#1 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:17 am

MK2 rebuilt couple of years ago been coughing and spluttering in the 2500 to 4000 rev area so thinking needles or crappy carbs stripped them about 4 times always clean,used sea foam direct and in tank ,no effect search internet which only came up as emulsion tubes until one day a road tester (cant find link now) was talking old bikes and said of TDMs checking for poor running usual tube/needle OR if its had a Dynojet kit fitted? I seached internet and Carpe but nothing came up,I have a second MK2 which sounds and ran the same so I thought it was normal ish,second MK2 needed fairing and tank from the other to finsh off but as it ran the same didnt help with the Dynojet thing.Then one day sitting staring at the two bikes suddenly rememberd I also used No 1s carbs,so I swapped the carbs for a stock set and guess what feckin thing runs nice now.Now when I search on here theres loads of stuff on Dyno kits so must have fecked me search up.

So just adding my findings if they help anyone.

Dynojet kit did pull better in the 60 to 80 bracket opps sorry ment to say 50 to 70 but apart from that cant feel any differencs realy.

#2 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:56 am

I think dynojet kits are often over-rated, on my old fazer 1000 the dynojet kit was shunned and Ivans jet kit was the one everyone wanted, I fitted one and it sorted all the glitchy bits and would pull smoothly in top gear from 25mph through to "just a tad over 70 officer", obviously pickup was slow in the lower end due to lack of revs but still very smooth with just opening the throttle fully, I think they lost a couple of hp at the top but the rest more than made up for it.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#3 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 27 February 2020 - 02:34 pm

That's a timely post for me, MickC. Ive just bought a Stage 1 (standard airbox, standard or slip-on exhast) Dynojet Kit for my MK1 and planning to install it in the summer during a planned big service. The bike runs perfectly and I thought, and confirmed by Dynojet themselves, that the kit is to fine tune the engine, not solve problems, hence not recommended if there is a problem with the engine.  Now do I risk messing up my nice running engine to see if the kit actually does as it says on the tin or leave it alone. Considering in theory, that I can always return the standard stuff back and have my smooth running engine back if the kit gives me problems. I dont know abot the MK2 kits, but on the 3vd, the kit is only needles and jets, no modifications to the slides and springs like some of the other kits. Such a dilemma,   :huh:    I shall report if I do install them.

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:56 pm

Good job Mick, bet you're feeling well chuffed. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:15 pm

Studders, I am pleased its running nice now at first I thought it was normal as in MK2s dont run as smoth as a MK1 cause of the firing order but I started to think this is bollocks and annoying all the spluttering It cant be right.

So now when the MK1 needs to go down a gear it makes a sort of a drone type noise and runs smooth and the MK2 sounds ish a bit like a single,probably a crap way of saying it but it does sound nice with a 2 into 1 on it like its wanting to go but at the end of the day I have two ish MK2s and a MK1 plus other stuff I think the 2s need to go and Ill keep the MK1 Its an old bike type thing with me.

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:48 pm

Mk1 looks better too. :D

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users