Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:57 am

Ouch

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#2 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:24 am

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Mon 22nd May 2006, 04:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't see any indicators... did you? That tape would be a nice bit of evidence in a lawsuit.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#3 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:49 am

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Mon 22nd May 2006, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't see any indicators... did you? That tape would be a nice bit of evidence in a lawsuit.

No indicators.

But on the other hand, overtaking a car where there are streets coming from the left isn't very smart either...
Not only can the car unexpectedly (??) turn left but also, a dimwit coming from the street can just look to his/her left, see there's nothing coming and turn right straight into the overtaking motorcycle.

we all know that most automobilists are blind as a bat and that if we want to be safe on our bikes it's up to us to make sure we are.

And I'm not sure of this, but doesn't the double line mean that overtaking isn't allowed??
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#4 AL-58

AL-58

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:12 pm

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Mon 22nd May 2006, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about the overtaking on double lines?

tdm850-spike.jpgtdm900-kosciuszko-05.jpg

#5 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• 857 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:16 pm

The first rider gets it almost right. He gets into a good position, in plentry of time, to see past the car and view the road ahead. He waits for the car to pass three junctions or driveways, then makes his pass. Ok, he didn't do a lifesaver, and I guess he shouldn't be overtaking on double yellow lines, but it wasn't a bad attempt.

The second rider is in a poor position to see past the car. When he moves into the overtaking position he is already accelerating hard before he's had a good view ahead. Even so, he can still see the junction coming up and should have held back for a better moment to make the pass.

The car driver brakes just after the first bike has passed. The second rider should have seen that, and wondered why is he braking? The only reason I can see from the video is that the car is going to turn left. At least he should have held back until he was certain what the car was going to do. Better still he should have picked a safer place to pass.

It seems to me that the second rider is playing "follow the leader" without thinking about his own riding.

#6 bondy

bondy

850 going for 900

• 852 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:02 pm

Sod the double lines what about driving on the wrong side of the road, they must all be mad tongue.gif

#7 darcym

darcym

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:08 pm

The double lines are there for a purpose ... stupid squids. There was a sign posted indicating a T intersection ahead. Probably a blind corner as well. Whatever happened to the second rider he deserved it, sad to say. The motorist wasn't at fault this time.
1992 TDM 850, RED
Corbin seat, Kerker pipes, Givi top case.
DMPHOTOSD.com

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:24 pm

Did the car use any indicators? Didnt see em. Also having just been buzzed by one bike, you might expect (or not) for the driver to pay closer attention to anything else that might halt their manhoover.

Obviously he shouldn't have been overtaking there.

My mate "the Bampton Rat" did exactly the same thing on his TZR. A Ferrari Convertible did an unannounced right hand turn to do a 'U' turn in a junction as Rat boy tried to overtake him by the junction. Rat managed to obliterate every panel down the RHS of Ferrari....about £20k of damage. It was settled out of court and Rat got £1500 for a few broken toes!

Boop
dapleb
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#9 Minty Hippo

Minty Hippo

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:15 pm

I think if you look carefully (the comments on the website confirm this) the road actually turned to the left - so no turn signal required from driver. The rider was in effect planning to take a right turn off the main road - but did it across the bonnet of a 4X4. What a silly billy.

#10 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:12 am

QUOTE(Minty Hippo @ Mon 22nd May 2006, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think if you look carefully (the comments on the website confirm this) the road actually turned to the left - so no turn signal required from driver. The rider was in effect planning to take a right turn off the main road - but did it across the bonnet of a 4X4. What a silly billy.

Seems I missed some details... never even expected double yellow lines... Were they crazy passing on double yellows?

I have passed on double yellows, but only after being 900% sure it was safe. The driver could have suspected he might be passed on the double lines tho since it had just happened.

Totally missed the brake lights, video just doesn't make you peel your eyes the way real life does... do it?
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.

#11 darcym

darcym

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:33 am

Trouble with video or any photo for that matter is you get a much narrower view. Our heads can turn and even then our eyes move around in our head -- we can see up down left right everything but behind us almost simultaneously. Which is why when riding two wheels amongst the cages, it behooves one to keep those eyes open and moving at all times. Tunnel vision, riding with blinders, etc ... a noobee mistake.

And if the road does turn to the left -- I thought it was an intersection but on second view it looks like it's a left arrow, indicating that the main road turns left there -- then the auto driver wouldn't even be required to signal the turn. It should be expected that's the way he'd go. I can't tell where the other biker goes, but I assume straight is some side or secondary road.

d'OH!!!!

Edited by darcym, 23 May 2006 - 05:36 am.

1992 TDM 850, RED
Corbin seat, Kerker pipes, Givi top case.
DMPHOTOSD.com

#12 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:43 pm

I was having a look around on that site and came across this one:
http://www.metacafe....id_not_go_well/

now is it me or does it look like the guys hand gets blown off or is it just his glove!!!!!!

TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#13 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:17 pm

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Tue 23rd May 2006, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

now is it me or does it look like the guys hand gets blown off or is it just his glove!!!!!!

TAM

Think it was just his hand Tam............. blink.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#14 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:21 pm

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Tue 23rd May 2006, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

TAM

finally got it in 'slow' the third time..... his glove.

other eyes may dissagree.
Posted Image

£

#15 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:26 am

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Wed 24th May 2006, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
finally got it in 'slow' the third time..... his glove.

other eyes may dissagree.

I'm gonna agree with you Thomas, only because having your hand blown off freaks me out puke.gif

#16 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:19 am

QUOTE(Emmett @ Wed 24th May 2006, 03:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm gonna agree with you Thomas, only because having your hand blown off freaks me out puke.gif

The glove went bouncing away pretty fast, seems a glove full of hand would be more a thud-splat.
Posted Image

£

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users