42 replies to this topic

#1 bobalob5

bobalob5

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:40 pm

I have just fitted my private registration to my tdm, all legal through dvla with new tax disc ect and all fees paid. I decided to notify my insurance and they charged me £17 for issuing a new set of policy documents but I only wanted a new certificate to save me penciling a new reg number on it.

These robbing barstewards will no longer get my custom at renewal time.

Bob

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:42 pm

Aye, seem to be going to poop a bit lately.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 aytcat1

aytcat1

has been here 4ever

• 1,093 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:30 am

I had a lot of hassle with Carol Nash,when i got a new policy from them the call centre person told me one thing about what was covered, but when i went to claim on the insurance i was told i couldnt claim cause it wasnt included,so i now get my insurance from a local broker.
Bennetts is just as bad, i took a policy out with them but due to certain curcumstances i was at diff addresses for a year each time i told them the change of address they charged me £25 for admin costs,another rip off!!

#4 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:41 am

you should try eBike
no admin charge unless a change of more £25 in your premium, so name or address changes = FOC
Replcement bikes = FOC

best thing is you do it yourself on line

#5 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:46 pm

I started with Bennett's when I had the Transalp, but they claimed I had to start a new policy when I moved to the TDM mid-year, so I'd lose 6 months no-claims record! They blamed this on Red Star. So I transferred to Carole Nash, but I'm considering another change because of this thread and others on CN - eBike sounds good, but is this at the expense of their being difficult when it comes to claims?

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#6 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:35 pm

Just compiled a quote on eBike and an impressd (!!) by the favourable terms and premium - e.g NCD of 5 years or greater is protected for life, zero excess is affordable, etc. Will def. be heading that way. Thanks GG. drinks.gif

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#7 Stunts

Stunts

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:51 pm

I never had any problems with Ebike insurance until my policy came up for renewal. I clicked the button to renew and they didn't. I went back to them (after my policy lapsed and my bike was uninsured - they took two weeks to notify me that my policy had expired!) they offered me a new policy - at £50 more than my renewal price. Sod 'em. Choice Quote gave me a better deal anyway.....
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

Done: Sold the TDM, now have a rather large ZZR1200 filling the gap where my TDM used to live.

To do: Keep my licence............

Got rid of that thing within 200 miles - talk about Blaaaaaaand. Got myself a rather nice KTM 660SMC in a fetching orange colour.....

#8 RevvinKevin

RevvinKevin

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 53 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:34 am

Haven't Carole Nash sold out to one of the big insurance firms? Can't remember who but I seem to remember reading about it.

Apparently the big boys are trying to buy up the independents, which will mean more and more problems with insurers. sad.gif

Honda SS50(4 speed), Honda CB 125S, Honda CB550K3, Laverda Mirage 1200, Kawasaki GPZ550, Kawasaki GPz550 (Unitrak), Yamaha 600 Diversion, Yamaha TDM 900, Yamaha XT660, Honda ST1300, Yamaha FZ6 Fazer

#9 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:54 am

Just tried eBike and they are £30 cheaper than Bennets with a lower excess, so they are currently top of the heap.

Edited by Landy, 30 August 2007 - 08:54 am.

TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#10 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:02 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Wed 29th Aug 2007, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I started with Bennett's when I had the Transalp, but they claimed I had to start a new policy when I moved to the TDM mid-year, so I'd lose 6 months no-claims record! They blamed this on Red Star. So I transferred to Carole Nash, but I'm considering another change because of this thread and others on CN - eBike sounds good, but is this at the expense of their being difficult when it comes to claims?

well, when I crashed my last TDM last year, with a pillion, they've paid up for my pilllions leathers etc and the medical claim is nearing completion.
all very smooth as far as I can see

what they are like with a policyholder climaing on own insurance i dunno, but as I'm never gonna be fully comp I ain't really bothered

#11 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:06 pm

QUOTE(GuyGraham @ Thu 30th Aug 2007, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
as I'm never gonna be fully comp I ain't really bothered

Good point - how many do go fully comp, (presumably only when new-ish?) and at what point do they break off and go TFT?

#12 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:15 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Thu 30th Aug 2007, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good point - how many do go fully comp, (presumably only when new-ish?) and at what point do they break off and go TFT?

value under £1500 i go TPFT

all my bikes are only 3rd party
i work on the philosophy that in a minor crash the cost of replacing the forks or the plastics is about the same as the excess
for anything more than a minor crash, the value of the bike is gonna be the last of my worries

besides the bikes are worth more in parts than as a whole anyway wink.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#13 johnschmidt

johnschmidt

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:34 pm

I've always gone third party f and t, but last time I renewed with Carole Nash they said that fully comp would only be 20 quid more, so I thought 'sod the expense' and went for that. I believe the small difference is quite normal now. Must be some sort of fiddle in it somewhere for them, if they are charging so little.
I went with Carole Nash cos of their UK and europe recovery scheme. Felt quite smug about it on my trip to France in June, till I met a scooterist on the Hull ferry, coming back. He said he had the same recovery, but was not a happy bunny. Said scooter had conked out fairly dramatically on some god-forsaken motorway in Belgium. He phoned for his recovery, and after three hours wait and no contact managed to find a merciful Belgian who had equipped his garage with a bunk bed (presumably for when returning home from session and misses locking him out) and allowed scooterist to sleep there the night with his pile of scrap. Next day he had managed to get his non-scooter to the ferry without any Carole Nash intervention. Last time I saw him he was pushing the thing through customs in Hull, en route to his home in Grimsby.
My God , you've got to hand it to these scootermen!
John
What's all this about signatures Ted?

Don't need no oil drums no more.

#14 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:17 pm

QUOTE(johnschmidt @ Thu 30th Aug 2007, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
fully comp would only be 20 quid more

Not on the quotes I've had - usually aproaching double the premium

#15 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:44 pm

QUOTE(johnschmidt @ Thu 30th Aug 2007, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always gone third party f and t, but last time I renewed with Carole Nash they said that fully comp would only be 20 quid more, so I thought 'sod the expense' and went for that. I believe the small difference is quite normal now. Must be some sort of fiddle in it somewhere for them, if they are charging so little.
I went with Carole Nash cos of their UK and europe recovery scheme. Felt quite smug about it on my trip to France in June, till I met a scooterist on the Hull ferry, coming back. He said he had the same recovery, but was not a happy bunny. Said scooter had conked out fairly dramatically on some god-forsaken motorway in Belgium. He phoned for his recovery, and after three hours wait and no contact managed to find a merciful Belgian who had equipped his garage with a bunk bed (presumably for when returning home from session and misses locking him out) and allowed scooterist to sleep there the night with his pile of scrap. Next day he had managed to get his non-scooter to the ferry without any Carole Nash intervention. Last time I saw him he was pushing the thing through customs in Hull, en route to his home in Grimsby.
My God , you've got to hand it to these scootermen!
John

That just confirms what I was talking about back in June. If the value of your bike is less than the recovery costs then Carole Gash will tell you to whistle for your uplift home. This will be the last year I insure with the fat cow.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#16 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:59 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Fri 31st Aug 2007, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This will be the last year I insure with the fat cow.

Have begun to think the same. good.gif

#17 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:54 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Thu 30th Aug 2007, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Advantage of fully comp used to be that you were covered to ride/drive other vehicles, but you can get that on some TPFT policies now. I've been TPFT on the bike for years but keep fully comp on the car (which is worth less than the bike) to keep that cover. On oldish machinery there's often not much price difference between fully comp and TPFT as the damage to the third party is going to be a lot more expensive than the damage to your own vehicle.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#18 Zorst

Zorst

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 161 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:59 pm

I'm new here and just catching up and working my way through the threads.

I can't understand what bobalob's problem is. huh.gif

Got money for a private registration. Got money to pay for the DVLA transfer fee, what is it, about £120 and yet complaining about £17 to Carole Nash.

When does any company give free admin time, free paper and free postage. £17 sounds like a bargain to me.

They're not gonna let anyone 'pencil in' any info. Its a legal document.

Can you imagine how the document would look when it came to document producer time or to the post office for your tax disk.(yes i know you can get your disk on the net)

Edited by Zorst, 09 September 2007 - 07:12 am.

Zorst/Ken

#19 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:16 am

On a broader insurance theme, I used confused.com to check prices and they found several that where cheaper than Bennets or Carole Nash and with lower excess. I went with The AA in the end and saved nearly £70 on a fully comp policy. Now I just need to find some good value recovery cover?
TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#20 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:35 am

[quote name='Zorst' date='Sat 8th Sep 2007, 11:44 PM' post='52540'
I can't understand what bobalob's problem is. huh.gif
When does any company give free admin time, free paper and free postage. £17 sounds like a bargain to me.

[/quote]

I can its like when the banks charge you £35 not to pay a DD even if you have went a few pence over. If it had been £5-10 you could say far enough.
Just my 2 bobs worth.
TAM

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users