31 replies to this topic

#1 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:20 pm

8km into a 10km journey a few hours ago my 2000 4tx suddenly lost about 80% of power, lights dimmed, turn signals were dim and flashed faster, needles on speedo and rev counter were up/down and all over the place giving false readings, was like a scene from herbie goes bananas  :hide:

Let her sit for a bit and she started up again and been ok since, just did another 10km and she ran ok so about to troubleshoot this, anyone had similar happen ?

Edited by JMC, 07 November 2019 - 07:21 pm.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#2 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:41 pm

Yes, main fuse was loose in the solinoid and was arcing

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#3 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:17 pm

Or loose battery terminal.

2002 TDM 900 Red/Yellow Cocktail (it's yellow)., biggified some

#4 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:44 am

Thanks guys, both seem like one of the obvious ones it will be tomorrow before I will get a chance to check properly
I'll report back hopefully once I've sorted it

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#5 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:14 am

If it.s not the above

Remove & separate the solenoid. Ensure the brass track and fuse holder are intact -  mine had broken making intermittent contact, on my previous 4tx, the symptoms were the same. I made my own copper sheet replacement

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#6 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:29 am

If it.s not the above

Remove & separate the solenoid. Ensure the brass track and fuse holder are intact -  mine had broken making intermittent contact, on my previous 4tx, the symptoms were the same. I made my own copper sheet replacement

After I finished the first journey I switched off the ignition, then on again and it was dead so my first thought was the battery went bang so I got the jump leads and started it off the car to try rule out other possible issues.

I made positive contact at the junction under the seat and the bike has run fine since, but I couldn't find anything loose right there.

The electrical gremlins are in my house this week as I had a relay go in the wifes car on monday that took some time to find  :unsure2:

Hunter S. Thompson.

#7 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,754 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:32 pm

could be ignition switch too

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#8 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:41 pm

remove the starter relay from the gluaisrothar and carefully split it open, clean and inspect the contacts. If in doubt replace it.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#9 Timbo1866

Timbo1866

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:21 pm

8km into a 10km journey a few hours ago my 2000 4tx suddenly lost about 80% of power, lights dimmed, turn signals were dim and flashed faster, needles on speedo and rev counter were up/down and all over the place giving false readings, was like a scene from herbie goes bananas  :hide:
Let her sit for a bit and she started up again and been ok since, just did another 10km and she ran ok so about to troubleshoot this, anyone had similar happen ?

This happened to me coming back from Scotland this year managed to get home
On close inspection the starter relay had split into 2 pieces replaced it with a main dealer part all good now

#10 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:08 am

I took out the relay over the weekend and cleaned up the contacts with the dremel and brushed on some electrical grease, checked all the other connections and all seem fine if it happens again I'll replace it, she's going fine since so thanks to all that replied  :good:

Edited by JMC, 11 November 2019 - 10:08 am.

Hunter S. Thompson.

#11 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:32 am

Replacement solenoid can be obtained within 2 weeks for little cost.......

https://www.banggood...d.html?from=nav

#12 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 November 2019 - 02:59 pm

And this was while driving, not at attempted startup ?

Bjørge

#13 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 03:31 pm

And this was while driving, not at attempted startup ?

Yep while driving, been all good since so will see how it goes I won't be on any longer trips other than my 10km commute to work until the xmas holidays :)

Replacement solenoid can be obtained within 2 weeks for little cost.......

https://www.banggood...d.html?from=nav

I think I might just order one of them anyway thanks for the link  :good:

Hunter S. Thompson.

#14 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:33 pm

Yep while driving, been all good since so will see how it goes I won't be on any longer trips other than my 10km commute to work until the xmas holidays :)

The reason I asked is I figured the solenoid won't make trouble while driving, just upon start attempts. Ignition lock or connections like battery poles are more likely, I guess....

Bjørge

#15 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:53 pm

Oh yes it will (Panto season is upon us). :)

#16 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:57 pm

it could also be a sign the ecu/ecm is packing up mine did that  few times - i posted on here about it a while (couple of years) ago and JBX suggested if speedo needles do the craziness then that is what it might be

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#17 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:57 am

it could also be a sign the ecu/ecm is packing up mine did that  few times - i posted on here about it a while (couple of years) ago and JBX suggested if speedo needles do the craziness then that is what it might be

It's been fine since I cleaned up the solenoid but thanks for that at least I will have a list of places to look if it happens again  :good:

Hunter S. Thompson.

#18 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:21 am

Just a last one. I a while ago. Everything would be fine then suddenly electrical mayhem. They all ok for a while, repeat mayhem. Turned out to be a loose connection on the battery. I couldn't see it but as soon as I nipped it up the problem stopped. I wondered if the lead bold had backed off/me not done up fully, some muck or something got in there and started the problem. Just thinking that when you put the jump leads on you may have remade the connection.

Anyhoo as long as all is well, that's good.

#19 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:13 pm

Another place to get poor connections are the multiway plugs under the tank, behind the headstock near the thermostat housing. The can attract a bit of corossion

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#20 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:37 pm

Another place to get poor connections are the multiway plugs under the tank, behind the headstock near the thermostat housing. The can attract a bit of corossion

I'm a bit like Santa Claus now I'm making a list and will check it twice.....at christmas time when I've 2 weeks off   :P

I don't mind winter riding in fact I like it a lot but wifey is hounding me to get a car for the ice/snow/heavy rain etc so if I do I'll strip the bike down and have a right good look at everything.

Hunter S. Thompson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users