• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 akirasan

akirasan

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:25 pm

I use Shield Batteries in Narborough Leicester great guys know batteries very well

I got a Yuasa for my 2001 850 £40

#22 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:13 pm

I bought a Lucas in March 2013 off of BatteryBay on Ebay and I'm in the boat as you Chris. Battery seems to be failing already and it's less than 2 years old. I hope it gets me through the winter. It's Yuasa from now on :angry:  

Fitted a Lucas LYT-12B4 about 18 mo ago for the sake of higher cranking power for winter strarting, and durability,'Starting has become  erratic recently and failed completely a couple of days ago despite having been charged to a peak of 14.2v the night before. Friendly local mechanic advises battery is on its way down the road to knackerdoom, and that 2 years max is the standaed for batts these days. So I'll be browsing these pages, with thanks for the discount reminder. Hope the reg/rec is  still OK;.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#23 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:46 pm

Fitted a Lucas LYT-12B4 about 18 mo ago for the sake of higher cranking power for winter strarting, and durability,'Starting has become  erratic recently and failed completely a couple of days ago despite having been charged to a peak of 14.2v the night before. Friendly local mechanic advises battery is on its way down the road to knackerdoom, and that 2 years max is the standaed for batts these days. So I'll be browsing these pages, with thanks for the discount reminder. Hope the reg/rec is  still OK;.

I can't see why battery life is expected to be around the 2 year mark when my previous batteries have done double that and more. I'm going to get another Yuasa and Lucas can feck orf from now on. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#24 Murphy

Murphy

arrived on last train

• 6 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 17 April 2021 - 01:06 pm

Bring back kick starters on bikes. 

#25 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 April 2021 - 01:52 pm

This is an AGM battery, right? I had a poor one, learned that erratic storage in shop (no maintenance charging during long storage) easily harm these batteries. I was adviced to bring voltmeter upon purchase... mine died after 1 1/2 years
Bjørge

#26 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 April 2021 - 09:51 am

I think the biggest problem for the battery manufacturers is that they have no way of assuring that the vehicle they're fitted to  doesn't harm them.

Particularly with a motorbike which regularly see long rest periods where the battery naturally self discharges slowly, and discharges even faster when a device on the bike has a light parasitic draw, such as an alarm.

The problem with lead acid batteries is if they're not held at full, or near full voltage, they deteriorate steadily, and bike batteries are often in that situation when fitted to a bike pushed into the shed in September and brought out again in March. Most batteries come with instructions about their 'non-service' care, but the manufacturers know that at least half of the sales will be to people who just don't care about them much, so maybe that's why they only offer such a short warranty.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#27 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 15 June 2023 - 07:59 pm

Them Motobatts were good when they first come out but I'm hearing more and more probs.

I am struggling to find a battery for Dave..thinking of putting it bacon da road after a few years. Cant het a Yuasa by the weekend so thought about getting a Motobatt....has a quick Carpe search and found this ear thread, you were on to summat Cattee......then had a quick google and found this on motobatt reviews.....think oil wait for da yuasa!!!

https://uk.trustpilo...ew/motobatt.com
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#28 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 16 June 2023 - 05:57 am

https://www.amazon.c...x14MPNS9P0IPD7/

I'm not saying everything made in China's crap but a lot is.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users