#1 Nosaj

Nosaj

Carpe junky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:35 pm

Do you fink its safe to have music in your ears whilst your riding , do you fink its just akin to
having the radio on in your tin box ?

#2 Dave in Thailand

Dave in Thailand

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:27 pm

I do it sometimes wink.gif but it´s difficult from a technical point of view. Hard to get the earphones to stay put while you get the lid on, difficult to stop it sounding tinny, difficult to hear at all at high speed. Last time I did it, I had the KAIPOD on random and a sodding Deftones track played with a 35min silence in the middle. sad.gif

#3 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:28 pm

QUOTE(Nosaj @ Fri 28th Apr 2006, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you fink its safe to have music in your ears whilst your riding , do you fink its just akin to
having the radio on in your tin box ?

I rarely go out riding without music banana.gif
It actually helps me to keep riding concentrated. On longer rides and boring commutes my mind tends to wander easily and the music helps me keep focused...
Whether it's good or bad for you depends om yourself. It used to be the same in my college days, I actually studied better with music in the background, my girlfriend required absolute silence. yu.gif

Don't put it on too loud though, as you might suffer hearing damage rotflmmfao.gif and off course make sure you still hear enough of the traffic around you and of your engine noise.

QUOTE(Brother Number One @ Fri 28th Apr 2006, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hard to get the earphones to stay put while you get the lid on, difficult to stop it sounding tinny, difficult to hear at all at high speed.

I use the head set you can buy from Starcom for their Starcom1 and Starcom Advance intercom systems. I just plug it in straight into my iRiver usually. No problems at high speeds, the speakers are excellent quality and my Shoei helmet with whisper kit is nice and silent yahoo.gif
If I'm not too lazy I get the saddle off and plug the player into the intercom which automatically makes the volume go up as the detected wind noise increases, but it's not even strictly necessary.

Edited by duibhce Kaelann, 28 April 2006 - 03:36 pm.

Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#4 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:58 pm

QUOTE(Brother Number One @ Fri 28th Apr 2006, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had the KAIPOD on random and a sodding Deftones track played with a 35min silence in the middle. sad.gif

i bet it made you jump when it kicked back in....lol

QUOTE(duibhce Kaelann @ Fri 28th Apr 2006, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't put it on too loud though, as you might suffer hearing damage rotflmmfao.gif and off course make sure you still hear enough of the traffic around you and of your engine noise.

if you are riding at a constant high speed i think you need something to block the wind noise anyway.
ear plugs or ear phones, both will block some noise.

i often have my phones headset on while riding as my phone is also my mp3 player.
it has the bonus of stopping the music when a call comes letting me talk to whoever it is and then the music continues after the call has ended.
if i set it up just right i can use my tongue to press the headset button to end the call or activate the voice dialing.
just have to remember not to drool and to wipe clean when I arrive.

wicky/thomas : over to you......

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#5 Dave in Thailand

Dave in Thailand

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 04:02 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Fri 28th Apr 2006, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if i set it up just right i can use my tongue to press the headset button to end the call or activate the voice dialing.

I don´t know what to say. rotflmmfao.gif

#6 alunl

alunl

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:25 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Fri 28th Apr 2006, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wicky/thomas : over to you......

Wicky can text while riding huh.gif ... so music shouldnt be a problem! wink.gif
The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
~ Bertrand Russell 1950

#7 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:31 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Fri 28th Apr 2006, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you are riding at a constant high speed i think you need something to block the wind noise anyway.
ear plugs or ear phones, both will block some noise.

with my airoh helmet I used to wear alpine earplugs nearly all the time, with my new shoei only on long stretches of highway. I just have to remember to adapt the volume of the music huh.gif
I don't
like ear phones as I can never get them to sit comfortable...

The cell phone goes into my intercom. It's hard to reach under the sadle with my tongue while riding though wink.gif wink.gif
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

#8 Dave in Thailand

Dave in Thailand

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:23 am

QUOTE(Toneski @ Fri 28th Apr 2006, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Be sure to let us know if you ever Ebay that gear...

#9 AL-58

AL-58

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:34 pm

QUOTE(Brother Number One @ Sat 29th Apr 2006, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do it sometimes wink.gif but it´s difficult from a technical point of view. Hard to get the earphones to stay put while you get the lid on, difficult to stop it sounding tinny, difficult to hear at all at high speed. Last time I did it, I had the KAIPOD on random and a sodding Deftones track played with a 35min silence in the middle. sad.gif

'ear you go, moulded earplugs

http://www.earmold.c...category/21/33/

moulded to fit your ear, they don't fall out, sound is very clear. I hate standard earbuds

I've got these ones: http://www.earmold.c...category/23/35/

Al

Edited by AL-58, 01 May 2006 - 01:35 pm.

tdm850-spike.jpgtdm900-kosciuszko-05.jpg

#10 Dave in Thailand

Dave in Thailand

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 03:43 pm

QUOTE(AL-58 @ Mon 1st May 2006, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
'ear you go, moulded earplugs

http://www.earmold.c...category/21/33/

moulded to fit your ear, they don't fall out, sound is very clear. I hate standard earbuds

I've got these ones: http://www.earmold.c...category/23/35/

Al

Cool.

Don't the police have them made by having soft wax poured in the ears????? huh.gif

#11 AL-58

AL-58

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:17 am

QUOTE(Brother Number One @ Tue 2nd May 2006, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool.

Don't the police have them made by having soft wax poured in the ears????? huh.gif

These are silicon, she put a little foam plug in to stop from filling my ear up, dabbed the ear with some stuff as a release agent, then injected the silicon in. After two minutes she pulled them out and finished them off. A perfect fit every time and they don't cause any discomfort the way standard earlplugs do after wearing them a few hours.

Al

#12 andyj

andyj

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:33 am

QUOTE(AL-58 @ Tue 2nd May 2006, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
These are silicon, she put a little foam plug in to stop from filling my ear up, dabbed the ear with some stuff as a release agent, then injected the silicon in. After two minutes she pulled them out and finished them off. A perfect fit every time and they don't cause any discomfort the way standard earlplugs do after wearing them a few hours.

Al

They'll not be such a perfect fit if you get a zit or boil in your ear.....in fact they'll be agony.
Another boring night & I'm feeling pissed....

#13 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:28 am

QUOTE(andyj @ Tue 2nd May 2006, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They'll not be such a perfect fit if you get a zit or boil in your ear.....in fact they'll be agony.

and remember that the human ear is one of the few parts of the human body that constantly keeps growing/changing. A perfect fit now does not necessarily mean a comfortable fit in 3 years...
Don't get me wrong, custom fit earplugs are excellent, just keep this in mind when you think about bying a set.

on the other hand, most companies here in Belgium that provide them have excellent customer care. If you lose or damage an earplug they replace them at no extra cost (provided they don't need to make a new fit or mold).
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

#14 Chris TDM

Chris TDM

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:24 pm

i have a few points of view on this, my uncle was killed after being hit by a train on a crossing on his bike, he had head phones in and did not hear the warning bell. But i used to have my MD player on when i rode my old XJ, which was ok but i get in my music and would catch my self away with the music and not looking at the road, (same resion why i dont have my radio on in he car very loud.

But tbh i think as long as you take extra care to look around you and make sure no-one is trying to run you over, its fine
Ridgeway mcc

GSF400
ER500
TDM850
CBR1100xx

But only one working at a time!!

#15 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:17 pm

I know it's stupid, but I feel really uncomfortable when I use ear-plugs or headphones on the bike, I get really paranoid that the engine is blowing up, or someone is beeping a horn at me..............I need the comfort of wind noise and engine noise, I know I'll be deaf soon, but so be it.

#16 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:30 pm

I've got a Vixen Intercom which has a audio in on it. The intercom uses little tubes that go inside your ears and act as ear plugs. I built myself a seperate volume control with a big rotary knob that I can clip on the front of my jacket so when I've got the iPod on I can drop the volume right down if I need to. I like to listen to music on long motorway trips as it really helps my concentration as it stops me getting bored. I generally turn the volume right down when I'm filtering or in town and crank it up when I'm on an open road.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#17 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:13 pm

i dont really get all that musiconthemove thing
people go walk in the park ... with the mp3 player
people ride a bicycle ... with the mp3 player
people go sailing
mountain climbing
with music in their ears...

im glad to escape all the sounds and noises when going for a walk
i enjoy hearing nothing "mand made"

riding on the bike gives you time to contemplate other things
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

#18 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 05:43 pm

QUOTE(Guinness @ Fri 12th May 2006, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im glad to escape all the sounds and noises when going for a walk
i enjoy hearing nothing "mand made"

riding on the bike gives you time to contemplate other things

I agree with you to a point, I but I find on long motorway journeys I get bored easily and the music really helps my concentration.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#19 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:21 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Sun 14th May 2006, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with you to a point, I but I find on long motorway journeys I get bored easily and the music really helps my concentration.
got a point there... gets very boring real fast on motorways...

in a car i fall a sleep far too easy when riding on motorways, even with music ...
nearly trashed my car once, woke up with my left wheels in the grass, tried to correct, went into a spin and ended brushing the guard(amco?) on the right...
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

#20 AL-58

AL-58

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:40 pm

QUOTE(Guinness @ Wed 17th May 2006, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
got a point there... gets very boring real fast on motorways...

in a car i fall a sleep far too easy when riding on motorways, even with music ...
nearly trashed my car once, woke up with my left wheels in the grass, tried to correct, went into a spin and ended brushing the guard(amco?) on the right...

It's worse falling asleep on the bike, nearly broke a toe once that way. Bike on throttle lock, me nodding off behind the bars, the bike drifted across the lane, foot slipped off the peg and hit a road reflector at about 120kmh, it HURT but it woke me up. Happens too often to me(nodding off)

Al

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users