Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Chain & Sprocket Options: What Works Well, What Doesn't, And Why..

C&S sprocket chain link front rear oiler ratio final drive

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:08 pm

There's plenty of threads throughout the forum that address "what is best for my bike?", or "what is best for my budget?", or "what lasts longest?", or "what ratio is best?", and a myriad of other similar questions.

So I thought I might drag the whole Chain and Sprocket topic together a bit.
If I have screwed anything up, typos, etc, please feel free to comment. I need some practice with technical writing.

First up, the bits of interest:

• Chain
  • Front Sprocket
  • Rear Sprocket
  • Lubricating system
  • Supplementary lubrication

CHAIN:
Critical specifications are:

• Pitch is the distance between two adjacent pins, measure in eighths of an inch.
  • Width is the roller width, or the nominal distance between the side plates, also measured in eighths of an inch.
  • Load Rating
  • Lubrication Seal Type

Decoding a chain number goes like this:
525ABC-X
5 is Pitch, 5/8"
25 is Width, 2.5/8" or 5/16"
ABC requires a check with the manufacture to find load rating and purpose
X usually indicates and O-ring that has a "X" shaped cross-section
or,
R4 SRS 530
R4 refers to Road Chain
SRS refers to the type of patented O-ring
5 is Pitch, 5/8"
30 is Width, 3.0/8" or 3/8"

If you shop around for chains you'll find there is no strict standard other than the 3 digits that indicate the dimensions, for everything else you really need to read the box or check with the supplier.

Regardless of the type of O-ring, be it XYZ SRS or any other name, the purpose is to keep the lubricant inside the chain. This lubricant is not replaceable; it's put there in the manufacturing process and stays there as long as the seal is good. Any lubricating you do is to minimise wear between the roller and the sprocket, and by keeping the chain generally wet with lubricant you can help preserve the O-rings and prevent corrosion.

I wont bother mentioning standard chains, without O-rings, other than to say they have no place on a modern machine. They're only suitable for classic/vintage class motorcycles when the owner is a purist. Only fit one to a TDM if it's your only option to get home from Timbuktu. You will not save money using this old tech' on a TDM. If you're trying to save money you're better off converting to a wider 530 C&S set.

Conversion C&S Sets:

Why do it?

525 chains are not a popular items whereas 530 chains are. Pricing is almost always dictated by supply and demand, so you can get much better deals on 530 chains... but you must use sprockets that match! Thankfully today's manufacturing techniques mean that most suppliers can make any combination you could want, http://www.chaingang...prockets.com.au for instance. (If someone can supply me a link to a good Euro based sprocket supplier, I will post it here.)

The obvious advantage of the 530 chain, over the 525, is that it has a larger surface area to spread the load which results in less wear.

The perceived disadvantage of the 530 chain is that it is heavier and will require more energy to rotate and has a greater internal friction loss... and it does... but in the scheme of things the difference is minute and you won't notice a difference at the petrol pump. What you will notice is a smoother and quieter final drive; that little bit of extra mass helps dampen the actions of chain catenary (droop) and harmonics in the final drive assembly.

Conversely some boy-racer types want to fit lighter C&S sets in a bid to go faster, so replace a 525 with a 520. Usually the only great increase is the rate of replacements and the number of pit stops caused by premature wear and/or breakage.

Drive Chain Slack:

(TBA... was too slack to do this before dinner.)

Supplementary lubrication:
With O-ring chains the most critical lubrication is already taken care of but it is important to lubricate the chain to prevent corrosion and to maintain the O-rings. It's also easier to clean an oily chain than a dry chain.
Whether you paint on oil with a brush, wipe it on with a rag, spray it from a can, or fit a mechanical oiler to the bike, it does not particularly matter as long as you keep the chain damp with lubricant.
Oil is better than grease or wax because it will creep in between the plates, rollers, and coat the sprockets.
As a rule of thumb: if you touch the chain and your thumb comes away clean, you need to oil it.

Sprockets:
They need to fit in five critical dimensions:

• Shaft spline, or mating plate. Fairly obvious; it must fasten on tight.
  • Offset. Front sprocket must be in the same plane as the rear sprocket. This can be a problem when using sprockets from other models of bike.
  • Pitch, must match the chain.
  • Width, must match the chain.
  • Number of teeth, diameter. This will determine the final drive ratio.

Final Drive ratio:
The OEM decided on a one size-fits-all ratio that may or may not fit what you want to do with he bike.
Given the high power to weight ratios that most modern sport bikes have, it's probably more common that anyone wanting to change the final drive ratio is going to lower it. i.e. make the bike go slower but have more usable power. If you were trying for a land speed record you might want to raise the final drive ratio.

What fits which bike and what are the available alternatives?
Attached File  Gearing.jpg   102.9KB   97 downloads

What works best and can I just use any sprocket combination if they match my chain and fit the bike?
Yes and no...

Yes:
Any two sprockets that fit will give you drive at the rear wheel, but it's not just that simple.
First you need to work out what engine RPM you will need/want at a given road speed. http://www.gearingcommander.com is a great tool for this, many bikes including the TDM's are listed, and there is the great JBX's TDM specific website http://www.jbx9.alla....php?page=RATIO
No:
Some ratios will force chain lengths that may not fit within the adjustment range of the rear axle.
Some ratios and chain lengths will create a pattern of wear that can promote premature wear and tight/loose sections of chain.http://www.gearingcommander.com can show you whether the combination you have is optimum for wear, or not so good.

For example:
The stock TDM900 has a 118 link chain with a 16 tooth front and 42 tooth rear sprockets, it gives a wear pattern like this:
Attached File  118-42-16.png   40.74KB   111 downloads

A common mod for the TDM900 is a 15 tooth front, with the stock 42 rear, sprocket and still using the 118 link chain. It wears in this pattern:
Attached File  118-42-15.png   46.13KB   96 downloads

Another similar ratio is 15/43 with 118 links:
Attached File  118-43-15.png   53.72KB   87 downloads
This is the optimum wear pattern.

This pattern shows that every tooth visits every link, by using GearingCommander we can see it take 645 revolutions of the chain to complete the cycle.

16/45 with 120 links:
Attached File  120-45-16.png   17.29KB   82 downloads
This is the worst wear pattern.

With a wear pattern like this you can see that the same teeth are going over the same limited sections of chain, this is how tight/loose spots develop. It only takes 6 revolutions to complete this cycle.

16/46 with 120 links:
Attached File  120-46-16.png   33.46KB   67 downloads

Images created using the on-line Spirograph at http://www.artbylogi...spirograph.htm#

The chain length is used as the stator,  or R=(number of links), then a r=1 d=1 rotor will indicate each link on the chain.

To show the sprocket transits use r=d=(number of teeth).

If every link is visited by every tooth, you've got an ideal ratio... and a pretty cool graphic... if you get something that vaguely resembles a pentagram, then it will be a devil of a thing to maintain and adjust, and come to a costly premature end.

Edited by AzzA, 04 June 2013 - 09:08 am.

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:15 pm

Bloody eck Azza, you bored today  :lol:  great info though, very nice of you to write it up.. :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 alkam49

alkam49

sticking around

• 34 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:19 pm

Well doner Azza...  good to see the hole kit in one article rather than rooting thru numerous to get the lot.

cheers / AM

#4 AzzA

AzzA

• 1,548 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:41 am

Bloody eck Azza, you bored today  :lol:  great info though, very nice of you to write it up.. :good:

Injured hammer and tack... most comfy chair in the house has a puta in front of it... captive but productive. ;)

#5 Buzzo

Buzzo

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:48 am

Great info Azza, thanks..

#6 pnyb

pnyb

arrived on last train

• 5 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:36 pm

Thanks for the info.

I use 15t at front and stock 42t on the rear, much better ride than stock!

New kit on my “moped” will be 530 15t / 43t or maybe 530 17t / 47t (120 links). 17t / 47t also have optimum wear pattern. Bigger front sprocket reduces chain wear and the sliders on the swing live longer with a bigger front sprocket.

Or??

#7 danresh

danresh

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:24 pm

Great initiative Azza.Very clear and certainly helpful.

Wouldn't mind a similar write-up regarding tires but we really don't want to over-burdain you....

Take care

Danresh
Danresh - the HolyLand TDM knight

TDM900 (2009) - Lowered suspension, Lowered side-stand with wider tip, O2 sensor removed, Givi top and side-cases, H-7+90% headlights, Additional blinking backlights, Stehbel horn, Secdem screen, BMW1150 Bar-risers, Remote controled cellular alarm sys, Throttle lock cruise control, CrumpBuster, GIpro-x type Gear Indicator, Mirrors raised up and out. Rear sprocket-46 teeth. Speedo Healer. K&N AirFilter. Barkbusters Storm Hand-Guards. Dobeck Performance TFI-1025 injection control. Skene Design P3 back LED lights. G-2 Throttle Tamer. BikeVis Bullet LED DRLs on handguards. LED fairing light. 2 Cree U5 LED fog-lights mounted on engine guard. MRA Xcreen on windshield. PR3 tyres.

#8 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:33 pm

This is going to be very useful. Thanks muchly.

"Drive Chain Slack"  :rotflmmfao:

#9 aytcat1

aytcat1

has been here 4ever

• 1,093 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:24 pm

It seems that a 2000 TDM 4TX with a 16/43 combo shows as front clear or white  and rear green ,however if a 17 front is put on 17/43 both show up as green,so i take it the 17/43 combo is best,Well could save on petrol on motorways etc but on the other hand to accelerate as quick will need to open throttle wider.Better on long hauls Cornwall eg,but hey will use less oil due to less rpm :lol:

#10 mart13

mart13

really likes Carpe

• 98 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:38 pm

just spent a good hour on the spirograph :P

#11 AzzA

AzzA

• 1,548 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:40 am

just spent a good hour on the spirograph :P

I figured it was a good way to visually explain how ratios can impact on chain wear... but it a pretty groovy distraction to just play around with. There's a couple of others around and there's a downloadable exe on SourceForge if you wan to go all out and create animations and waste a good few more hours. Great stuff for the cold weather months.

#12 AzzA

AzzA

• 1,548 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:48 am

Thanks for the info.

I use 15t at front and stock 42t on the rear, much better ride than stock!

New kit on my “moped” will be 530 15t / 43t or maybe 530 17t / 47t (120 links). 17t / 47t also have optimum wear pattern. Bigger front sprocket reduces chain wear and the sliders on the swing live longer with a bigger front sprocket.

Or??

You're dead right about the benefit of the bigger front sprocket. I'd have gone that path if I knew for sure it was going to fit without any clearance issues. But I couldn't find any anecdotal evidence or factual evidence that a 17 tooth would be happy with the 530 chain on the 900... having put the 15t 530 on, I reckon the 17t would be fine too; the actual change in OD over the 16t is minimal.

#13 pnyb

pnyb

arrived on last train

• 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:34 am

@ Azza: Thanks a lot for your response. :)  When wintertime comes I will try the 17t / 47t with a 530 chain - and share my experience here.

BR Peter

#14 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:32 pm

So I've been able to put this to good use.

I've noticed that the rear axle on my 98 4TX is set a fair ways back. Over 9,000 miles later I've had to adjust the chain 0 times.

Was wanting to shorten the wheelbase for a bit of fun and noticed that the web page was pointing me having a 16/43 arrangement.

Lo and behold, it was right on the money.

So 17 tooth ordered.

Make 1st gear a bit taller, wheelbase shorter and give the bike some legs in the higher gears.

Wondered why it would top out just over 100 and why fuel consumption was limited to below 50 and more often 40-45mpg.

Thanks

#15 roys

roys

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:13 am

wow. much obliged, great information

tnx

Thank you,
Roy
1987 K100 (2v)
2006 TDM 900

post-19792-0-23739400-1358674634_thumb.j

#16 jlmtdm

jlmtdm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:41 pm

Great post thanks again, on the subject of chains whats safe to clean o ring chains .

brake cleaner is so good if its oj for brake seals etc is it likely to muck up the O ring ?

#17 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:24 pm

Injured hammer and tack... most comfy chair in the house has a puta in front of it... captive but productive. ;)

Puta, Spanish for ?

#18 AzzA

AzzA

• 1,548 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:43 am

Great post thanks again, on the subject of chains whats safe to clean o ring chains .

brake cleaner is so good if its oj for brake seals etc is it likely to muck up the O ring ?

Watch this series of vid's; he covers the topic in one of them. You'll probably do a lot of nodding along the way and maybe learn a trick of two too. He's UK based so it deals with the grime and gunk you good folk suffer.

Puta, Spanish for ?

Com....puta. Tis what I done did the typing on ;)

But this old puta is definitely a whore when it's not working as it should:

http://www.urbandict...e.php?term=puta

:D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: C&S, sprocket, chain, link, front, rear, oiler, ratio, final drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users