405 replies to this topic

#121 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:12 am

I might get some heat on it. the ally will heat up way quicker that the steel. Will just have to make sure I stay away from the bearings. 

being lazy here, what size rawl bolt is used? 

What a stupid design. I might just chop through it on the inside and and let it float like every other linkage I have seen. 

#122 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:26 am

Another link with some size info of the rawl bolt, but i think you need to buy a particular type as not all of the same size fit.

One more link, he used a counter sunk screw for his, last link honest :D

Might not actually be as bad as some others coxy with a bit of luck.

Edited by dablik, 13 December 2018 - 09:28 am.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#123 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:54 pm

Sorted. Applied some heat, hit it with a hammer, it came straight out! So fast I didn't get to take any pictures.

I've also knocked out those spacers in the frame for the front engine mounts. They were corroding away and although they would still work I didn't like the look of them. I'll turn some more on my lathe

#124 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:03 am

Sorted. Applied some heat, hit it with a hammer, it came straight out! So fast I didn't get to take any pictures.

I've also knocked out those spacers in the frame for the front engine mounts. They were corroding away and although they would still work I didn't like the look of them. I'll turn some more on my lathe

There is something critical with those engine mounts with regard to setting/torquing up to avoid vibration from memory

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#125 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:06 am

i'll find out soon enough!

#126 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:50 pm

I have just checked my valve clearances.

I am going to contact TTS who installed the cams and did all the engine work because either they are specifying different clearances or this is going to get expensive!

this is what I measured:

E1 007, E2 007, E3 007, E4 008

I1 008, I2 008, I3 008, I4 007, I5 008, I6 007

way way WAY less that the factory specification of  0.15  to 0.20 mm on the inlet and 0.23 to 0.28 mm on the exhaust 

so either this is by design or I need to replace every shim on the head

edit, oh my god what a windalicka. I bought myself a new set of feeler gauges and was looking at the imperial measurement...that's embarrassing  :good:

so. according to all the information from Kent I can glean from the web they are within spec.

Edited by Coxylaad, 17 December 2018 - 10:08 pm.

#127 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,792 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:02 am

By god, when are you gonna scrap those imperial units......? :-)
Bjørge

#128 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,744 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:31 am

^  +1..................will we still be allowed the metric system post Brxxxxxit??

Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#129 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:52 am

:lol: glad you spotted that...

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#130 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:34 am

:lol:  We all get the odd brain fart on here. :D

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#131 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:55 am

By god, when are you gonna scrap those imperial units......? :-)

Probably when 1 minute of latitude stops being worth 1 nautical mile, and 1 degree stops being worth 60nm :)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#132 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,792 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:40 pm

Probably when 1 minute of latitude stops being worth 1 nautical mile, and 1 degree stops being worth 60nm :)

Now, THAT is a poor argument! No reason why one should stick to sloppy units like nautical mile, even if it is somewhat related to earth size. Why not kms at sea? Nevertheless, let sea be sea without stopping you from entering the enlightened world.....(have no emojis at hand)
Bjørge

#133 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:15 pm

Now, THAT is a poor argument! No reason why one should stick to sloppy units like nautical mile, even if it is somewhat related to earth size. Why not kms at sea? Nevertheless, let sea be sea without stopping you from entering the enlightened world.....(have no emojis at hand)

Sverdrup and Nansen seemed to manage just fine on the old units. I suggest that you man up. :)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#134 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:42 pm

I heard that was the cause of one of the Space Shuttle crashes.  One supplying firm using (American) Imperial measurements and another using  Metric......?

#135 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,253 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 18 December 2018 - 03:27 pm

The problem with people that advocate the usage of the Metric system is the can't count past ten so can't cope with statements like "I will take a dozen please" and other things in this vein  :hide: 

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#136 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 05:35 pm

The problem with people that advocate the usage of the Metric system is the can't count past ten so can't cope with statements like "I will take a dozen please" and other things in this vein  :hide:

English = dozen.  Spanish = docena.  French = douzaine.  German = dutzend.  Norwegian = dusin. Chinese = 打.

English = inch.  Spanish = pulgada.  French = pouce.  German = zoll.  Norwegian = tommers.  Chinese = 英寸

"In 1783 the British inventor James Watt, who was having difficulties in communicating with German scientists, called for the creation of a global decimal measurement system, proposing a system which used the density of water to link length and mass..." Wiki.

So, not only are British measures universal but the metric system is British too. :oldgit:

The Greeks did introduce the Helene though, which is the unit of feminine beauty required to launch 1 ship. :yeyeye:

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#137 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,792 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 06:33 pm

Sverdrup and Nansen seemed to manage just fine on the old units. I suggest that you man up. :)

Well, I'm kinda lucky as I very rarely have to cope with other than metric units. It's mainly when communicating with you guys and most often MPG vs l/100km fuel consumption. Then I frequently meet the US Gallon vs IMP Gallon problem, and because the yankees regularily don't remember that other definitions of gallon exist (you're outnumbered, of course, but I suspect that's not the entire reason) this is a real PITA.

Norwegian also use a few odd measures, like "Favn" (2 meters high, 2 meters wide and length of 0.6 meters = 2.4m3) of wood (fuel) and....and.....and....no, I don't think there are any more  :P

...but of course, we have the ÆØÅ letters.... :lol:

Bjørge

#138 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 06:42 pm

Do you have thee most important measurement on the planet Bjorge, the pint ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#139 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,792 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 06:54 pm

Nope, we're doing "halvliter", that's half a liter - 1.05668821 pints !

meaning we get 5.66% more drunk than you  :good: 

Bjørge

#140 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:19 pm

Nope, we're doing "halvliter", that's half a liter - 1.05668821 pints !

meaning we get 5.66% more drunk than you  :good: 

No you don't. Half a litre is 0.879877 of a pint in the UK.

You only get more drunk than Americans. :munching_out:

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users