23 replies to this topic

#1 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:50 pm

I had'nt really noticed how much mileage has crept up on me this year. Looked up my bike diary and saw that it was time to change oil and filter. Dumped first lot of oil through drain on left side, then drain on right side.
All starting to come back to me now, just how awkward it is to find screws on filter cover. Clean all surfaces and redo all with new filter. Then the real fun job of filling up with fresh oil. 3L in and bike gives big burp like a bottle fed baby. Great big dollop of oil all down front and side of engine. Oh yeah. now I remember. This happened last time as well.
Took me as long to clean up afterwards as to do the whole job. Same as last time.

Definitely look for some kind of nozzle thingy to do the job. No oil used since last change. Old oil fairly ok, think I'll filter it and use it in my Loobman.

#2 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,844 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:17 pm

I just cut the bottom out of a big plastic 2 ltrs drinks-bottle: Makes a perfect funnel good.gif

It also helps to store the fresh oil in a warm place or even in front of the radiator, plenty of hours before changing it: It makes it noticeably thinner, so easier to pour and less chance for trapping air that can "spit" the oil back out.

Edited by robelst, 11 November 2007 - 10:25 pm.

That was not a banana, Dougal

#3 Sparky

Sparky

just half a litre to go

• 809 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:52 pm

I add a short length of garden hose to the funnel then insert the end into the filler neck. No spillage. Works well for filling car gearboxes, too. good.gif

Edited by Sparky, 11 November 2007 - 11:53 pm.

Ex-TDM owner. Now riding a Sprint ST 1050

#4 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:49 pm

It was getting very dark by the time I got everything cleaned up. All day I had the feeling that there was something not quite right. So checked everything I used yesterday when I got home. Bad people in Castrol have reduced size of oil container from 5L to 4L. Same price though.

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:39 pm

castrol GPS or car based oil ??

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:01 pm

Castrol GTX, using it for many years.

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:19 pm

QUOTE(danceswithmopeds @ Mon 12th Nov 2007, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Castrol GTX, using it for many years.

liquid engineering huh..... used to love that ad where d'oil flowed out slowly into the open ended wrench.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:46 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Mon 12th Nov 2007, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...d'oil flowed out slowly into the open ended wrench.

Happened in my garage all the time - cos I always knocked the bottle over rotflmmfao.gif

Got to attempt a oil change on mine soon; coming up for 6 months.

Why do manufacturers have to sell oil in 4 litre bottles though??? It always used to be 5L didn't it?

Who on earth made me get a ZX9R???? I'll get 'em....

#9 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:48 pm

That's why I mentioned it. New rip-off, same shape bottle. Did not notice until way too late or it would have been brought back.

#10 treadman

treadman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:51 pm

QUOTE(danceswithmopeds @ Mon 12th Nov 2007, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's why I mentioned it. New rip-off, same shape bottle. Did not notice until way too late or it would have been brought back.

Try Halfords own motorcycle oil,that comes in 5ltr,s

#11 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:59 pm

Halfords are way too expensive over here. I'll go back to motorfactors where I got the oil, have a little word with the guy I normally deal. He was'nt there on saturday. I'm dealing with this guy for several years, so he'll give me some deal on something "shop soiled" or "damaged packaging". Never had a problem with them before and always get a real tradeprice.

#12 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• 1,844 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:08 pm

QUOTE(danceswithmopeds @ Mon 12th Nov 2007, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bad people in Castrol have reduced size of oil container from 5L to 4L.

Are you sure it wasn't your spillage? laugh.gif

If I remember correctly the Castrol bike-oil bottles were 4 litres already (sitting next to the Halfords 5 litres ones and still a quid more expensive).
Don't know about their car oil.

#13 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:36 pm

Just as a postscript, I've been in several shops over last few weeks looking for 5L container of Castrol. Have'nt been able to find them anywhere. Everywhere seems to only stock the NEW and IMPROVED 4 litre container. Strange how there's 20% less at the same price.
No more Castrol for me. Greedy sods.

#14 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:45 pm

QUOTE(danceswithmopeds @ Fri 23rd Nov 2007, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just as a postscript, I've been in several shops over last few weeks looking for 5L container of Castrol. Have'nt been able to find them anywhere. Everywhere seems to only stock the NEW and IMPROVED 4 litre container. Strange how there's 20% less at the same price.
No more Castrol for me. Greedy sods.

Fuel price keeps going up too - must be something to do with supply wink.gif

Stu

#15 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:40 pm

Finally got round to doing my oil change. Bike seems to run much quieter and even gearchange seems smoother. Old oil was very black; but no bits of metal came out into the wife's sieve.

Bought the 5 litres of semi-synth of oil from Halfords. £21 and 3 quid for a Champion filter.

Had some fun and games taking the filter cover off. Then when I put it back on, I saw the new filter still on the bench istupid.gif

Followed the instructions from the Yam manual. They were rather specific about the quantities, but in the end I did a Wicky and bunged 4 litres in.

Measured out the old oil into another empty bottle I had laying about, and in the 7 months I have had the bike it had burnt 150ml in 6000 miles.

SO.. thats a new shock, new coils, and new oil/filters this month. The bike has had more spent on it than I spent on Christmas presents....

Who on earth made me get a ZX9R???? I'll get 'em....

#16 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:06 pm

Well I have manage dto do the oppsite!!!

I have actually spent bugger all apart from about £15 on Go Go juice rolleyes.gif

Cos I don't ride in ice or when it's below 5c (to many aching broken bones) anymore and I start work at 5am...

Glad to find someone else who uses halfords oil.

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#17 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• 1,844 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:31 pm

QUOTE(Jolly Giant @ Mon 24th Dec 2007, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glad to find someone else who uses halfords oil.

I've used it for years (mineral and semi) in all my Japanese bikes, it seems as good as anything else and more than 25% cheaper than Castrol's offerings good.gif

#18 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:42 am

QUOTE(robelst @ Mon 24th Dec 2007, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've used it for years (mineral and semi) in all my Japanese bikes, it seems as good as anything else and more than 25% cheaper than Castrol's offerings good.gif

another satisfied halfrauds user here fully synth stuff

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#19 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:51 am

QUOTE(Sparky @ Sun 11th Nov 2007, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I add a short length of garden hose to the funnel then insert the end into the filler neck.

Be careful to clean out first - found a large spider lurking in me funnel the other day! Any Aussies around??

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#20 David H

David H

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:56 pm

QUOTE(tdmbrightonuk @ Mon 24th Dec 2007, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finally got round to doing my oil change.

Bought the 5 litres of semi-synth of oil from Halfords. £21 and 3 quid for a Champion filter.

Same here, did mine today. I've not had to top the oil up in 18mths, 4500miles. This was Castrol semi synth.
I won't be buying castrol again, the car takes 4.5 litres. unsure.gif
Good job I got the Halfrauds 5ltr as I lost half a litre on the floor. I was pouring in my measured amount with a funnel, when I noticed an increasingly large puddle of oil on the ground. The oil tank had overflowed. I ran it 'till warm and then topped it up. I'll check it again after I've used it properly. rolleyes.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users