55 replies to this topic

#21 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:14 pm

Service intervals are every 10,000 km (about 6000 miles), so your next should be at 12,000 miles.
Its basically an oil, filter and plugs change, and check over everything else. Yamaha recommend greasing the steering bearings at 20,000 km (not too difficult) and greasing the rear suspension connecting arms (easy). If your bikes 3 years old change the engine coolant.

The only really big job on the TDM900 is at 40,000km (24,000 miles) when you have to check and adjust the valve clearances.

#22 TDMalcolm

TDMalcolm

really likes Carpe

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:35 pm

QUOTE(Landy @ Sat 17th Mar 2007, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How local ish to the Brecks any good for us Suffolk types?

Hi Landy, he' in Watton the lower part of breaky 10 miles north of Thetford, sooo's not to far to ride, if anyone wants it i'll let them have the address/ tel number
TDMalcolm

#23 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:22 pm

I know Watton quite well, I have worked in Thetford on and off and there is/was a good auction place there.
TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#24 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:53 pm

QUOTE(TDMalcolm @ Mon 19th Mar 2007, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Landy, he' in Watton the lower part of breaky 10 miles north of Thetford, sooo's not to far to ride, if anyone wants it i'll let them have the address/ tel number
TDMalcolm

Can you drop me a line too, please? Would be worth a run esp. in the pre-winter service season, and I'm all for supporting the little guy doing a good job. good.gif

Far from my thoughts today, though - it's just started hailing again.

Edited by Pict, 19 March 2007 - 04:55 pm.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#25 Mandi

Mandi

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:56 pm

12,000 and its a biggy! unsure.gif

Or so my dealer tells me - maybe an excuse to charge loads.

Edited by Mandi, 19 March 2007 - 04:59 pm.

I don't commute, I just go for a ride morning and afternoon!

#26 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:08 pm

QUOTE(Mandi @ Mon 19th Mar 2007, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
12,000 and its a biggy! unsure.gif

Or so my dealer tells me - maybe an excuse to charge loads.

Which dealer? I was told it's "medium" at about 3 hrs labour = about £150 + parts

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#27 Mandi

Mandi

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:10 pm

I don't remember the exact amount but do remember it being more that £300. Maybe a little shop around is in order. unsure.gif
I don't commute, I just go for a ride morning and afternoon!

#28 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:14 pm

Can anybody comment on how much (or even if) having a bike serviced by a main dealer just to get the book stamped affects the resale value? I'm prepared to do oil, filter, plugs etc. to save money but would I be losing out when it comes to sell?

#29 Guest_RSROCKET_*

Guest_RSROCKET_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:44 pm

QUOTE(E.T. @ Wed 7th Mar 2007, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've just paid £500 that was with new chain and sproks, and the valve clearances too - but - ouch! (oh...and an MOT too)

Hi E.T. can I ask what mileage you have on your 03? Valves recommended at 40k aint it? Cheers Rob

#30 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:57 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Mon 19th Mar 2007, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can anybody comment on how much (or even if) having a bike serviced by a main dealer just to get the book stamped affects the resale value? I'm prepared to do oil, filter, plugs etc. to save money but would I be losing out when it comes to sell?

Okay but do the Math. Sposing you loose £500 on the second value (assuming your bike's worth, say £2500) that's the cost of two services - anything after that and you're winning all the way to the bank....AND ... you know everything has been done properly (or at least to your satisfaction).

I'm not sure that it would affect it that much though, provided the bike doesn't show stripped screw heads, panels put on back to front, lose cables etc!

#31 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:08 pm

QUOTE(RSROCKET @ Mon 19th Mar 2007, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi E.T. can I ask what mileage you have on your 03? Valves recommended at 40k aint it? Cheers Rob

22k miles = 35k Kms - thought I'd do it with the servicing (I service at closer spacing than Yamaha recommends) and at the beginning of the season

#32 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:44 pm

QUOTE(E.T. @ Mon 19th Mar 2007, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay but do the Math. Sposing you loose £500 on the second value (assuming your bike's worth, say £2500) that's the cost of two services - anything after that and you're winning all the way to the bank....AND ... you know everything has been done properly (or at least to your satisfaction).

I'm not sure that it would affect it that much though, provided the bike doesn't show stripped screw heads, panels put on back to front, lose cables etc!

Ta - it's just that the costs have turned out sooooo much greater than in my previous biking days, and I used to do my own routine stuff anyway, but now even plugs are harder to fix - the balance of decisions has shifted. I hear what you're saying but am inclined still to save my servicing dosh for the fancier stuff like 40K camchains etc.

#33 TDMalcolm

TDMalcolm

really likes Carpe

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:46 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Mon 19th Mar 2007, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you drop me a line too, please? Would be worth a run esp. in the pre-winter service season, and I'm all for supporting the little guy doing a good job. good.gif

Hi Pict, Sorry for the delay in responding (on leave) I'll get the address/phone and post it as soon as i can good.gif
TDMalcolm

#34 Stunts

Stunts

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:10 pm

I'd be far more inclined to buy from someone who has done their own servicing and kept all the receipts. Photographic proof would be even better! With Digital cameras these days it wouldn't be too tricky to do.
S
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

Done: Sold the TDM, now have a rather large ZZR1200 filling the gap where my TDM used to live.

To do: Keep my licence............

Got rid of that thing within 200 miles - talk about Blaaaaaaand. Got myself a rather nice KTM 660SMC in a fetching orange colour.....

#35 -AL-

-AL-

sticking around

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:39 pm

does anyone know of anyone online or mail order who do service packs for the tdm mellow.gif
would rather get it all-in-one than shopping around for the stuff

cheers AL biggrin.gif

Without motion there is no sound

ke100..tzr125..zx6r..cbr600f..tdm900..?

#36 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:40 am

QUOTE(TDMalcolm @ Mon 5th Mar 2007, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,
Is it my imagination or do some dealers think we just got of the gravy train huh.gif I wanted to have my 900 serviced befor the spring/summer and asked my local dealer..were i purchased my machine new from for a price for a 6oooml service, I nearly felloff me chair.....£195!!!!! ranting.gif ranting.gif ranting.gif what the $*&ck do they do for this amount of money? can some one please tell me? B*%t$£ds ranting.gif ranting.gif ranting.gif
TDMalcolm

If you don't want to pay main dealer rates, take it too an independant or do it yourself.

you have a choice - exercise it

Personnelly, no one touchs my bikes.
They are all fucking monkeys, who couldn't care a toss about what they do to your pride & joy.

#37 PSGregory

PSGregory

sticking around

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:49 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Mon 19th Mar 2007, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just noticed you're in Hitchin - next time you need anything doing call Rod Ward in Luton, 01582 724 369. One man independent but he seems to know what he's doing and works out cheaper than a main dealer - good for tyres too.

#38 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:39 pm

QUOTE(psgregory @ Mon 11th Feb 2008, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just noticed you're in Hitchin - next time you need anything doing call Rod Ward in Luton, 01582 724 369. One man independent but he seems to know what he's doing and works out cheaper than a main dealer - good for tyres too.

Good tip - thanks for that good.gif

#39 Pepy27

Pepy27

seems to like Carpe

• 75 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:55 pm

QUOTE(Stunts @ Tue 6th Mar 2007, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Malcolm - I have a friend in Burton Latimer - not a zillion miles from you - that may be able to help. Visit his website here and give him a tinkle. Mention that you got his number from Stunts and he'll be able to help you out I should think.
S

I believe i have just used said mechy type and he is now in Raunds.

Mine wasd the first TDM he had worked on but he did a great job. cool.gif

#40 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts
  • Location:Drum Castle (well, next door), Kincardineshire.....well, I am a Baron!
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:23 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Fri 9th Mar 2007, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lucky yer TDM prolly sips petrol at the rate of 50MPG then !!!!!!!!!!!! or then again it prolly sips as much in oil !!!!!!!! "older bikes are cheaper but require more money spending on them" !!

Bit like wimmin then tongue.gif
Gone but not forgotten: 2007 TDM900ABS Competition White, datatagged, fenda extenda, tomtom rider 1, Yamaha main stand, Yamaha heated grips, HID headlights, Yamaha top box & city side cases, MRA Vario screen, CLS200 automatic chain oiler, Yamaha belly pan, DL650 handguards, Gi-Pro X gear indicator, SW-Motech Mirror Extensions, LED side light, Stebel Nautilus AIR HORN!!!!!

(1974....KTM Comet Cross, RD250B, XS750, Wife & kids, DT175, Suzuki GT500, XT500, XT500 (modified), ZX-10 (the 1st one!), Yamaha TT600R, Suzuki GT750B, GT750K, '04 TDM900, GSX1100F, '07 TDM900A, '06 FJR1300A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users