TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:11 pm

QUOTE(Geordie Guy @ Tue 2nd Feb 2010, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why did he not reflect this in his magazine then !!!!!!!

ash him that?
and see if he'll print it in the letters area?

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#22 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:18 pm

QUOTE(Geordie Guy @ Tue 2nd Feb 2010, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This was Mike's reply .........

Hi Ivan, thanks for the response.

The comments on the TDM were intended to highlight its genuine usefulness. It is a good bike. But, at the same time, it's not as young as it used to be - suspension and equipment levels have progressed significantly in recent years and, while 900 is still clearly capable, it hasn't quite the polished edge of newer machines.

Obviously, on its own, away from the microscopic world of magazine tests, there's nothing to complain about. And, personally, I've a soft spot for the twin - we ran one on a previous magazine I worked for, and it was the office favourite whenever someone actually needed a 'proper' motorbike!

Thanks again, and hope you continue to enjoy reading Bike.

Mike

Why did he not reflect this in his magazine then !!!!!!!

I got exactly the same reply back when I sent THIS yesterday:

Mike

Why is it that your magazine's New Bike Guide still seems to show the TDM as being too dull to get enthusiastic about and asks"who actually buys these?"

Perhaps the TDM is bought by who appreciate

- decent performance around 80bph
- light weight at around 190kgs dry
- incredible value to buy and run
- brilliant fuel economy (50 -70 mpg)
- supreme comfort
- utter reliability
- ability to cope easily with luggage and passenger

If this bike had been fitted with BMW or Ducati badges on the tank (and Ł3000 more on the price) perhaps it would be more appreciated.

Given a few bends, a TDM, ridden with vigour but safely, will hold its own with the vast majority of bikes in the real world!

I am speaking from my own experience of about 80,000 TDM miles on daily commuting trips, tours, rideouts and of course, Isle of Man TT visits.

Keep up the good work, but please give buying advice for real-world bikers who actually want to use the machines they are going to invest in.

Pete

I tried to keep to positive and am pleased to see he has replied to us. I genuinely hope that the media does take note of TDM-types in future and if we write to them perhaps they will.

Pete

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#23 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:44 pm

What if......hehe, someone actually sent him an email totally agreeing with his words of wisdom, slagging off the TDM big time ? tongue.gif

Be interesting to see how he responds...........hmmmmmm.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#24 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:11 pm

QUOTE(pete7 @ Tue 2nd Feb 2010, 05:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is interesting is that, despite the media sports-bike fixation, the "adventure" market as a whole is growing faster than any other. It might (possibly) herald a change in emphasis to motorcycle media across the board.
D. O'Saur

Even Ducati has the 'Hypermotard'... I never thought Ducati would make anything but sportsbikes.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#25 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:42 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Tue 2nd Feb 2010, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What if......hehe, someone actually sent him an email totally agreeing with his words of wisdom, slagging off the TDM big time ? tongue.gif

Be interesting to see how he responds...........hmmmmmm.

Well volunteered Studley good.gif
I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#26 Guest_trevini_*

Guest_trevini_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:20 pm

If the TDM is so crap, how come the sports bike ridinmg numptys can't get away from them on real roads and twisties?

I don't subscribe to any mag 'cos they're all as bad as each other.

#27 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:19 pm

Like many others, I gave up buying mags ages ago because they are mainly written for 'power ranger' types and had little to offer practical bikers like us; I even cancelled my subs for MSL last year because I thought it was becoming stale. However, as far as the 9er is concerned, it now has a very high price tag and other manufacturers do produce newer alternatives which cost around the same or are only a little more expensive, many of which most of us have not had the opportunity to test ride and compare.
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#28 JONNYBRAY

JONNYBRAY

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:09 pm

Do you think Dandy could outrace a journo on a modern 600 with a standard TDM 900. THat would make a top class article.

Could put a top box on it and dress in him fluorescent textiles.

Not sure how plausable this is. But would certainly be good to read about.

#29 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:31 pm

could have someone waiting with his zimmer frame for when he gets off the bike....

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#30 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:54 pm

FFS this topic is pointless imo, why get baited by some article in a bike mag ? Ivan yer turning into Pict.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#31 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:27 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Tue 2nd Feb 2010, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ivan yer turning into Pict.

cheers, Wicky good.gif

It might be pointless, but so is a blunt compliment.

As Disraeli said to a young lad who asked what he should do with his life ......... " Agitate ! "

Move over Pict there's a new kid in town badgrock.gif

#32 TeDeum

TeDeum

age(d) by almonds

• 1,736 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:28 am

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Tue 2nd Feb 2010, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
could have someone waiting with his zimmer frame for when he gets off the bike....

I volunteer to be that someone!

2001 TDM. 1990 Serow. 2004 DRZ400.  3 bikes, four cylinders. Who needs more?

Visit My Website

"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current" Horace.

"A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man"

Founder of TSRMCMAS.

#33 dicky1

dicky1

just half a litre to go

• 837 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:04 am

Putting a different angle on it I believe the TDM is a serious bike for doing serious travel. Unlike many of the flashy week-end toys TDM's get used and go places & get you back again.

Perhaps as a toy it's less exciting but now I've grown-up? I have less need of toys blush.gif well most of the time anyway.
TDM 900ABS, Suzuki DR250 twin-cam off-roader
Hers Honda XL1000, TTR250 off-roader

#34 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:02 pm

QUOTE(Geordie Guy @ Tue 2nd Feb 2010, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cheers, Wicky good.gif

It might be pointless, but so is a blunt compliment.

As Disraeli said to a young lad who asked what he should do with his life ......... " Agitate ! "

Move over Pict there's a new kid in town badgrock.gif

Oil drink to that excl.gif

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#35 vilguy

vilguy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:14 am

I too have ditched my magazine subscriptions, ill buy maybe 3 or 4 of them a year as they all have the same reviews in that at the same time. Its silly.

Ill usually buy the mag because it contains an interesting article etc, usually a special etc that i like.

However the journos are simply pandering to the british markets, we brits have never taken into the whole big trailee thing in the way that many of the other european countries have, we're all too focussed on sports bikes etc. Ok, having said that, the trends are changing and the multi purpose bikes sales are increasing year on year, whilst sports bike sales decline, but the truth is, its still a predominantly sports bike orientated publication.

Most people still use their bikes as a weekend play thing and the TDM just doesnt fit into that image for alot of people.

I can perfectly understand why they say such comments in a magazine and ..well i just ignore them.

Most of my previous bikes are bikes that the press hate, so the prices of them remain low.. which is all fine by me! laugh.gif
Present bikes in the higgs house :-

1999 tdm850
1996 cre500
1999 daytona 995i
1999 aprilia mx125
1999 aprilia etx 125
1989 aprilia tuareg 125
1989 DR750 rallye conversion
1996 rg125f

#36 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:08 pm

QUOTE(vilguy @ Thu 4th Feb 2010, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and ..well i just ignore them.

Hi, vilguy from your cousin Geordieguy good.gif

Fair comment, but for me there comes a time when enough is enough,

I traded a few e-mails with Mike the editor and the point was made,

I doubt he will print a retraction but like has been said above, the only thing the press understand is selling copies.

So boll@cks to them, my money is staying in me pocket.

I'll buy some Autosol and polish me bike instead. wub.gif

Cheers, Ivan

#37 MCBodge

MCBodge

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:37 pm

QUOTE(Matlock @ Mon 1st Feb 2010, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I subscribe to Bike....For the last few months they should have changed the magazine's name to "1 Litre Sports Bike"! There have been individual tests of eack of the major manufacturer's 1000cc sportsbikes each month. Then a group test of 1000cc sportsbikes the next month. Then, when a new 1000cc sportsbike comes out and they test that. Then, next month, they do another group comparison with the new bike.

I agree. I bought a few issues and noticed the same thing. I'm just not interested in super-sports bikes.

The problem is that for most bike owners in the UK, a bike is a toy that is used very occasionally, and only in good weather. The mags reflect this with boring reviews about the microscopic differences between bikes that are all too much for most riders, that provide a bit of conversation in pubs and outside cafés on sunny mornings.

If my brother-in-law is anything to go by, the bike is owned for bragging rights more than riding.
ie. Commuting about 5 miles across South London on a track-biased Sports 600, but only when the weather is within a very narrow temp and humidity range,
Him: "It's uncomfortable, but it looks good -By the way, how fast does your tourer <sic> go?" rolleyes.gif
Me: "Well, I've had over 35mph out of it, so on that basis faster than yours" wink.gif

Edited by MCBodge, 05 February 2010 - 03:03 pm.

#38 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:55 pm

the numptys at bike magazine should get in touch with an owners club and get a real world feed back on a bike, its the likes of a TDM that are the back bone of biking as in evry day all day biking good.gif

#39 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:32 pm

"Media publishes something not true" non-shocker. Lot of people getting worked up over not a lot.

Only time I want the bike to be popular and in demand is when I'm selling one. biggrin.gif

Stu

#40 futtfutt

futtfutt

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:08 pm

'Motor Cycle Sport and Leisure' is the only one I read drinks.gif

Edited by futtfutt, 08 February 2010 - 08:43 am.

An old Cherokee told his grandson, "My son, there is a battle between two wolves inside us.
One is Evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies, and ego.
The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, humilty, kindness, empathy and truth.
The boy thought a while then asked "Which Wolf wins?"

"The one you feed" replied the old man...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users