43 replies to this topic

#1 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:31 pm

For some unknown reason March's bike is out.

Went through the reviews of all the new bikes and was Fookin LIVID !!!! to read this. ranting.gif

This was complied by this editor !

mike@bikemagazine.co.uk

you may wish to drop him a line, be constructive, if you can.

I will be, will post it later.

Ivan

Edited by Geordie Guy, 01 February 2010 - 07:33 pm.

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:46 pm

Did you forget to post the bit that made you livid?

"850 has more spunk"......was that it. laugh.gif
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:29 pm

We who ride the 900 (and 850) all know what a bike they really are.
We all have passion, that's why the first gens created the RTT's

Move on, give the Editor a hanky.......

#4 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:17 pm

E-mail sent. to mike@bikemagazine.co.uk

Mike, I read with interest your professional review of the new TDM in March's edition of your magazine.
I am surprised to find words like "innocuous, forgettable" being used next to "supremely comfortable, practical ".I presume you meant these words in a condescending manner ?

However, Innocuous means to producing no ill effect, not injurious. By placing this next to supremely comfortable, should read that this bike can be used for "comfortable all day touring "Forgettable, means unnoticed, ie you can ride this bike all day and not notice, its so easy.

There are two things here, that you have written this for your typical reader, who you think probably likes bikes that, are uncomfortable to ride, drink petrol, scare the pants off them at every corner and costs a fortune to service, Bikes that break down now and again, just to keep the mechanics in employ.

The other thing to think about is: You may have some readers like me, who want a reliable bike, with fantastic mpg, easy to work on, easy to ride, steady work horse that they can ride all day on and still walk to the pub at the end, to talk with their mates how good biking is.

Who actually buys these?

Bikers who love to spend their time and money, on effortless riding, practical, supremely comfortable, economical, reliable bikes.... Like me.

I would like to think that someone at your magazine, would consider writing for Riders who are not hell bent on acting like Rossi, or pretending that every sunny, dry day is a track day to show their biker buddies how mental they are.

Some of your readers, don’t believe everything they read.

Cheers, Ivan

QUOTE(dapleb @ Mon 1st Feb 2010, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"850 has more spunk"......was that it. laugh.gif
Where's all the spunk coming from I wonder ! doubtfull.gif

Edited by Geordie Guy, 01 February 2010 - 09:27 pm.

#5 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• 3,312 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:20 pm

QUOTE(Geordie Guy @ Mon 1st Feb 2010, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
E-mail sent. to mike@bikemagazine.co.uk

Mike, I read with interest your professional review of the new TDM in March's edition of your magazine.
I am suprised to find words like "innocuous, forgettable" being used next to "supremely comfortable, practicle".I pressume you ment these words in a condescending manner ?

However, Innocuous means to producing no ill effect, not injurious. By placing this next to supremely comfortable, should read that this bike can be used for "comfortable all day touring"Forgettable, means unnoticed, ie you can ride this bike all day and not notice, its so easy.

There are two things here, that you have written this for your typical reader, who you think probably likes bikes that, are uncomfortable to ride, drink petrol, scare the pants off them at every corner and costs a fortune to service, Bikes that break down now and again, just to keep the mechanics in employ.

The other thing to think about is: You may have some readers like me, who want a reliable bike, with fantastic mpg, easy to work on, easy to ride, steady work horse that they can ride all day on and still walk to the pub at the end, to talk with their mates how good biking is.

Who actually buys these?

Bikers who love to spend their time and money, on effortless riding, practical, supremely comfortable, ecconomical, reliable bikes.... Like me.

I would like to think that someone at your magazine, would consider writing for Riders who are not hell bent on acting like Rossi, or pretending that every sunny, dry day is a track day to show their biker buddys how mental they are.

Some of your readers, dont believe everything they read.

Cheers, Ivan

Where's all the spunk coming from I wonder ! doubtfull.gif

Hope you used a spell checker before you sent it rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif

Moose

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carpe-TDM.net - A place where everyone can have their cake and eat it!!!!!

TDM900/A 2007 Black, DL650 XTZ1200 Super Ten Handguards, Oxford Heated Grips, Double Bubble Screen, Fenda Extenda, Pipe Werx Oval Black SL Zorsts, R+G Crash Bungs, Mirror Extenders, Wilbers Rear Shock with Remote Hydraulic Preload, Wilbers Progressive Fork Springs, Scottoiler Touring Kit, Clear LED Rear Light Unit, Clear Indicators, PUIG Bellypan, V46 + 2 x E41 Keyless Luggage, Black Renthal 755 Medium Road Bars with Brace, 3 x 12v Accessory Socket, Beowolf Rad Guard.

TDM has moved on, i now own a Black 2009 Honda VFR 800 VTEC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without cake, we are merely just people who ride bikes

#6 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:30 pm

QUOTE(Moose @ Mon 1st Feb 2010, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hope you used a spell checker before you sent it

I have now, Moose.

Cheers, Ivan

#7 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:34 pm

I subscribe to Bike and to be honest I've enjoyed reading it ..... until recently. For the last few months they should have changed the magazine's name to "1 Litre Sports Bike"! There have been individual tests of eack of the major manufacturer's 1000cc sportsbikes each month. Then a group test of 1000cc sportsbikes the next month. Then, when a new 1000cc sportsbike comes out and they test that. Then, next month, they do another group comparison with the new bike. It's a pity because they have good columnists - Rupert Paul and Mat Oxley to name two and most issues usually have a interesting feature on some Top Gear style "challenge", but the rest of the mag has gone downhill. I'm not surprised about the TDM comments, I've come to expect it from bike journos. They get spoilt riding exotica that are out of most people's financial reach and look down on the kind of bike most riders enjoy riding day to day. I may cancel my subscription soon, but what magazine shall I get in it's place? I'll fire off an email to the editor tomorrow, just for the hell of it!

Edited by Matlock, 01 February 2010 - 09:39 pm.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#8 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:01 pm

I don't consider 'innocuous' and 'forgettable' that negative. Flash is not the reason I buy a bike.

How does a person get to be an editor who uses 'innocuous' and 'forgettable' in the same description?
That's like 'it was a dark and stormy night'.
They mean practically the same thing.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#9 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:14 pm

QUOTE(Matlock @ Mon 1st Feb 2010, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I subscribe to Bike and to be honest I've enjoyed reading it ..... until recently. For the last few months they should have changed the magazine's name to "1 Litre Sports Bike"! There have been individual tests of eack of the major manufacturer's 1000cc sportsbikes each month. Then a group test of 1000cc sportsbikes the next month. Then, when a new 1000cc sportsbike comes out and they test that. Then, next month, they do another group comparison with the new bike. It's a pity because they have good columnists - Rupert Paul and Mat Oxley to name two and most issues usually have a interesting feature on some Top Gear style "challenge", but the rest of the mag has gone downhill. I'm not surprised about the TDM comments, I've come to expect it from bike journos. They get spoilt riding exotica that are out of most people's financial reach and look down on the kind of bike most riders enjoy riding day to day. I may cancel my subscription soon, but what magazine shall I get in it's place? I'll fire off an email to the editor tomorrow, just for the hell of it!

I'm of the same opinion matlock ........most of the Bauer Media magazines are getting the same ......regurgitating the last 4 weeks MCN bike tests - so its all the sportsbikes in an endless carousel of reviews, without really changing any of the wording dry.gif
I've got subscriptions to Bike, Ride, & Classic Bike .........I'm seriously thinking of knocking the first 2 on the head.

If you want a good alternataive read, then Motorcycle Sport & Leisure is a much more balanced & informative magazine with some very good columnists, like Kevin & Julia Sanders

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#10 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:18 pm

QUOTE(sidestand @ Mon 1st Feb 2010, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm of the same opinion matlock ........most of the Bauer Media magazines are getting the same ......regurgitating the last 4 weeks MCN bike tests - so its all the sportsbikes in an endless carousel of reviews, without really changing any of the wording dry.gif
I've got subscriptions to Bike, Ride, & Classic Bike .........I'm seriously thinking of knocking the first 2 on the head.

If you want a good alternataive read, then Motorcycle Sport & Leisure is a much more balanced & informative magazine with some very good columnists, like Kevin & Julia Sanders

Aye MSL is on the up again IMO - even though it's that ginger fecker at the helm now blink.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#11 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:27 pm

Well done Ivan and a bloody good response!

I have raged and written to the press before so let's hope they take notice if we all write this time.

I was so cheesed off a while back I cancelled my subscriptions to T.W.O. (bit too juvenile especially when it glamorizes acting like a t**t) and even MSL ( which was the only decent mag but still not enough to justify annual subs).

I first bought MSL as "Motorcycle Sport" in 1967 when the articles were about 2000 words long, authors only gave their initials and there were no colour pix (haha!). Surely "RK", "LJKS" and "PCV"( along with "Nitor" and "Onetrack") would have delighted in decribing the benefits of TDM performance and ownership in tedious great detail in the old MS mag, and without the clutter of new fangled colour photography. (it'll never catch on)

I think it's also worth telling them that, give the TDM and its 80-odd BHP a twisty road and a bit of enthusiasm, and it will hold its own with most bikes in the real world!

Pete
(awld git)

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#12 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:23 am

I think that up until last year, you could have argued with the bike press, that if the TDM was put up against some of the monster trailies like the GS - it would have represented very good value for money for almost as good performance.
Now it is a different story, as the list prices have gone up so much, you could go for a GS at £3K more & have that enhanced performance (especially the 2010 model) and have yourself a bike that doesn't depreciate very much.
The Journos will use this argument all the time .............and after all, the TDM hasn't had any significant upgrades for 8 years now......as far as they're concerned, both the bike,
and us are just Dinosaurs dry.gif

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#13 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:05 am

QUOTE(sidestand @ Tue 2nd Feb 2010, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that up until last year, you could have argued with the bike press, that if the TDM was put up against some of the monster trailies like the GS - it would have represented very good value for money for almost as good performance.
Now it is a different story, as the list prices have gone up so much, you could go for a GS at £3K more & have that enhanced performance (especially the 2010 model) and have yourself a bike that doesn't depreciate very much.
The Journos will use this argument all the time .............and after all, the TDM hasn't had any significant upgrades for 8 years now......as far as they're concerned, both the bike,
and us are just Dinosaurs dry.gif

Good point SS

I have to agree that, only since the price increases, if you put the TDM at £7500 against the Tiger at £8500 (poss. incl hard luggage deal) the choice is difficult for us.

However the journos attitide has been around for years and I just fancied a bit of a grumble..........

What is interesting is that, despite the media sports-bike fixation, the "adventure" market as a whole is growing faster than any other. It might (possibly) herald a change in emphasis to motorcycle media across the board.

D. O'Saur

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#14 Oafski

Oafski

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:02 am

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Tue 2nd Feb 2010, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aye MSL is on the up again IMO - even though it's that ginger fecker at the helm now blink.gif

Agree about MSL, I've been reading it since the 1960s. I can also heartily reccommend The Riders Digest, £2.50 from your local WH Smith or a smaller edition FREE from outlets like the Ace Cafe, The Tea Hut at High Beech etc.

"No good deed goes unpunished"

"Lags Droopfinger" The Biking Viking

OCD- Old Coffin Dodger

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:47 am

Dear Mr Armitage,

in response to your question 'who actually buys these' posed in the somewhat meaningless comments you provided for the TDM900, may I say this.

After conducting a little research into the 3,000 members of Carpe-TDM, I would say that the average buyer is male, predominantly over 6ft tall and quite often built like a brick shytehouse.

The said members of this site have all been most interested to read your comments and have cordially invited you to attend, as a guest speaker, our annual G2G. This is, of course, on the provisio that your mummy will let you stay out late that night.

Kind Regards

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#16 silver

silver

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:09 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Tue 2nd Feb 2010, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear Mr Armitage,

in response to your question 'who actually buys these' posed in the somewhat meaningless comments you provided for the TDM900, may I say this.

After conducting a little research into the 3,000 members of Carpe-TDM, I would say that the average buyer is male, predominantly over 6ft tall and quite often built like a brick shytehouse.

The said members of this site have all been most interested to read your comments and have cordially invited you to attend, as a guest speaker, our annual G2G. This is, of course, on the provisio that your mummy will let you stay out late that night.

Kind Regards

I feel quite short now at 5' 10".
That is brilliant! are you going to send it? Maybe leave out the last line, we wouldnt want to appear juvenile eh? rotflmmfao.gif
Dave

96 TRX 36K Blue
TBE

#17 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:16 pm

Very restrained Ivan! I kept looking for "WTF man!?" in there somewhere.

#18 mat41174

mat41174

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:22 pm

The TDM has been getting some good reviews down here in the local mags.

Yamaha Australia even built one with a flat seat and changed front end for bigger tyre to show its fire trail capabilities.

Anyway, isnt there a rumour that magazines and newspapers are going under?

#19 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:47 pm

This was Mike's reply .........

Hi Ivan, thanks for the response.

The comments on the TDM were intended to highlight its genuine usefulness. It is a good bike. But, at the same time, it's not as young as it used to be - suspension and equipment levels have progressed significantly in recent years and, while 900 is still clearly capable, it hasn't quite the polished edge of newer machines.

Obviously, on its own, away from the microscopic world of magazine tests, there's nothing to complain about. And, personally, I've a soft spot for the twin - we ran one on a previous magazine I worked for, and it was the office favourite whenever someone actually needed a 'proper' motorbike!

Thanks again, and hope you continue to enjoy reading Bike.

Mike

Why did he not reflect this in his magazine then !!!!!!!

#20 wolfrunner

wolfrunner

seems to like Carpe

• 48 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:49 pm

All the comments above are true and worth reading but doubtfull.gif How many Bike forum's like our own are now Advertising this mag for free because of the comment's about a certain bike .

So if they get a lot of mail in referance this article , good or bad it dont matter tbh. Because the more mail they get in the more they can show the people who pay to advertise in there mag, This show's they get noticed and its worth paying bucks to them as this is the end result.

So if you agree or disagree with the comment's published about any bike within this mag, the more you complain the more they will slag off the said bike's as it gets them noticed.

The more they get noticed the more copy's they sell and the more people will want to advertise ohmy.gif ohmy.gif .

This is a simplistic view i am afraid but one the papers like News of the world and the Sun ect ( in the UK) have made big bucks off for year's .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users