Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:47 pm

:good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3402 poppykle

poppykle

really likes Carpe

• 83 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:12 am

400km ride, 160km on the Putty Road the rest in Sydney traffic.  The price you pay for living in the city.

#3403 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:47 am

My old Symtec heated grips failed after about 10 years, so no complaints about their longevity, but I've always been disappointed with their performance, particularly on the left grip, where they just seemed to be heating the steel bars, not the grips. The last couple of winters I've been using Keis heated inner gloves instead of the grips on really cold mornings. But they're a faff to put on and mean wearing bulky oversized gloves for a comfortable fit.

So, I bit the bullet and bought some Oxford "Premium Adventure" heated grips. The "Adventure" bit, purely refers to the length of the grip and it's the "Adventure" one you need to fit on the TDM. I picked them up from Sportsbikeshop, who seemed to have the best price in the UK, under £50. Fitting was pretty simple, removing the baked on Symtec elements was the worst bit. the Dremel came out in the end  :) . I was able to reuse the old feed to the Symtec system from my Eastern Beaver fused junction box to make life easier. First impressions are that this is a decent bit of kit, quality has markedly improved since Oxford's earlier versions. It was certainly simple enough to fit, although the wiring was too long for the TDM, but I've managed to wrap it up out of the way. I may shorten it properly at some point, it uses standard crimp on spade connectors in custom connection blocks, so should be easy to do. I haven't actually tried the grips on a ride yet, it was really cold here this morning, so I opted for the Keis inner gloves. Should be a tad warmer on my commute home tonight, so I'll try them out then. On this morning's commute i did notice the grips are a tad wider and harder than the OEM ones. Hopefully something I'll get used to quickly.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#3404 spike240

spike240

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:07 am

Good to read your account of fitting the Oxford grips. Not sure you are aware, but they are designed to have a direct feed from battery.

I can't remember the reason, but if you wire them via ign switch, the grips can malfunction.

#3405 thelodger

thelodger

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:13 am

I like the Oxford heated grips on my Fazer. Yes, they are wired direct to the battery but they have an intelligent controller which switches them off after about 10 mins if you forget to switch them off yourself.so they will not flatten the battery.

#3406 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:09 pm

Good to read your account of fitting the Oxford grips. Not sure you are aware, but they are designed to have a direct feed from battery.

I can't remember the reason, but if you wire them via ign switch, the grips can malfunction.

Interesting, I've used them a few times now and haven't come across any issues, but good to know in case I get issues in the future. I can see the battery monitoring functionality in action if leave the ignition and grips on, but with the engine not running. After a few minutes the controller switches everything off to save the battery. 

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#3407 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:35 pm

Rode Muddy's 9'er up to Scotland to it's new garage.

It rides really well, To the point that I'm thinking of selling mine and tidying this one up a bit.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3408 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:49 pm

Gave it a wash
Then it wouldn't Start - Eventually fired up. & ran great
Then after a couple of hours running about stop / start etc
It's decided it's Time to misfire
Now had same problem last year ( pretty sure it was about the same time )
(Just actually checked not far off 24 /12 /17 ) and changed plugs and 1 Coil / Lead
Fixed the problem nicely
So might as well do the same again
Thought about changing plug caps this time as well
Can someone confirm that the CX 500 cap is the correct size ?

Edited by Andy25, 26 November 2018 - 03:59 pm.

#3409 Homer62

Homer62

discovering Carpe

• 15 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:35 pm

Changed the worn out foot peg rubber for nice shiny polymer ones, someone used a lot of thread lock stuff, actually broke the head off one of the screws, 5 minute job turned out to be 35 minutes lol

#3410 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:00 am

I rode my bike! Woo hoo.

Well, eventually. Poor thing has only had a few short runs over the winter and it was not happy when I started it up. Very slow idle, terrible pick up on the throttle, missing and farting and rattling. Not a happy camper.

Despite a good warm up on the drive and some judicious throttle to solve the problem, revs were not happening. I suspected fuel as being the easiest thing to check and emptied the ride on into the tank, the ride on fuel container..

Still had the huff. With fingers crossed I tried to get out on the road to see if it would clear out, I could barely get up the drive.

At the back of my mind I was wondering if this would be my first "problem" after all these years. Any hoo, after 5kms of nursing, the bike started to hint at some gusto and came right. I wish I could write sound effects.

Popped home to close the front door and carried on our wee jaunt. As an aside, the girlfriends DT 230 fired up immediately and ran like a Swiss watch. She has not touched it for 6 months.. Bring back 2t's!

A lovely afternoon was had and the new T31 rear is virtually scrubbed in, felt very secure and agile, even with the release spooge still in place.

A wee piccie of a stop off point.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#3411 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:20 pm

Attached File  P1020238.JPG   263.64KB   2 downloads

Replaced this with a brand spanking new one. Failure is indicated by the white arrow :lol:

Edited by Favs, 03 December 2018 - 01:20 pm.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3412 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:36 pm

attachicon.gif P1020238.JPG

Replaced this with a brand spanking new one. Failure is indicated by the white arrow :lol:

Should have tried this https://www.amazon.c...ords=crack cure

:rotflmmfao: :hide:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#3413 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:18 pm

Ordered up an M5 helicoil kit....

Finished fitting Chinese vacuum fuel pump, lowered float heights to cure overflow of fuel....bugger !, fitted extra inline paper element fuel filter, fitted fork gaiters and fitted handlebar raisers.

First thing I noticed after replacing the fuel pump was an irritating fuel leak from both overflow stubs on the carbs. Diligently checked fuel height with a fuel level gauge and found it to be outwith spec.

Removed the float bowls and noticed a very light coating of pale dust ??  Too fine to be caught by the mesh filter in the carbs.  Hence the paper element one....

What a pain in the arse setting the fuel height is !!  Took several attempts and eventually settled on a slightly lower value than recommended, but both exactly the same. By this time, one of the threaded holes in the carb. body for the float bowl retaining screw was a bit the worse for wear.  Hence the helicoil kit !   Temporary cure was to use a slightly longer M5 screw but the hole will be helicoiled as soon as the kit arrives.

Did a 20km road test and the bike is performing well.....pulling cleanly and smoothly from tickover right up to 6000rpm.  I'm too scared to rev in any further.

The handlebars are now 25mm higher and 25mm closer, and it makes a significant difference to me.  Going through bends now, I'm using more Body English rather than pushing and pulling on the 'bars.  Definitely makes the bike feel more fluid.  And at low speed, tickover in 1st gear, It's much more comfortable and easier for me to hold a straight line.

All that remains now is to do a permanent repair to the threaded hole in the carb. then as soon as I get a decent dry day go out for a long run to check if there's any change in the fuel consumption....over the last year I'm averaging 4.8 litres per 100km.

#3414 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:21 pm

Good work !  :pimp:

Bjørge

#3415 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:22 pm

Forgot the photo.....

#3416 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:19 pm

Forgot the photo.....

attachicon.gif TDM with Fork Gaiters.jpg

Is that a left hand drive model Curly ?

#3417 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:08 pm

It sure is !  I can use my right hand to make lewd, offensive and obscene gestures to other road users..... if I ever had the mind to do so...

What makes you ask ?

#3418 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:24 am

I wasn't asking....I was pulling your leg...you being based in France

#3419 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:38 am

I wasn't asking....I was pulling your leg...you being based in France

Yes, I got it !

Actually there is a difference from the UK model in that certain other European countries have different headlamp bulb specifications. For example UK spec has two 12v/35w/35w bulbs whilst in France, Germany etc  we have 12v/55w main beam and 12v/60w/55w  dipped beam..... why?   I've no idea !

#3420 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:18 pm

Started stripping down Muddy's old bike  -  https://flic.kr/p/2c1rHjg

Mechanically and electrically, I'm going to do the valve shims, rebuild the front brakes,, check all bearings and grease up, and clean all electrical contacts because there's some  blue'green (verdigris) growing in a few of them

Cosmetically I'm going to prep the front side panels as if for paint, but try my hand at hydro dipping, with a suitably unusual design :) For the broken plastic panel lugs I might get more into 3D printing during the cold weather, to remake some brackets, but failing that  I'll just use ally sheet :)  I'ld never get a good paint finish at home, but the tank and mudguard are in good condition, in that nice Galaxy Blue colour....so this will be on the side panels and the front nfairing https://www.ebay.co....8.c100290.m3507

I'll probably galvanize a few fittings, and powder coat the rear pedal hangars

Edited by fixitsan, 06 December 2018 - 07:01 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users