55 replies to this topic

#41 Petetigger

Petetigger

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:16 pm

Following on from previous posts, find a local, non Yamaha, dealer and get to know them there. Their prices are cheaper than official Yam dealers and if they know you and your bike generally provide a much cheaper, better and friendlier service. Supply the parts you need as they can generally be found cheaper elsewhere ( if concerned they'll keep the new bits you supply and say they've done all the work, either ask for the old bits back or consider going elsewhere). Also, tip the mechanics. Not money, just chocolate biscuits or ice creams. I found my favourite garage by getting a Predator exhaust fitted to my old 850 and asking all the shops in the area how they would do it and a guesstimate on cost. Amazing the ignorance among dealers, but the job and all subseqent work went to the guys who knew what they were talking about. Couldn't fault them. Even started getting discounts on stuff before I had to move from the area.

#42 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:04 pm

welcome.gif to carpe Pete.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#43 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:19 pm

QUOTE(Petetigger @ Tue 18th Mar 2008, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Following on from previous posts, find a local, non Yamaha, dealer and get to know them there. Their prices are cheaper than official Yam dealers and if they know you and your bike generally provide a much cheaper, better and friendlier service. Supply the parts you need as they can generally be found cheaper elsewhere ( if concerned they'll keep the new bits you supply and say they've done all the work, either ask for the old bits back or consider going elsewhere). Also, tip the mechanics. Not money, just chocolate biscuits or ice creams. I found my favourite garage by getting a Predator exhaust fitted to my old 850 and asking all the shops in the area how they would do it and a guesstimate on cost. Amazing the ignorance among dealers, but the job and all subseqent work went to the guys who knew what they were talking about. Couldn't fault them. Even started getting discounts on stuff before I had to move from the area.

So tell us, just why did you have to move from the area ? eh?

#44 ynot tony

ynot tony

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:52 pm

phoned two yam dealers in my area,newcastle,one said,6000 mile service £100,other £130,so other dealer dropped to £110 to try and match £100 service will go for this one as closer to my house,would do service myself but bike under warranty so most yam dealers 6000 service £100,shop around dry.gif

#45 slartybartfarst

slartybartfarst

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:38 pm

As my new mount will need the 24K service sometime this year I got a quote from the local Yam dealer (Sale Yamaha in Manchester). £250 if the valve shims don't need changing and around £280 if they do. Given all the other stuff that will get done at the same time I didn't think that was bad. A localish non-Yam dealer will do just the shims for £150, so I'm getting all the rest for around £100. Seems fair enough.

Slarty
Honda CB100N, BSA C15G, Honda 400/4, Kawka Z250, BSA A65 Firebird Scrambler, Moto Guzzi Le Mans Mk1, Suzuki GP100, BSA B44 Special, Ducati Pantah 500, Yamaha XS 650 Flat tracker, TDM 900.

#46 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:52 pm

QUOTE(slartybartfarst @ Mon 31st Mar 2008, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As my new mount will need the 24K service sometime this year I got a quote from the local Yam dealer (Sale Yamaha in Manchester). £250 if the valve shims don't need changing and around £280 if they do. Given all the other stuff that will get done at the same time I didn't think that was bad. A localish non-Yam dealer will do just the shims for £150, so I'm getting all the rest for around £100. Seems fair enough.

Slarty

I went to Yamaha in Calow, Chesterfield and had the carbs balanced, valves adjusted and fork oil replaced for £160.
To be honest I wouldn't use them again. Bad timekeeping, damaged my front fairing with a large gouge/scratch, left the fuel tap leaking petrol all over the engine on my way back home ! AND... I'm sure they only checked the valves as they sound the same as before. Used 5w fork oil !
The servicing dept. were pathetic although the sales and parts dept.'s can be recommended. When I phoned the servicing dept. and told them about the fuel pissing everywhere, guess what he said ??? Bring the bike back and we'll have a look at it ! What a total idiot. Told manager and he said, what do you want I'll get it to you in 2 hours ! Your Mechanics testicles please !

Anyway, would have been a decent price if they had done the jobs properly.

Edited by Studley Ramrod, 31 March 2008 - 02:53 pm.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#47 woza

woza

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:21 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Mon 31st Mar 2008, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went to Yamaha in Calow, Chesterfield and had the carbs balanced, valves adjusted and fork oil replaced for £160.
To be honest I wouldn't use them again. Bad timekeeping, damaged my front fairing with a large gouge/scratch, left the fuel tap leaking petrol all over the engine on my way back home ! AND... I'm sure they only checked the valves as they sound the same as before. Used 5w fork oil !
The servicing dept. were pathetic although the sales and parts dept.'s can be recommended. When I phoned the servicing dept. and told them about the fuel pissing everywhere, guess what he said ??? Bring the bike back and we'll have a look at it ! What a total idiot. Told manager and he said, what do you want I'll get it to you in 2 hours ! Your Mechanics testicles please !

Anyway, would have been a decent price if they had done the jobs properly.

biking is one big rip of always has been always will be do it yourself dealers are a load of ####s end of excl.gif

#48 jdelfino

jdelfino

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Location:Benalmadena Spain no more, The Hague no more, now Hampshire

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:21 pm

Hi, first post! (first TDM too).

Got mine a week ago in Madrid (600km away), rode it here no problems, bike has a lot of power, (came with K&N filter, IXI exhaust and carb jets), also with a bad chain and very soft front fork, bike shows 52000 km ???? bough it from a Guzzy dealer that claims the bike had just one owner??? Today I had the chain (and sprocket) replace, also the fork oil and seals for 120 euros for just the labor... I have no clue on what has been done to the bike (past service), the guy that sold it to me wasn't helpful in giving me the last owner details... Local bike shop says the engine sounds healthy unsure.gif

Don't know what to do at this time (service)... engine oil looks clean (it did burn some on the way down from madrid)... wait for something to break down???

I had a lot of bikes in the past, most were bmw... of course, then I had money.... rotflmmfao.gif

cheers
Sent from my secret Dick Tracy watch

#49 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:29 pm

Nice looking bike m8
welcome.gif
Red one's are best good.gif

Keep an eye on the oil as Mk1s&2s burn a bit, 600 klicks would account for some oil I would think.
The oil should be checked with the bike warm, on level ground with the bike upright most of us have a handy brick around some where that does the job. or near enough.
There is a sight glass under the left frame member (on a Mk2 anyway), use the site search facility or the technical pages at JBX's site for more info.
There's stacks of stuff that can go wrong with a tdm, but not much actually does yahoo.gif mostly wink.gif
Welcome to the madhouse!
Mick

Edited by TDMick, 20 April 2009 - 07:31 pm.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#50 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:08 am

on the 3VD/mark1 there is a dipstick under the seat wink.gif

welcome.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#51 big dave

big dave

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,462 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:37 am

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Tue 21st Apr 2009, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On most of the Mk 1's I know there's a dipstick above the seat rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif

MOTO GUZZI T3 with Le Mans engine, frisky for an old girl
YAMAHA Tracer 700 

RE Himalayan
Down to 3 toys at the moment, need to go shopping I think

I DON'T DO EXERCISE - if God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put cake on the floor

#52 andyj

andyj

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:27 am

QUOTE(Petetigger)
cost of servicing!

Around here they advertise it as £75 for a half hour. In-service.

Another boring night & I'm feeling pissed....

#53 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:08 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Tue 21st Apr 2009, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

welcome.gif

Woops rolleyes.gif

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#54 tommyboy

tommyboy

sticking around

• 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:34 am

QUOTE(MarkyMark @ Sat 10th Mar 2007, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heres what I paid out over the last 3 years

Thanks for taking the time to input the info.
It lets people know how much it will cost over 50 000 miles and the breakdown is 21 pence per mile, good value for 50 000 miles much more fun than a car and you have done it all by the book. cheers
T

#55 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:09 am

QUOTE(jdelfino @ Mon 20th Apr 2009, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, first post! (first TDM too).

Welcome! Don't forget to add your marker to the Carpe map. From memory we have at least one other Spanish member - in Jaen.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#56 jdelfino

jdelfino

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Location:Benalmadena Spain no more, The Hague no more, now Hampshire

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:17 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Thu 23rd Apr 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome! Don't forget to add your marker to the Carpe map. From memory we have at least one other Spanish member - in Jaen.

Thanks Pict! I'll do that. drinks.gif
Sent from my secret Dick Tracy watch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users