Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Know Of An Online Maths A-Level Course For Adults?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 29 June 2021 - 11:25 am

As the title says: looking for an online, distance-learning Maths A-level course.

Any suggestions, please?

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 29 June 2021 - 11:57 am

Are you looking for a course that will get someone's maths to A level standard or summat that also has an end examination/qualification?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 12:09 pm

Something that will leave the course attendee with an A-level certificate following an exam.

The attendee is not in the UK and is not a UK citizen.

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 06:41 pm

I may be able to help with resources but not actual exam and would need to do some digging for resources once sillybus known.

Once they find a course, if they wanted any extra and FREE help I would gladly assist if possible via email or whatever.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:04 pm

That is very kind!

Thank you!

If we find a course, is it ok if I link the details here and you can perhaps give it the nod?

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:10 pm

I did have a quick look and wondered if a well known organisation like the open university also did summat at A level.

With all the goings on I also wondered if they could just gatecrash a zoom a-level course. ◉‿◉

It is possible for individuals to sit GCSE and a levels at test centres (schools/colleges) they don't necessarily have to have studied there. So if no suitable course is found, it could be possible to self study and then enter for the exam...though not sure how the non UK residentness would affect that.

#7 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:13 pm

The idea is to get that Alevel to enable enrolment on a degree course in the Uk.

So the A level certificate needs to be genuine and official.

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:17 pm

AHHa. In that case the university may well be able to advise on suitable A-level course. If they have a uni course/university in mind then asking them for advice would be a first step. They may also be able to advise if any equivalent qualification suitable.

#9 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:27 pm

As the title says: looking for an online, distance-learning Maths A-level course.

Any suggestions, please?

The National Extension College do decent online A Levels, including maths. It’s a Pearson/Edexcel course - they’re a long established and we’ll recognised provider of qualifications (used to be BTeC and DaTec for those that remember)

https://www.nec.ac.u.../maths-a-level/

Whatever course you eventually go for a tip would be to look for a provider who’s URL ends with .ac.uk - these are officially accredited educational institutions. Anything else (e.g.  - .org .org.uk .co.uk or .com etc.) are private providers. While not all of these are necessarily ‘bad’ they won’t necessarily hold the same credit points for University entry.

BTW, I’m a University academic and I know my University is quite picky about the number credits (CATS points) required for entry onto undergraduate programmes. I don’t suspect any other University in the UK will be any different.

OU (Open University) do bridging courses but they only really feed into their own undergrad programmes.

Edited by Jim, 29 June 2021 - 08:30 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#10 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:22 pm

Thank you!

Passing all this on!

#11 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:29 pm

Maths teacher wife says you can search on the exam board websites (eg edexel, aqa, mei) or possibly ofqual to find local exam centers when you ought to be able to enrol for the exam. Pretty sure you can't do the exam online though.
Where abouts? Is there a local British school? Eg we have the British School of The Hague here which does a levels.
Alternatively there are equivalence tables for other qualifications, an International Baccalaureate is worth several A levels for example.

Edited by ChrisG, 29 June 2021 - 09:30 pm.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#12 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:34 pm

Good tips.

There is a British School in Tallinn so that might be an option

#13 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 08:43 pm

The idea is to get that Alevel to enable enrolment on a degree course in the Uk.

So the A level certificate needs to be genuine and official.

I needed to get a more up to date maths qualification when I went to uni as a mature student. A local college provided an 'access to engineering'  course which had a syllabus designed to suit the specific entry requirements of the university course. rather than  the full A-level syllabus so I think a college might be worth talking to, as well as ordering up some past papers

This is definitely the year to do it, I heard today that the government are thinking of telling students which specific topics will be on the papers, as a way to help them make up for lost time studying.....Probably need to get busy, exams in a month .... !

Edited by fixitsan, 13 July 2021 - 08:52 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 July 2021 - 08:35 am

That's what I did, also a mature student.  Did my Maths, Science and English GCSE's then did 2 access courses at college which got me on my Uni course.  Saved a year not having to do the A' levels.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users