#21 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:56 pm

If it is the tubes and jets worn, you might notice your economy shot to pieces ! I was averaging 30mpg, now it's averaging 41-42mpg.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#22 92 3VD

92 3VD

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:01 pm

Thanks for all the info. I'll see if I can order these new parts, install them, and do a sync.
I'll keep you guys updated. We'll see if Tyler wants to ship that set of carbs to the US first. blush.gif
Randy

update. HOLY SHIT!!! Over $150 just for two tubes and two needles? I'm in the wrong business. cuckoo.gif

Edited by 92 3VD, 23 April 2008 - 04:16 pm.

It's better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for life.

#23 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:14 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Wed 23rd Apr 2008, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it is the tubes and jets worn, you might notice your economy shot to pieces ! I was averaging 30mpg, now it's averaging 41-42mpg.

Depends a bit on riding style but I'd suggest you might still be running a bit rich. I'm no speed freak but did 100 miles of country twisties giving it a reasonable amount of throttle at the weekend and averaged 52.5 mpg. mpg plummets in town though.

Did my tubes on 52k miles and the needles were fine. Not heard of anyone finding thier needles were worn, except Catsbum who's needles had a very bizzare profile that made us think they might be aftermarket ones.

Edited by ChrisG, 23 April 2008 - 04:14 pm.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#24 k2col

k2col

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:01 am

Randy how many miles does yours have on her?

#25 92 3VD

92 3VD

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:04 pm

It's got 29k.
Everything else is in really nice shape, except for the rough idling. It could use a new set of front rotors, but that's about it. Corbin seat, Euro light above headlight, aftermarket screen. Otherwise bone stock until I install the Supertrapps.

#26 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:48 am

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Wed 23rd Apr 2008, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depends a bit on riding style but I'd suggest you might still be running a bit rich. I'm no speed freak but did 100 miles of country twisties giving it a reasonable amount of throttle at the weekend and averaged 52.5 mpg. mpg plummets in town though.

Did my tubes on 52k miles and the needles were fine. Not heard of anyone finding thier needles were worn, except Catsbum who's needles had a very bizzare profile that made us think they might be aftermarket ones.

Hi Chris,You could be right about mine still running rich, I've now fitted a Laser Pro-Stock which may again make a slight difference. When I did my carbs I ended up using 3 sets !! and I can state with total honesty that the needles can/do wear. Also, if you look at the white slider that holds the tube you'll see that they also wear out, causing wear on the tubes.
I've got a pair of them bizzare profile needles, they look like a mini cam shaft. Well, they're stepped and made of steel. I'm gonna get back to my carbs soon and 'experiment'. I might see if a high perf. air filter would help. At the moment, I'm just enjoying having the bike running smooth !

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#27 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:58 am

Randy, you could try a carb sync first as it's cheaper. There's also a vacuum pipe running from No1 intake to the fuel pump. Have a look and see if there's any fuel in it. Worth a look as it don't cost anything !

If you definitely need tubes, I've got a pair of new ones for your bike. 40 dollars + p&p which is about half price i think !

Good luck !

#28 92 3VD

92 3VD

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:30 pm

Thanks Studley. I'll keep in touch. Let's see how far my nephew wants to go with this.
Now I need a front master cyl rebuild too.

#29 simmo

simmo

sticking around

• 37 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:44 pm

Replaced mine on Thursday also both sets of rubbers and float bowl seals. Holy sh1t, it's like riding a different bike! Riding around Exeter is fun again, no coughing and spluttering, brilliant!

Much thanks to m3psm for the original posting. The TDM experience just keeps getting better and better. yahoo.gif
1994 TDM850 (reg 1996), 1984 RZV500R www.rzv.eclipse.co.uk, 1987 CR250R

#30 92 3VD

92 3VD

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:55 pm

I'm doing mine tonight. My nephew finally agreed he's keeping the bike so we're moving forward on it. I'll post up the results.
I just finished rebuilding the front master cylinder, and now onto the carbs. After the carbs, I'll install the Supertrapps he's had lying around here forever too. As long as wifey doesn't give me something else to do around here tonight, I should get it done.

I got a little side tracked on this project, having just finished rebuilding the entire motor on my WR250F dirtbike. She's now a 265 with race cams. JE piston kit and Hotcams stage 1. I'm glad my nephew dragged his feet on the TDM. It gave me a chance to get the dirtbike rebuild done.

#31 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:17 pm

QUOTE(92 3VD @ Thu 26th Jun 2008, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Group: Members
Member No.: 4,293
TDM model: 1992

Another one (relatively) close to me! We keep this up and we can have an RTT here in the 'states'. laugh.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#32 92 3VD

92 3VD

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:05 am

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Thu 26th Jun 2008, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another one (relatively) close to me! We keep this up and we can have an RTT here in the 'states'. laugh.gif

In 2 days I'll be even closer, although I'll be on my FJR1300. Staying at the in-laws in Norvelt (near Latrobe/Greensburg) all next week.
wanna ride?
I'm done with the install. Took all of 45 mins, although I went a little more and cleaned all the jets. The pilots and those tiny little jets way up in that housing were clogged. AND.....there's crapola somewhere in the line. I never removed the carbs, I just worked around them.
This was alot more simple than I thought. Looks like the rt side tube was worn. Left side didn't look too bad, but then again I didn't have the microscope out. rolleyes.gif
Is there a fuel filter I missed that's easily accessible? I know, I know... RTFM. tongue.gif

#33 92 3VD

92 3VD

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:24 am

Update...
Found the fuel filter in the fuel rail. Clean. I thought it would be clogged, considering what was in the carbs. Tank is also clean.
I did a carb sync and she's now purring like a kitten. God bless the Morgan Carbtune!
I can't wait to road test it. I couldn't continue any further, with it being 11:45 pm here. I like my neighbors. tongue.gif So I'll get out there in the morning and get it out for a test.
Thanks for all the info. You guys rock!

#34 92 3VD

92 3VD

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 04:30 pm

Update 7/12/08. Runs perfect!!!! yahoo.gif good.gif

I installed the tubes and needles, synced the carbs, and have been riding it the last few days to make sure everything was OK. I just got it inspected this morning and all is well.
I forgot how much fun that bike is to ride, having ben on my FJR for these last few years.
The only issue I see now is the trans cluncking more than I remember. Any ideas for that? It has a new chain and new hub dampers. Less than 100 miles on each. I know it needs a clutch soon, since the adjustment is already out to the limit. Could this be affecting the trans "clunk" mostly shifting from 2nd-3rd gear? It's fairly loud shifting throught the other gears, but 2nd-3rd gear shift seems to be the worst.
Thanks again people. You're the best! good.gif

#35 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:43 pm

Have you left enough free play in chain?

#36 92 3VD

92 3VD

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:20 am

QUOTE(danceswithmopeds @ Sat 12th Jul 2008, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you left enough free play in chain?

Almost too much. I have to go back and check the exact freeplay. I think it's a little loose.

#37 gothmog

gothmog

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:10 am

Hello everyone!
I'm gonna get me one of these machines,a post '99 TDM 4TX (fuel gauge),and i keep hearing that you cannot change the emulsion tubes at models after '99.Is it true?If it is,and they wear down,how in the blazes of Hell and damnation itself am i gonna replace them?Change carburettors?Bloody Hell,seems expensive...can anyone fill me in on how it's made or how things are? It ain't too lae to get a mk 2 prior to 99.

Thanks,please help!
Worry about things that may come in your path.
You-ll live longer.

Diamond black '05 900A -AKA "Starscream"

#38 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:20 am

apparently the ones that cant be removed never need replacing.....
dunno.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#39 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:04 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Tue 15th Jul 2008, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
apparently the ones that cant be removed never need replacing.....
dunno.gif

seems the only logical explanation for an engineering decision like that.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.

#40 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:03 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Wed 23rd Apr 2008, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
try a simple carb balance/synchronisation. Its AMAZING what a difference it can make. Mine was still lumpy after replacing jets & tubes but a carb sync sorted it out ! disbig.gif

If you look here in KB you will find a 'make it yourself' carb syncer.

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Wed 23rd Apr 2008, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

30 is bad even for stop and go city riding. When my 92 was new it got 44-45 mpg city... 55 or better highway.

QUOTE(92 3VD @ Thu 26th Jun 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In 2 days I'll be even closer, although I'll be on my FJR1300. Staying at the in-laws in Norvelt (near Latrobe/Greensburg) all next week.
wanna ride?

Darn... what a time to have been away... I just caught your post. (Would have been nice to have 2 TDM's on the same road.)

QUOTE(92 3VD @ Sat 12th Jul 2008, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Update 7/12/08. Runs perfect!!!! yahoo.gif good.gif

I installed the tubes and needles, synced the carbs, and have been riding it the last few days to make sure everything was OK. I just got it inspected this morning and all is well.
I forgot how much fun that bike is to ride, having ben on my FJR for these last few years.
The only issue I see now is the trans cluncking more than I remember. Any ideas for that? It has a new chain and new hub dampers. Less than 100 miles on each. I know it needs a clutch soon, since the adjustment is already out to the limit. Could this be affecting the trans "clunk" mostly shifting from 2nd-3rd gear? It's fairly loud shifting throught the other gears, but 2nd-3rd gear shift seems to be the worst.
Thanks again people. You're the best! good.gif

Just takes practice... about 10 years of it.

QUOTE(92 3VD @ Sun 13th Jul 2008, 03:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Almost too much. I have to go back and check the exact freeplay. I think it's a little loose.

50-60mm it should look loose, the chain tightens as the suspension compresses.
Posted Image

£

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users