84 replies to this topic

#1 dwayne dibley

dwayne dibley

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:15 am

My bike is due for it insurance renewal, the paperwork hasn't come through yet but had the call from the sales to see if I wanted to renew over the phone.

So I explain I haven't had any paper work trough yet, so what's the cost I ask? £153 fully comp with breakdown is the reply.

Blimey, thats a rip off I say. I filled in the 'compare the market' thing the other day an the cheapest I had was Swinton at £98 and the same company I'm with at the moment came in at £109, so how come the over the phone price is so much higher? ... erm, sorry I don't know.

So I tell him to phone back after the bike show, where I normally renew. Usually get another £10 off then, an a free T-Shirt/mug/pen!

O, the company I'm with at the mo is mce.

#2 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:17 pm

it pays to shop around, I think Aviva are insuring bikes now.

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:17 pm

do ALL the steps on moneysavingsexpert. There is a thread about it here.

Mine went from £173 to £50 for the exact same piece of paper (plus £100 less on excess!) , same underwriter, same piece of paper, same cover, same everything!

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:29 pm

Try this one for a proper rip off then.......
I bought my 98 850 in April 2008 without even taking my CBT let alone my DAS.

I knew i was gonna do it hense why i bought the bike.

I shopped around and got TPFT for £138.00, not bad i thought so went with it.

After a year and renewal time they wanted £115.00 TPFT and now i have full licence and 1 years NCB so shopped around again and got Fully Comp for £110.00, so happy as a pig in shit.

Mrs Moose passed her test yesterday so i suggested that she insures it for her with me as a named rider so she can build up her own NCB, smart thinking me thinks ...................... oh no it weren't

She has current Comp insurance on her Baby Vara 125 (now sold) so just wanted to swith policy to the TDM.

Lady on the phone says no problem, all it will cost is the balance of the premium @ £70 plus £35 admin plus ........................ ready for it? ..............£3740.00 for comprehensive cover ............... £3845.00 where the hell do they get these figures from?

I ended up adding her to my policy as a named rider for an extra £48 and then insuring the new one for me and her as a named rider again with another company

I WAS SO FURIOUS

Cheers

Moose

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carpe-TDM.net - A place where everyone can have their cake and eat it!!!!!

TDM900/A 2007 Black, DL650 XTZ1200 Super Ten Handguards, Oxford Heated Grips, Double Bubble Screen, Fenda Extenda, Pipe Werx Oval Black SL Zorsts, R+G Crash Bungs, Mirror Extenders, Wilbers Rear Shock with Remote Hydraulic Preload, Wilbers Progressive Fork Springs, Scottoiler Touring Kit, Clear LED Rear Light Unit, Clear Indicators, PUIG Bellypan, V46 + 2 x E41 Keyless Luggage, Black Renthal 755 Medium Road Bars with Brace, 3 x 12v Accessory Socket, Beowolf Rad Guard.

TDM has moved on, i now own a Black 2009 Honda VFR 800 VTEC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without cake, we are merely just people who ride bikes

#5 David H

David H

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:15 pm

QUOTE(Daveb @ Fri 20th Nov 2009, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it pays to shop around, I think Aviva are insuring bikes now.

Strange move for a bus company. dry.gif

#6 kitt

kitt

sticking around

• 39 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:14 am

Isn't Aviva the new name for Norwich Union ?
1998 TDM850 (24k), 1996 TDM850(58k), 1989 XTZ 750(29k), 1999 XJR1300(13k) no more room in garage ! XJR gone to ex, so 1988 zx10 fills space

#7 Guest_Catteeclan_*

Guest_Catteeclan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:26 am

QUOTE(kitt @ Sun 22nd Nov 2009, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't Aviva the new name for Norwich Union ?

Yeap.

#8 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:52 am

QUOTE(dwayne dibley @ Fri 20th Nov 2009, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My bike is due for it insurance renewal, the paperwork hasn't come through yet but had the call from the sales to see if I wanted to renew over the phone.

So I explain I haven't had any paper work trough yet, so what's the cost I ask? £153 fully comp with breakdown is the reply.

Blimey, thats a rip off I say. I filled in the 'compare the market' thing the other day an the cheapest I had was Swinton at £98 and the same company I'm with at the moment came in at £109, so how come the over the phone price is so much higher? ... erm, sorry I don't know.

So I tell him to phone back after the bike show, where I normally renew. Usually get another £10 off then, an a free T-Shirt/mug/pen!

Its def worth shopping around try www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/
they did quote me £50 less than I was paying but the XS was up to £400 so I desided to stick with MCE with the £150 XS. though I did not get the mug/ t-shirt/ pen .
TAM

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#9 BarneyS

BarneyS

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:39 pm

Ebike do me a decent deal. But then I can't stand shopping around for weeks.

Anyone else find them good?

'pirb.
It went E,S,E,S,A

#10 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:33 pm

Hahaha I can trump that Moose
Looking to get bike back on road after year off, 26 year riding, 3 years NCD
Aunt Carole wants £174, fully comp with all the usual trimming included
Stuck details into few sites, average £140 up, stuck it into GoCompare
Got quote from MCE..........

£7519.60 shocked.gif

yup decimal point is the the right place!!!

How in the hell they get to that figure I have no chuffing idea!!

QUOTE(Moose @ Fri 20th Nov 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try this one for a proper rip off then.......
I bought my 98 850 in April 2008 without even taking my CBT let alone my DAS.

I knew i was gonna do it hense why i bought the bike.

I shopped around and got TPFT for £138.00, not bad i thought so went with it.

After a year and renewal time they wanted £115.00 TPFT and now i have full licence and 1 years NCB so shopped around again and got Fully Comp for £110.00, so happy as a pig in shit.

Mrs Moose passed her test yesterday so i suggested that she insures it for her with me as a named rider so she can build up her own NCB, smart thinking me thinks ...................... oh no it weren't

She has current Comp insurance on her Baby Vara 125 (now sold) so just wanted to swith policy to the TDM.

Lady on the phone says no problem, all it will cost is the balance of the premium @ £70 plus £35 admin plus ........................ ready for it? ..............£3740.00 for comprehensive cover ............... £3845.00 where the hell do they get these figures from?

I ended up adding her to my policy as a named rider for an extra £48 and then insuring the new one for me and her as a named rider again with another company

I WAS SO FURIOUS

Cheers

Moose

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#11 angustoyou

angustoyou

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:56 pm

Ebike sorted me a dual bike policy, for £18 less than my Bennets renewal quote on the single bike. Second bike was going to be an additional £79 too. Ended up canceling the insurance on the one, and insuring both together with Ebike. (Did fall due 5 months apart).

I understand the first year discount, to attract new business, but I don't understand the lack of incentive to remain loyal to a company. They spend money to attract your custom, but not to keep it. Makes no sense to me. dunno.gif

#12 mekon88

mekon88

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:47 am

Hows this for fun then, paid my £116 to renew the insurance on my 700 magna, bought the TDM and temporarily for cheapness wanted to transfer the policy from 700 to the tdm then later when feeling flush i would add the 700 back as second bike, fair enough right?
to transfer the tdm would cost me an EXTRA premium of £106+ admin fees of about 35 quid, which would leave me one bike insured, a new policy with another company is only £135 guess which i did???? daft thing is that its the same underwriter, lets face it its worth the extra £20 quid to keep em both on the road isnt it

btw. aviva are cr@p for bike quotes, ive got my car with them so get extra discount, still came up twice as much as the other companies

Edited by mekon88, 08 August 2010 - 03:08 pm.

#13 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:47 pm

£98 fully comp, 10,000 per year, £350 excess. 8 yrs NCD.

Aquote good.gif
I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#14 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:39 pm

QUOTE(Geordie Guy @ Tue 17th Aug 2010, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
£98 fully comp, 10,000 per year, £350 excess. 8 yrs NCD.

Aquote good.gif

They're good good.gif

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#15 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:23 pm

QUOTE(TDMick @ Tue 17th Aug 2010, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They're good for old farts good.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#16 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:13 pm

yahoo.gif

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#17 Guest_Catteeclan_*

Guest_Catteeclan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:16 am

(They're good for old farts )

Bugga, that includes me then.

#18 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:55 pm

One day Tony, One day !
I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#19 Bobajob

Bobajob

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:04 pm

I was £175 fully comp last year with MCE which was the best I could get having just passed my DAS a few weeks before. So my renewal comes through last week asking for £246 ! so I go on MCN's compare website and I get a quote from MCE for £130 ! YES £116 cheaper so immediately lifts the phone to MCE quoting my exisiting policy details and ask "Whats the deal here then"?

I get told that they can't match it over the phone as it is an online deal so I said my goodbyes and did the deal online with no issues.
They are still the cheapest by almost £40 but I can't believe I almost got stung for £116 feckin quid !!!
No wonder Big 'Ed wears a black visor and a huge grin, robbin bassad.
1997 TDM850 MKII - Yamaha/Krauser panniers, Nexxus,cut down screen No Screen!, Osram nightbreakers, PR2s, Interphone F4. Missing her already and on the hunt for a newbie!

#20 Doggy

Doggy

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:08 am

QUOTE(dwayne dibley @ Fri 20th Nov 2009, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users