already filled out.

Now, back to "What to wear"?

Good call. wifgeni.gif
FYI I'm insured with e-bike, I checked the faqs on the website RoI is covered on all standard policies, as are Albania, Bogdova, Ruritania, Transylvania, Tsort, Mesopotamia, and a whole sh##load of other places I've barely heard of.
I have a freebie Green Flag deal which comes as part of my bank account, of all things, so I rang them (Green Flag, that is) and a man with a funny accent said "You got cover all over europe, mate, don't worry. So I'm sorted.

Usual HG tuareg jacket, adjust insulation with t shirt(s)
Leather trousers
In case of inclement weather the ensemble can be covered by
The embarrassing waterproofs
Short black boots, white hat with ugly red demon face. Painted on the hat, that is, not my face dry.gif

#9 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:17 pm

QUOTE(Negwedar @ Mon 30th Jun 2008, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Short black boots, white hat with ugly red demon face. Painted on the hat, that is, not my face dry.gif

Tony can of course fill out the whole form beforehand as he knows what accident he's going to have - the only one he hasn't had yet tongue.gif

Irish rules of homologation, btw, require that boots be marked "left" in red and "right" in green, and the hat be turned up at the front. smile.gif

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#10 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:23 pm

dry.gif

accidents are banned, we've had enough carpedians down already this year sad.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#11 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:31 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Mon 30th Jun 2008, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dry.gif
accidents are banned, we've had enough carpedians down already this year sad.gif

Agreed - let's have an easy meet.

#12 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:19 pm

Well Get this Team Ireland:

Just off the phone to Bennetts.

Talked to Issac.

RAC cover from now till 16th August when renewal is due.
With me so far?

If the bike cannot be fixed at the side of the road then the bike will be transported to my home postcode.

Ready?

£7.50 including Admin and authorisation fees

That's right

7.50 Sterling

Beat that laugh.gif

Will read the T&C when they arrive just to be sure.

I need a cup of tea for this shock.

Gow'on Gow'on Gow'on Gow'on

Edit: Found this to play with

Edited by CatsBum, 30 June 2008 - 05:38 pm.

#13 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:27 pm

Right:

Just to be sure I now have all the right papers for the TankBag:::

E111 Card
Travel Insurance
Euro Breakdown Cover
Passport
Driving Licence
Ferry Booking form
Maps

That it? unsure.gif

#14 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:54 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Mon 30th Jun 2008, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right:

E111 Card
Travel Insurance
Euro Breakdown Cover
Passport
Driving Licence
Ferry Booking form
Maps

That it? unsure.gif

do we really need a passaporty

Edited by Hartside Man, 30 June 2008 - 09:55 pm.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#15 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:54 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Mon 30th Jun 2008, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right:

E111 Card
Travel Insurance
Euro Breakdown Cover
Passport
Driving Licence
Ferry Booking form
Maps

That it? unsure.gif

Fiancial Times and Gayboy Weekly?

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#16 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:25 am

QUOTE(Hartside Man @ Mon 30th Jun 2008, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
do we really need a passaporty

No, but some form of photo I.D. would be useful.
Drivers here are required to carry licences with them.

Stu

#17 TeDeum

TeDeum

age(d) by almonds

• 1,736 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:51 am

Cars here are required to display a 'disc' (actually square!) which shows they have insurance. I was advised by a Garda (policeman to you) to carry my insurance certs for the bikes with me so I have them with my licence in my back pocket. Don't know if this is relevant for visitors.

2001 TDM. 1990 Serow. 2004 DRZ400.  3 bikes, four cylinders. Who needs more?

Visit My Website

"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current" Horace.

"A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man"

Founder of TSRMCMAS.

#18 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:51 pm

QUOTE(TeDeum @ Tue 1st Jul 2008, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cars here are required to display a 'disc' (actually square!) which shows they have insurance. I was advised by a Garda (policeman to you) to carry my insurance certs for the bikes with me so I have them with my licence in my back pocket. Don't know if this is relevant for visitors.

it is elsewhere in europe, so i'd suggest visitors bring them along

My TDM :

#19 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:09 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Tue 1st Jul 2008, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it is elsewhere in europe, so i'd suggest visitors bring them along

s'not quite like anywhere else in Europe biggrin.gif

A reminder to visitors -

Driving 'skills' are not a given:
Learner drivers have only recently been required to have an accompanying driver with them. To avoid being stopped now whilst driving unaccompanied, the solution for some drivers has been to take down the L plates....

Learners on bikes now have to wear a yellow tabard with L plates on it - L's are not required to be displayed on the bike. You can imagine how many don't wear the vest...

Not all test centres have/had a roundabout in their area, so some full licence holders have not been taught how to deal with roundabouts...

Indicators are optional to many road users - be wary of any signals given as they may be simply due to the driver discovering the novelty of a new switch.

Farm gates in use, and hedge trimmers ahead, are often warned in advance by the simple expedient of a red rag hung on a stick in the hedge. Not all farmers have red rags.....

There are still farms with fields and milking parlours separated by a major road. Twice a day the cattle will be brought across.

Warning signs for bends are generally there for your benefit and are worth taking note of. County Councils don't have the kind of budget that their British counterparts have to scatter chevrons and arrows around the countryside willy-nilly.

Irish drivers in German cars have all read about unrestricted autobahnen and drive accordingly whenever they encounter a dual carriageway of any description.

and from a Yank driving in Ireland:
Outside urban areas, you'll find a lot of one-and-a-half lane highways: three-quarters of a lane for traffic in each direction. Oncoming drivers usually slow down when passing on narrow roads. But there are a few who expect you to swerve off and avoid them. My advice: Do what they expect. Slamming on the brakes for oncoming traffic may irk the guy behind you. But the alternative is… have I mentioned the stone walls?

Too-fast drivers are another problem. They come in two breeds: people behind you and people coming toward you

And from a German visitor

Sorry about the uncharacteristically long post, it's not like me. unsure.gif

Stu

#20 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:19 pm

rotflmmfao.gif

blink.gif

unsure.gif

doubtfull.gif

cuckoo.gif

isurrender.gif

My TDM :

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users