22 replies to this topic

#1 mad frankie

mad frankie

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:55 am

Hi, Just a cautionary story for all those perspective riders out there.

Due to the overwhelming pressure of most of my team at work being bikers; One of the younger members of the team decided to start the long journey to bikerdom and get his CBT.

He booked for a manual bike CBT session so that he could then go out and buy a 125 with the reasonable expectation of being able to ride it.

He turned up, was told that everyone does the CBT on a 50cc scooter, He complained that he had asked for a manual course and was told "if you don't like it, you can have your money back and go home, whats the problem, you'll get your CBT anyway!"

He decided to do the Eight hour course which was completed in three hours (including an hours lunch) and was given his certificate.

As he had about 3 hours of the day left, he asked if there was any chance of riding the 125? answer no, you'll have to come back for a conversion course!

Funnily enough, he won't be going back!
He now feels unsure of what all the other bits do on a bike (clutch, rear brake, gear leaver, throttle) and how to use them safely in conjunction with each other.

I thought the idea of the CBT was to give you a very basic understanding of the vehicle that you intend to use.

If any of your friends / colleagues / family are thinking of going down the two wheeled righteous path, be aware that this is the experience from:

http://www.getbike.co.uk/
[b]Life's a journey, not a destination.][/b

#2 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 01 September 2006 - 12:59 pm

they are blatantly breaking the law, probably worth reporting them to DVLA/DSA.
Stu will probably be able to provide more info on this as I think he is a instructor.

I had a bad experience on my CBT too(with a diff company that is RIPieces), I reported the guy who gave the course and he 'is no longer involved with training'.
he almost put the friend i was learning with off biking ranting.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:03 pm

I thought my CBT training was great....until I did a direct access course a few years later at a different place and noticed the much much higher standard they were teaching the CBT students!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:29 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Fri 1st Sep 2006, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought my CBT training was great....until I did a direct access course a few years later at a different place and noticed the much much higher standard they were teaching the CBT students!

hmmm, maybe we should start a recommended and avoid list of training places. doubtfull.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#5 cupasoop

cupasoop

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:42 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Fri 1st Sep 2006, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd say report them to trading standards and the feds good.gif

#6 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:38 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Fri 1st Sep 2006, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stu will probably be able to provide more info on this as I think he is a instructor.

I had a bad experience on my CBT too(with a diff company that is RIPieces), I reported the guy who gave the course and he 'is no longer involved with training'.
he almost put the friend i was learning with off biking ranting.gif

Ahem

DSA Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) Section
All learner motorcyclists and learner moped riders are required by law to hold a valid CBT certificate of completion.

CBT Section is responsible for:
advising members of the public by telephone of the availability of CBT courses in their area
answering general enquiries concerning motorcycle training and testing
administering and regulating the approved training bodies and certified instructors who provide the CBT course

Contact Details
Address:
Stanley House
56 Talbot Street
Nottingham
Postcode:NG1 5GU
Email: cbt@dsa.gsi.gov.uk
Phone: 0115 901 2595
Fax: 0115 901 2600

hth smile.gif

Stu

#7 Stunts

Stunts

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:54 pm

I work for a bike school in Hemel Hempstead as an instructor and the attitude of that company you mentioned really sucks! Granted, not an awful lot of riding schools do the eight hours - the DSA stipulation is a minimum of 3 hours off road and two hours on road to be exact. I tend to only do CBT's and I start at 8.30am and don't usually finish until around 3.30pm. It depends entirely on the skills of the student. This does not, however, excuse the attitude of the people mentioned above!

If he passes his CBT on a 50cc T and G then he can by rights (if over 17) step straight onto a geared bike of 125cc and ride it. He doesn't need to do a conversion course. Obviously if he hasn't been told where all the gears clutch etc. are he might have a rough time of it!

It doesn't say where abouts you are Frankie (I'm guessing West London somewhere) - but if I can help out with getting your colleague confident on a geared bike I am more than happy to help. Does he have his own bike yet? I'll do it on my own time (and most likely free depending if he wants to go on the road on one of our bikes or not!) at Bovingdon airfield and ask my boss if it's OK. I'm sure he'll let me help out if I'm needed. It'll more than likely be on a weekend. Let me know?
S
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

Done: Sold the TDM, now have a rather large ZZR1200 filling the gap where my TDM used to live.

To do: Keep my licence............

Got rid of that thing within 200 miles - talk about Blaaaaaaand. Got myself a rather nice KTM 660SMC in a fetching orange colour.....

#8 mad frankie

mad frankie

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:36 pm

Thanks Stunts,

I actually live in Sevenoaks, My colleague in Islington, he brought a little cg125 off of another mate..

I spent most of Saturday with him in the local industrial estate with him riding up and down using the bits that he hadn't been shown before..

I think that he's now saving up for his Direct Access...

Thanks for the thought, I'll pass your offer on though.

Frankie
[b]Life's a journey, not a destination.][/b

#9 viper_biker

viper_biker

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:25 pm

Direct Access, CBT, I had none of this. Couple of lessons then my test, there you go son, go buy a bigger bike but restrict it to 33bhp for 2 years (yeah, right) then find the bike with the biggest bhp you can find, scare the shit outta yourself then go back to 400's and an 850 for commuting on. Sounded good to me, so that's what I did.
2005 GSX-R 750, 1991 VFR400 NC30 (road), 1989 VFR400 NC30 (race)

#10 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:42 pm

Note: For Americans it sounds like a good CBT course is similar to the MSF course (Motorcycle Safety Foundation).

I took the MSF course after I had already had a MC license for 20 years and I still learned a few things,
I recommend it for any US riders.

They also have the 'advanced' course where you ride your own bike (basic MSF provides the 175/250cc mounts).
All you need is a learner's permit and riding gear. good.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#11 Lunlunzai

Lunlunzai

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:21 pm

Exact same thing happened to my friend b4. He booked in a 125cc motorcycle CBT section at A'X'T at Southampton but when he turned up he was given a 125 scooter. 3 hrs later, he got his CBT cert. Anyways, He was a motor-taxi rider in Canton so a CBT cert is what he needs. Training is not important in his case.
2002 HONDA CB250 NIGHTHAWK (SOLD)
2003 HONDA TRANSALP XL 650 V
2003 YAMAHA TDM 900 (SOLD)
2003 APRILIA CAPONORD ETV 1000 (SOLD)
2005 HONDA VARADERO XL 1000 V

#12 Guest_dazedandconfused_*

Guest_dazedandconfused_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:34 pm

QUOTE(viper_biker @ Thu 26th Oct 2006, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Direct Access, CBT, I had none of this. Couple of lessons then my test, there you go son, go buy a bigger bike but restrict it to 33bhp for 2 years (yeah, right) then find the bike with the biggest bhp you can find, scare the shit outta yourself then go back to 400's and an 850 for commuting on. Sounded good to me, so that's what I did.

Lessons???

I passed my test on a CB250RS with a sidewinder attached (not the missile) went straight round to a local bike shop, took the sidewinder off, put the pegs back on and rode off leaving the sidewinder there to be sold.

If you're curious what a sidewinder is, Jaymic Ltd

#13 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:34 pm

ride around the local" square" and when i step out from behind a tree,you will preform an emergency stop,That would be the tree with the clip board sticking out,and if it was near 1 oclock it was a guarenteed pass as it was near his lunch hour,in the park bar (1976) yahoo.gif

#14 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:30 pm

Zero bike lessons, 4 car lessons. took my tests when I was 17, 1981, passed both first time...straight on a honda 400/4...Aye them were the days

#15 themusicbox

themusicbox

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 63 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:56 pm

Man, and the good ol' government wonders why there are so many bike crashes! My CBT was crap (I used a training school in Worthing). Used a different school for the Direct Access that was great - ART training (partnered with P&H Motorcycles in Crawley). I don't really like the shop but the training school is excellent.

#16 Guest_trevini_*

Guest_trevini_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:33 pm

QUOTE(E.T. @ Sun 23rd Nov 2008, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zero bike lessons, 4 car lessons. took my tests when I was 17, 1981, passed both first time...straight on a honda 400/4...Aye them were the days

Much the same for me...Didn't have a 400/4, though. I had a KH500 that constantly tried to kill me. I remember it well!

#17 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:13 pm

QUOTE(themusicbox @ Tue 9th Dec 2008, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, and the good ol' government wonders why there are so many bike crashes!

well actually I've never ever had a bike crash or even fallen off (...unless you count dropping it in the garage once, and once in car park where I put my foot down on a lose rock that rolled away, and once where I tried pulling away with a lock in the front wheel laugh.gif ...but I mean no real accidents involving stupid riding or other vehicles)

...and one very minor dink in the car (baring in mind I was driving 50000 miles per year all round europe including paris) at a roundybout car pulls away from stop line (I'm looking right sees it clear) so I continue only to find guy in front has stopped ON the roundy bout. one headlight glass..impact speed <2mph

#18 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:05 pm

QUOTE(divvxj @ Sat 22nd Nov 2008, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ride around the local" square" and when i step out from behind a tree,you will preform an emergency stop,That would be the tree with the clip board sticking out,and if it was near 1 oclock it was a guarenteed pass as it was near his lunch hour,in the park bar (1976) yahoo.gif

Yeah me too but in 1987 clapping.gif yahoo.gif

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#19 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:37 pm

QUOTE(divvxj @ Sat 22nd Nov 2008, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My first driving test was a bit like that too. Except it was a triangle not a square, it was 1989, and it was a 5.8 litre straight 6 tongue.gif

Didn't do my bike test until 1997, just before the DAS came in.

Edited by ChrisG, 09 December 2008 - 11:38 pm.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#20 Spongey

Spongey

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:14 am

You can imagine how hard my test was in 1961!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users