22 replies to this topic

#1 Petetigger

Petetigger

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:07 pm

rotflmmfao.gif My 900 has 40k miles. It was running as if it had a tank full of kangaroos. I took it to West London Yamaha and asked for the valve clearances to be done and for them to check the jumpy running. As it was for the clearances I asked if I should bring it in the night before so it was stone cold to work on. No just bring it in on the day. So I( left my beloved Big Maybelle at 9am. I rang at 3pm and they'd only just started the work "As it needs to be cold to do the clearances" AAArgh! So I went along at 5.30 and my bike is still on the bench in bits. The "mechanic" said it had needed 8 shims done. I went back the following lunchtime to pick the bike up and was told it had needed 3 shims. The mechanic also said they'd had to top up the oil. I thought this odd as I regularly check the oil level. I rode off and the problem was still there so back I went again. I pointed out that I asked for the jumpy running to be looked. Silence. This was followed by "Oh that'll be the throttle position sensor. We'll have to order one" Several days later the job was done and the bike was still running poorly. When I got home I did the clocks diagnostic check and highlighted the air intake temp sensor. Why was this not picked up by West London Yamaha? I also checked the oil level and had to remove 500 mls of oil to take it to the top notch on the dipstick!
Sadly, my experience of the Putney Service Centre is also grim, and I don't trust the Shepherd's Bush shop either. So anyone know of a decent, reliable and honest Yamaha dealer in Central or West London, or Middlesex?

#2 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:50 pm

Trust you didnt pay for the shite service

#3 PSGregory

PSGregory

sticking around

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:46 pm

I used Rex Judd in West Hampstead when I had my Fazer 600. They were pretty good, seemed to know what they were doing, (the bike always felt great afterwards!) and they charged fair prices. Just make sure you definitely get your bike booked in as they forgot to do mine once and I had to return the following day for the service!!!

#4 Petetigger

Petetigger

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:12 pm

QUOTE(psgregory @ Mon 1st Sep 2008, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used Rex Judd in West Hampstead when I had my Fazer 600. They were pretty good, seemed to know what they were doing, (the bike always felt great afterwards!) and they charged fair prices. Just make sure you definitely get your bike booked in as they forgot to do mine once and I had to return the following day for the service!!!

Great. Thanks for that. Will go there next time as they're only 15 minutes away.

#5 Gcclinux

Gcclinux

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 132 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:23 am

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Sun 31st Aug 2008, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trust you didnt pay for the shite service

Yeah I follow that, I hope you did not pay for such a nonesense and useless service.
Honda Fireblade 900RR '99' (Red Bull - Blue & Red)
Yamaha Fazer 600 '02' (Black & Yellow)
Yamaha Fazer FZ6 '05' (Silver)
Yamaha TDM 900 '08' (Black)

Yamaha TDM 900 '12' (Gun Metal Gray)

#6 v8guy

v8guy

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:04 pm

QUOTE(Petetigger @ Sun 31st Aug 2008, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rotflmmfao.gif I took it to West London Yamaha ....

Say no more.

I've had the bike there once, never again. To be honest, they did an apparently acceptable job of the minor service and the TPS relacement but they decided to add some extras without asking me. They changed the brake pads and cleaned the calipers, to a decent standard but expected me to pay for something i would've done myself. They claimed this took 1.5 hours, which I complained about.. jesus, even I can do it in under an hour! Next, they charged me an hour for unseizing a bolt, and finally decided to refill my Scottoiler. They didn't think to ask me *why* the reservoir was empty.. no, they filled it anyway. Several hours later, just before I pulled away from where I'd parked up I luckily noticed the oil-spill on the rear tyre..

I argued the toss with them about the bill, claimed a small reduction much to their disgust and left, hopefully never to return. My friend grew so tired of their ineptitude in rectify an electrical fault on his R1 (they had it 4 times, as i recall.. still no solution) that he went out and bought a Fireblade..

v8guy; 2003 TDM900 with added bling: Nitron shock, Racetech fork internals, 17" front wheel, K&amp;amp;amp;N filter, Fuel silencers, PC3, Renthal handle bar, Oxford hot hands, Polisport handguards, Scottoiler (kinda..), Baglux, Givi monorack + pannier rails
My TDM: http://www.gtv8.org/tdm/

Current: 2003 Yamaha TDM900, 2015 BMW R1200RS
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

#7 Petetigger

Petetigger

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:24 pm

Hi v8guy,
Where do you take your bike now? Problem still unresolved asn am thinking of trying Reg Orpin in Shepherds Bush.

#8 v8guy

v8guy

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:32 pm

QUOTE(Petetigger @ Tue 23rd Sep 2008, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi v8guy,
Where do you take your bike now? Problem still unresolved asn am thinking of trying Reg Orpin in Shepherds Bush.

I've not had it looked at since, so it remains to be seen where it'll go next.. Next service is 24k where I'll be needing valve clearances checked, so it's not a service I'm willing to perform myself. Let us know how you get on in Shepherds Bush!

v8guy; 2003 TDM900 with added bling: Nitron shock, Racetech fork internals, 17" front wheel, K&amp;amp;amp;N filter, Fuel silencers, PC3, Renthal handle bar, Oxford hot hands, Polisport handguards, Scottoiler (kinda..), Baglux, Givi monorack + pannier rails

Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

#9 Petetigger

Petetigger

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:58 pm

Took bike to Rex Judd in the end. I'll give them 1 out of 10, and that's only for politeness. I'd booked the bike in, explaining what the trouble was. They agreed to look at it, then ring back with a diagnosis. Dropped the bike off at 9.30am yesterday, with a written history of the problem and attempts to sort it. At 3pm I get a phone call to say they'd not even looked at it (and this with it being booked in). After negotiating more time off from work I let Rex Judd keep the bike as long as it was first on the bench today. It was eventually "ready" at 5.30 pm tonight. All they had done was reset the TPS that West London Yamaha had failed to put on properly, tighten the cam chain tensioner and replace a faulty Scottoiler pipe. Very little, in fact, to do with even looking at the problem.
So 4 and a 1/2 days off work for 2 Official Yamaha Dealers to do valve clearances and replace a TPS, in reality. Not impressed!
Will either go to Reg Orpin, or to Chas Bikes, as I've got to go that way next week.

#10 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:10 pm

QUOTE(Petetigger @ Thu 2nd Oct 2008, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Took bike to Rex Judd in the end. I'll give them 1 out of 10, and that's only for politeness. I'd booked the bike in, explaining what the trouble was. They agreed to look at it, then ring back with a diagnosis. Dropped the bike off at 9.30am yesterday, with a written history of the problem and attempts to sort it. At 3pm I get a phone call to say they'd not even looked at it (and this with it being booked in). After negotiating more time off from work I let Rex Judd keep the bike as long as it was first on the bench today. It was eventually "ready" at 5.30 pm tonight. All they had done was reset the TPS that West London Yamaha had failed to put on properly, tighten the cam chain tensioner and replace a faulty Scottoiler pipe. Very little, in fact, to do with even looking at the problem.
So 4 and a 1/2 days off work for 2 Official Yamaha Dealers to do valve clearances and replace a TPS, in reality. Not impressed!
Will either go to Reg Orpin, or to Chas Bikes, as I've got to go that way next week.

Hmm, FWIW had few people I know take bikes to Chas Bikes over the last 3 years.....
lets just say that from their reports I dont think you'll get much joy with Chas Bikes either

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#11 v8guy

v8guy

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:51 pm

QUOTE(jht @ Thu 2nd Oct 2008, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm, FWIW had few people I know take bikes to Chas Bikes over the last 3 years.....
lets just say that from their reports I dont think you'll get much joy with Chas Bikes either

Not sounding good... So, I've 3500 miles to learn to how check valve clearances then. smile.gif

To be honest, I've found decent workshops to be as rare as the proverbial hens teeth. On Yer Triumph in near Aylesbury were brilliant when I had my Triumph (yes, I used to ride up there for service rather than use Jack Lilley, who are all of 3 miles away). Motorcycle Action, now Chiswick Honda, were superb before all the guys from the old shop left after Honda took over the business. Other than that.. clowns!

Is there any reason why a service needs to be done by a Yamaha dealer, other than to maintain a shiny service book?

#12 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:08 am

QUOTE(v8guy @ Thu 2nd Oct 2008, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sounding good... So, I've 3500 miles to learn to how check valve clearances then. smile.gif
To be honest, I've found decent workshops to be as rare as the proverbial hens teeth.

Not exactly in London, but they do collect/delivery at nominal cost, I recently used AMS Motorcycles who are near Reading for my 24k service. Was very happy with service and price, could try calling Steve on 01189 695600.

'03 silver TDM 900 with V-Strom handguards, GS1150 bar risers, givi box, baglux tank cover, PC III USB with K&N air filter, S/S rad guard, crash bungs, Tigerscreen, iridium plugs, braided front hoses, OEM centre stand, 15W fork oil & 10mm yoke drop, tutoro oiler & sheepskin seat cover! Gone but not forgotten!

#13 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:35 pm

QUOTE(poldark @ Fri 3rd Oct 2008, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not exactly in London, but they do collect/delivery at nominal cost, I recently used AMS Motorcycles who are near Reading for my 24k service. Was very happy with service and price, could try calling Steve on 01189 695600.

IIRC young FelineButtCheeks used them fer work on 'is XTZ and were reasonably impressed with their service
Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#14 Chris B

Chris B

just half a litre to go

• 827 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:30 am

I take mine to Alpha motorcycles in Southend, maybe abit out of the way but they where brilliant for me no complaints. Grays motorcycle are ment to be good, consistantly scoring high in ride magaznes dealer survey but I was not impressed. They where very condesending to me, I think it was because I am fairly young. Thyey also would not let me order a part over the phone. I needed a rad hose and the bloke said I had to come down and pick it out and pay for it then and there. I asked him to order it in and I will pay when I collect, I dont see why I should have to make a 30 mile round trip to pick out a rad hose that I can easily describe over the phone, it is the only one coming from the left hand side of the bike. He insisted I come down and I said I'll take my business elsewhere. I rung EC bates in Dartford and they where more than helpful ordered it then and there and paid for it when I picked it up job done.

02 TDM 900, Silver. 85k miles 

Givi Box + panniers, Baglux Cover, Baglux Bag, R&Gs, Remus Cans, PC3, Air Box Mod, DL handguards, Hel Hoses, Heated Grips, LED Lights on handguards, Scottoiler, Scorpion Rad guard, Top Sellerie Seat, Gear Indicator, Stebel Nautilus, Wilbers Rear Shock, MCT reworked forks.

#15 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:57 pm

QUOTE(Chris B @ Thu 30th Oct 2008, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I take mine to Alpha motorcycles in Southend....

are you local?
how exhaust friendly are they?
was planning to use the workshop behind Julian Sopers

my TRX is currently holed up over in Ashingdon/Rochford and i need to get new tyres & an MOT'd
PR2s this time as 1000miles out of a set of super corsas is a little on the expensive side.....especially when they dont work in the wet unsure.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#16 mecrox

mecrox

really likes Carpe

• 99 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:36 pm

My most recent experience is with On Yer Bike near Aylesbury (part of the same group as On Yer Triumph). They are a Yam dealer. They seemed fine - polite, efficient, no complaints, service while you wait (which many folks will have to as they are miles out in the country). But the acid test is when something does wrong or doesn't quite work. Before that I tried George Scott in Oxford. They were OK and certainly competent but nothing special, but that branch is now closed. I think they have a branch in London, though. It seems almost everyone has a different experience of getting your bike fixed, serviced, etc.

#17 Fiasco

Fiasco

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 158 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:48 pm

Is this West London Yamaha in Hampton ?

Bought my Fazer there a couple of years ago, but luckily didn't go back for servicing. I think there was a change of staff and management soon after, which was about the time they started doing servicing.

I have used Powerbiking in High Wycombe, who are ok but a bit expensive (aren't all main dealers?) I now use a couple of guys in a barn in Great Kimble (between High Wycombe and Aylesbury), who are very reasonable.

Dave
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse to the trap gets the cheese !

#18 Fiasco

Fiasco

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 158 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:31 pm

Just to play Devil's Advocate............

Went into WLY today to order some fairing screws and suchlike

Bloke couldn't have been more helpful (if a bit expensive), but I will fit them myself thank you !!

Dave
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse to the trap gets the cheese !

#19 v8guy

v8guy

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:28 am

QUOTE(Fiasco @ Sat 24th Jan 2009, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this West London Yamaha in Hampton ?

They're much nearer Feltham, just off the A316... but yeh, I think we're talking about the same place.

I recently dropping on the imaginatively named "Motorcycle Store" on Shepherds Bush Road for some attention to the head bearings. They very reasonably charged me for only 15 mins of labour to tighten them up.

They're a Yamaha dealer just near the green.. initial impression was good, so I think I'll go there for the 24k service.

#20 Guest_Wayfarer_*

Guest_Wayfarer_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:33 am

QUOTE(Petetigger @ Sun 31st Aug 2008, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rotflmmfao.gif My 900 has 40k miles. It was running as if it had a tank full of kangaroos. I took it to West London Yamaha and asked for the valve clearances to be done and for them to check the jumpy running. As it was for the clearances I asked if I should bring it in the night before so it was stone cold to work on. No just bring it in on the day. So I( left my beloved Big Maybelle at 9am. I rang at 3pm and they'd only just started the work "As it needs to be cold to do the clearances" AAArgh! So I went along at 5.30 and my bike is still on the bench in bits. The "mechanic" said it had needed 8 shims done. I went back the following lunchtime to pick the bike up and was told it had needed 3 shims. The mechanic also said they'd had to top up the oil. I thought this odd as I regularly check the oil level. I rode off and the problem was still there so back I went again. I pointed out that I asked for the jumpy running to be looked. Silence. This was followed by "Oh that'll be the throttle position sensor. We'll have to order one" Several days later the job was done and the bike was still running poorly. When I got home I did the clocks diagnostic check and highlighted the air intake temp sensor. Why was this not picked up by West London Yamaha? I also checked the oil level and had to remove 500 mls of oil to take it to the top notch on the dipstick!
Sadly, my experience of the Putney Service Centre is also grim, and I don't trust the Shepherd's Bush shop either. So anyone know of a decent, reliable and honest Yamaha dealer in Central or West London, or Middlesex?

suggest you go to E1 Motorcycles, ask for Denis, who is the man who owns the place. Telephone 020778 09346. I have used them for the passed three years and they are very good. If they make an error, they put it right without any grumbles. Best Wayfarer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users