#1 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:01 am

is it stolen?

I can't believe it, I've just bought a Garmin Zumo 400 from eBay, the listing looks genuine and so I bought it. Well it was delivered today and there's no pin number. Why else would the seller send it with no PIN number and it still locked. Damn I feel like a right idiot for buying stolen goods from eBay...argh!

I've contacted the seller who has 100% positive feedback over 300.

I've raised a case with eBay. Should I go to the Police too?

#2 paddy900

paddy900

roondaboot

• 1,246 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:40 am

Wait to see if the seller gets back in touch with you,

Had a look at his previous sales, he has sold a lot of motorbike gear,

Maybe it was just an oversight on his part. istupid.gif

E bay will not do anything yet ..
2003 TDM900 in Yellow....Best Colour, Fender extender, Oxford Heated Grips, Givi luggage, Mirror extenders, GS1150 Handguards, Matching seat cover, Belly Pan, R&G crash bungs, Touring screen, Meta alarm, K&N Air Filter,
Centre Stand, Scottoiler,Carbon Cans......really loud, Stainless steel Rad Guard, 12v Accessory socket,

Join us on Facebook

#3 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:03 am

Yeah I'll wait and see if he replies. In hindsight I can see in the photos that it's only photographed in the boot screen, I reckon that's because he doesn't know the PIN and thus it doesn't get as far as the map screen......

#4 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:32 am

Looking at the add it doesn't say that it can't be used beyond the boot screen and he does say it's easy to set up. Therefore if you get no-where then goods are not fit for purpose and are not as described. Presume you paid via Paypal? They usually are sympathetic to the payer unless it's clear they are at fault. If it gets to refund, push for the full price inc P&P and cost of return, if you can.

Maybe it will all work out ok?

#5 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:49 am

Cheers, I've re-read the ad to see if I missed anything but there's no mention of the PIN lock being active, not having the PIN etc. If the bloke owned it and forgot to send me the PIN with it, well ok but.... He's at home when he's sold it (I guess) so the PIN lock would not be active (automatically starts right up in the 'Secure location') and thus why does the photo not show the Garmin navigation screen? The more I look at this the more I realise I've been ripped off. Damn it notfunny.gif

#6 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:55 am

This is simple Mark. The item is not as described. Under Ebay rules you can open a claim, in a few days I believe and get your money back Via PayPal

You will most likely find that the seller wants the unit returned if he wants to avoid paypal. Dont do this. He will sell it again and catch someone else with it

Tell him that you understand the unit to be not as described and hold the stolen bit as your trump card

Martin

#7 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:56 am

I hope u paid with paypal! If you did then;
Contact seller, give them day or two to reply
No joy then raise with ebay, seller gets 7 days to respond
If still no joy you should be entitled to refund

I had to do it recently on set of textile clothing that was never dispatched, got full refund inside of 5 days

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#8 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:03 pm

Cheers guys.

Yes indeed I did pay with Paypal and maybe a bit hasty but I've raised a claim already.

The more I look at the ad the more it stinks. I'm looking for a full refund but as I figure it's a stolen unit I don't really want to return it, I figure it should go to the old bill..... but are they going to be interested? hmm.... I guess I'll see what eBay say on the matter.

The seller states that he's selling the unit as he's going travelling...... so I guess he doesn't care about his eBay feedback any more...

#9 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:11 pm

Potential options:
  1. Push seller for full refund (inc postage & return fees), make a note of the model & serial number, and pass that onto Garmin at the same time for them to check their database (most people would register their Nav's one assumes)
  2. Report to Police & Garmin, and pass seller details on
  3. Attempt to crack the PIN (only 10000 possible combinations, and as long as the unit doesn't have a 10 times & bust) Bit mind numbing, but something to do during the adverts of Corrie etc tongue.gif
Personally it's option 1 for me...
MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#10 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:27 pm

i would push seller for a refund, if no joy within 5 workdays proceed with the claim AND report to Garmin and the Police

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:52 pm

QUOTE(Cats @ Tue 6th Sep 2011, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is simple Mark. The item is not as described. Under Ebay rules you can open a claim, in a few days I believe and get your money back Via PayPal

You will most likely find that the seller wants the unit returned if he wants to avoid paypal. Dont do this. He will sell it again and catch someone else with it

Tell him that you understand the unit to be not as described and hold the stolen bit as your trump card

Martin

I think you'll find that you will need to return the item, and also provide proof of delivery. So you'll have to return the item via recorded delivery. Ebay won't refund you if you can't prove it's been returned. As soon as it's been signed for by the seller, notify ebay and you'll get yer full costs refunded.
Another possibility is that ebay will ask you to send the item to them instead of the seller.

Don't worry chap, your ass is covered with ebay/paypal ! smile.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#12 fatchap

fatchap

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Location:Sunny Blackpool The FORMER home of Premier League Football
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:25 pm

QUOTE(maximuspetrolhead @ Tue 6th Sep 2011, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheers guys.

Yes indeed I did pay with Paypal and maybe a bit hasty but I've raised a claim already.

The more I look at the ad the more it stinks. I'm looking for a full refund but as I figure it's a stolen unit I don't really want to return it, I figure it should go to the old bill..... but are they going to be interested? hmm.... I guess I'll see what eBay say on the matter.

The seller states that he's selling the unit as he's going travelling...... so I guess he doesn't care about his eBay feedback any more...

Maybe he meant "He's selling the unit as he's a traveller! You've been ripped off by a Pikey. Or as we must now refer to them, Caravan Utilising Nomadic Travellers.

I hope you get a full refund.

Publish his Ebay name and details on here to warn others.

#13 copey

copey

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 113 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:46 pm

Max, if you do have to return the zumo to the seller, don't use Royal Mails recorded delivery, use their Special delivery instead. It goes by a completely independent route, totally trackable all the way, and doesn't get mixed up with "ordinary mail" so wont be intercepted by sticky fingers on its return.

It does cost slightly more to send it this way, but its the only totally secure and insured way to get it there. It still needs a signature from the seller,, so he/she cant claim they haven't received it. Recorded delivery isnt worth the paper it written on.

Dave

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:02 pm

Funny you mention that copey as the only time I have had trouble with posted stuff is when using "special" delivery.....the special bit meaning they pay special attention to thieving the contents. laugh.gif

Nearly lost the entire shim collection this way, and as for it being insured.....only if you can prove the purchase price (not as they say value), which luckily the OP can. For my shims I had to dance like a monkey to get them to pay for the goods stolen by their employee(s) despite sending all the requested paperwork...and then resending scans as the originals were "lost".

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#15 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:35 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Tue 6th Sep 2011, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny you mention that copey as the only time I have had trouble with posted stuff is when using "special" delivery.....the special bit meaning they pay special attention to thieving the contents. laugh.gif

Nearly lost the entire shim collection this way, and as for it being insured.....only if you can prove the purchase price (not as they say value), which luckily the OP can. For my shims I had to dance like a monkey to get them to pay for the goods stolen by their employee(s) despite sending all the requested paperwork...and then resending scans as the originals were "lost".

I know this is a serious subject but I have this thought of you standing at the Parcel counter. rotflmmfao.gif

#16 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:07 pm

smile.gif Shoulda taken a vid.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#17 SelinaXC

SelinaXC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:42 pm

Well playing devils advocate perhaps the guy has just forgotten he's got it PIN protected? It is optional, me and Onanist have one each, his is pin protected mine isn't.
EDIT: Not the exact same model though

Edited by SelinaXC, 06 September 2011 - 08:43 pm.

Tiger 800XC in black & WR400F rider, cohabiting with two TeDiuMs, a Mk1 and a Mk3.

#18 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:53 am

Well he's agreed to take it back and refund..... here's hoping I get my money back ok.

#19 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:29 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Tue 6th Sep 2011, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, I lost all faith in 'special delivery' after that episode. dry.gif

Max, Ebay will pay you if he doesn't smile.gif

Did the seller give any excuse fer the missin' pin no. ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#20 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:56 am

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Wed 7th Sep 2011, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup, I lost all faith in 'special delivery' after that episode. dry.gif
Max, Ebay will pay you if he doesn't smile.gif

Did the seller give any excuse fer the missin' pin no. ?

Seller emailed a pin number, which didn't work...... claimed it worked ok for him...
I tried over 100 combinations and gave up..... you could do it eventually as there is no limit to the number of times you can try, seems kind of not that secure to me sad.gif

So it's all been sent back and eBay state a full refund will be given within 3 days of receipt of goods.

Thanks god for that!

So I'm going to make do with my Phone for Sat Nav duties, just bought Co-Pilot Live for Android, so far so good wink.gif

Edited by maximuspetrolhead, 08 September 2011 - 11:58 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users