32 replies to this topic

#1 Mitch

Mitch

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:33 pm

There seems to be a craze to 'quote' the posts being responded to in full when people reply.
There has been an example recently of a new purchase being posted with about 5 pictures, a couple of posts down the whole of the first post is quoted, with a little comment added to the bottom. Whats that all about FFS. It just makes threads twice as long as they need to be.

Is it my age or does it piss others off too. I can understand quoting parts of a post to indicate what you are responding too when you need to be specific, but to qoute every word verbatum and add 'nice' to the end, well what a load of bollocks. mad.gif ph34r.gif ranting.gif

Honda SS50

Honda CG125

Honda 250 Super Drean

Honda 751F1

Honda CX500

Kawasaki Z750E

TDM 900

PRP exhaust, Scottoiler touring, Yamaha Heated grips, Givi top box & panniers, Garmin, MRA Vario screen, fenda extenda, BMW hand guards. Nippy Normans bar risers. 'Nitram Special' parking light. Starcom. Hagon progressive fork springs. Hagon Monoshock with Remote Adjuster. SW-Motech mirror extenders.GIVI Engine Protectors.

BMW K1200LT (2000)

Nothing to add, has it all. :)

Kawasaki Z750E (1981)

In bits. :huh:

#2 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:54 pm

QUOTE(avonne @ Thu 7th Dec 2006, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There seems to be a craze to 'quote' the posts being responded to in full when people reply.
There has been an example recently of a new purchase being posted with about 5 pictures, a couple of posts down the whole of the first post is quoted, with a little comment added to the bottom. Whats that all about FFS. It just makes threads twice as long as they need to be.

Is it my age or does it piss others off too. I can understand quoting parts of a post to indicate what you are responding too when you need to be specific, but to qoute every word verbatum and add 'nice' to the end, well what a load of bollocks. mad.gif ph34r.gif ranting.gif

agreed.!!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#3 Mitch

Mitch

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:58 pm

I rest my case.

Honda SS50

Honda CG125

Honda 250 Super Drean

Honda 751F1

Honda CX500

Kawasaki Z750E

TDM 900

PRP exhaust, Scottoiler touring, Yamaha Heated grips, Givi top box & panniers, Garmin, MRA Vario screen, fenda extenda, BMW hand guards. Nippy Normans bar risers. 'Nitram Special' parking light. Starcom. Hagon progressive fork springs. Hagon Monoshock with Remote Adjuster. SW-Motech mirror extenders.GIVI Engine Protectors.

BMW K1200LT (2000)

Kawasaki Z750E (1981)

#4 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:04 pm

QUOTE(techno virgin @ Thu 7th Dec 2006, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
agreed.!!

rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif

#5 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:09 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Thu 7th Dec 2006, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif

Soz..... isurrender.gif isurrender.gif couldn't resist !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#6 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:20 pm

grumpy ole fart !

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:25 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Fri 8th Dec 2006, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
grumpy ole fart !

wicky, is your talent of saying so much in so few words natural or can it be learned?.....sign me up on the course !!

#8 Mitch

Mitch

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:26 am

Wick, did you get me text the other day?

Honda SS50

Honda CG125

Honda 250 Super Drean

Honda 751F1

Honda CX500

Kawasaki Z750E

TDM 900

BMW K1200LT (2000)

Kawasaki Z750E (1981)

#9 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:39 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Thu 7th Dec 2006, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
grumpy ole fart !

Nah, he's just tired, carrying his case, Attached File  old_git.gif   2.44KB   0 downloads but he'll be all right now he's rested it smile.gif
Good point about recycling stuff, though, esp. pictures - uses up webspace and makes threads cumbersome to follow sometimes, so I guess we do need better housekeeping?
Just off to rake out the grate and fetch the water from the well.

Edited by Pict, 08 December 2006 - 07:56 am.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#10 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:05 am

I have to agree with Avonne, especially on the Moto Morini thread. Its easy to delete the unwanted parts of a reply so come on folks keep it neat and tidy.
TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#11 Mandi

Mandi

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:22 pm

On my local village forums they ask you not to "quote" if your post is in reply to the one immediately before. Only quote if you are commenting to a post much further back.

smile.gif
I don't commute, I just go for a ride morning and afternoon!

#12 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:30 pm

QUOTE(Mandi @ Fri 8th Dec 2006, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On my local village forums they ask you not to "quote" if your post is in reply to the one immediately before. Only quote if you are commenting to a post much further back.

Still worth cropping back to the essentials - quotes are only to provide a link.

Later note: I agree with Mandi's point, but realise I've gone against that very same advice by quoting her post - the one immediately above! Sorry - shows how much of a habit it can become. blush.gif
Memo to self: Try harder, but don't get too hung up about it.

Edited by Pict, 08 December 2006 - 09:10 pm.

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#13 Mitch

Mitch

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:25 pm

No disrespect Pict, by why did you feel the need to quote the post above yours. Am I missing something here.

Honda SS50

Honda CG125

Honda 250 Super Drean

Honda 751F1

Honda CX500

Kawasaki Z750E

TDM 900

BMW K1200LT (2000)

Kawasaki Z750E (1981)

#14 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:01 pm

QUOTE(avonne @ Fri 8th Dec 2006, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No disrespect Pict, by why did you feel the need to quote the post above yours. Am I missing something here.

he he he i usually quote as a kind of a reminder, suppose it is a bit pointless ! gotta agree bout the Moto Morini thread though wub.gif

PS Mitch i got yer text, saved it too tanks very much.

Edited by wicklamulla, 08 December 2006 - 07:02 pm.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#15 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:48 pm

With reference to an unquotable quote from an unidentifiable source, I was just trying to provide some continuity, while staying in line with the earlier suggestions of the unidentifiable source. However, I clearly slipped up in my attempt to support the recently expressed and largely reasonable concerns of the unidentifiable source and meet the new standards of administrative hygiene sorry.gif punishment.gif . I look forward with some trepidation to my end of term report.

Edited by Pict, 08 December 2006 - 08:23 pm.

#16 Mitch

Mitch

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:33 pm

Just wondering. Don't really care, just interested. I'm all new to this stuff, trying to pick up some pointers.

Will ya make it wick, just a yes, no or maybe.

Honda SS50

Honda CG125

Honda 250 Super Drean

Honda 751F1

Honda CX500

Kawasaki Z750E

TDM 900

BMW K1200LT (2000)

Kawasaki Z750E (1981)

#17 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:51 pm

QUOTE(avonne @ Fri 8th Dec 2006, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wondering. Don't really care, just interested. I'm all new to this stuff, trying to pick up some pointers.
Will ya make it wick, just a yes, no or maybe.

QUOTE WILL A MAYBE DO ??? WILL TRY THOUGH AS T'WOULD BE A GOOD SHINDIG, FOOKIN CAPSLOCK

#18 Mitch

Mitch

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:56 pm

A maybe is good. better than feck off.

Honda SS50

Honda CG125

Honda 250 Super Drean

Honda 751F1

Honda CX500

Kawasaki Z750E

TDM 900

BMW K1200LT (2000)

Kawasaki Z750E (1981)

#19 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:49 pm

To err is human. Have added a note.

#20 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:09 pm

Hi pict, I was wondering who/what you were responding to, perhaps if you included a quote it would make your post easier to understand. wink.gif

rotflmmfao.gif

Edited by Emmett, 08 December 2006 - 10:10 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users