fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:44 pm

Attached File  20170617_095750.jpg   154.73KB   0 downloads

The ECU arrived back from Greece on Tuesday, exactly 2 weeks after posting it off. Samios flashed it and popped it in the post on the same day he received it, so all the delay was shipping time either way.

I thought I would write about it from a couple of perspectives, the performance aspects and the general riding improvements. I can appreciate that not everyone wants much more performance from what is already a pretty fast machine in the right conditions.

Maybe the best thing for me to do is to use Samios Motorsport's own claims about their product and talk about them individually.

From their web page (with dyno graphs)...here > http://www.ecu-flash...yamaha/tdm-900/

(They're also on Facebook, which is how I chose to make contact . https://www.facebook...10114722332469/ )

Their claims are....

New fuel tables

New ignition timing tables

New rev limit at 9.300 rpm

Disable AIS valve or set it in closed position

Disable O2 function

Disable low gear power limiters

Disable Deceleration fuel cut for perfect throttle response

New fan working range opens 98 and close at 94 degrees celsius

New fuel tables - it goes without saying :)

New ignition tables - something which a Power Commander or new cam cannot change, is the all important ignition timing

New rev limit - I've yet to explore, but I don't think there is much power up there and I prefer low down torque more, given the choice.

Disable AIS valve - Mine already was disabled ;)

Disable O2 function - what this means is that while riding at part open throttle at steady speeds the ECU isn't trying to lean out the mixture in order to make fuel savings. Anywhere else in the performance envelope it is ignored anyway

Disable low gear power limiters... yes yes and yes again. Definite improvement in 2nd and 3rd, I will need to ask Samios if 4th is also limited because 4th gear feels better too. I am taking a bit of a risk because my gearbox has 97000 miles on it but the bike has been well cared for. I have just discovered that my clutch is slipping in 2nd and 3rd gear now, I think I can adjust it off with the cable, but that in itself should say how much more fun there is .... However, pushing out of tight corners in 2nd or 3rd on a cold wet road is now an entirely different proposition ! Extreme care with the newly smoothed out throttle is the order of the day !

Disable deceleration fuel cut - most fuel injection systems cut fuel during deceleration, to be more economical and an offshoot is that it provides more engine braking...in the case of the 900 that's a lot of engine braking. I have to say that the difference is fabulous, but dangerous at first - I have become accustomed to using all the engine braking of the 900 but a couple of times on my test ride I forgot that it wasn't there like before......but there was no harm done :)    In addition, my wrists don't feel like they're getting a bashing as my heavy upper half flies forwards and needs supporting during engine braking. The on-off throttle response is smoooooooth now, and perky just when you need it. Coming into a corner and rolling off the throttle no longer results in the front dipping down heavily.

New fan working range - I trundled along in some town traffic in the 25 degree celsius air and the fan cam on when the needle was about 5mm-10mm below the red range. Considering that the engine will be making more heat this can only be a good thing, just in case. Over the couple of hours I was out on the bike, 'testing extensively' the needle never went over half way

Overall, I am comparing this remap to my bike which already had 4 degrees of advance and a resistor on the IAT to increase fueling a tad. Using only the inner ear dyno , I would say the Samios remap makes more top end power, and has more torque in lower revs than the 4 degree of advance gave (which itself was a good little hop up in it's own right) But it's the way it delivers it all which is really good, it almost feels like I should write to Yamaha and ask them why they didn't make them like this from the factory.....not that that would change anything ;)

Fuel economy will certainly suffer but the remap isn't wild, it's all still very sensible to the point that if you just want to bimble about sipping fuel then you still can, but flick the wrist and it's all a bit of fun when the road conditions allow for it.

Value for money ? It costs 250 euro plus 30 euro for secured return shipping. I was thinking about how I decide if something is value for money..... I think of it like this - if I was offered 250 Euro refund plus my old map back, I would say no ? 

I would have to really badly need that money in order for me to want to go back to the old ECU with a more basic feel. This just feels more refined and slick, and pokier when you need it.

I initially ran for 80 miles with the IAT resistor still attached and have since removed that to go back to a standard setup and noticed no reduction in performance, which tells me that Samios is using probably the maximum amount of fueling ( without being wasteful ). The air temps today were high for this area, and performance improves as the air temps go down so I am looking forwards to that :)

How long my gearbox lasts will be the testament to how well I can adapt to this :)

If you wish to contact Samios the first thing he will want from you is a photo of the label on your ECU, the shiny metallic label with the ECU part number on it (5PS-xxxxx-xx). Whether or not you have ABS or a factory immobiliser could be factors which affect what Samios can do for you, but I can't say for sure. The ECU I sent was from a 2002 bike, the part number ended with suffix -01. The one I had on the bike from the factory is a suffix -02 and probably cannot be reprogrammed. I don't know if the suffix is important, it may be the case that the Denso part number is more relevant....the only way to find out for sure is to send them a photo of that label

Edited by fixitsan, 17 June 2017 - 07:35 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:43 pm

Nice and informative Chris thanks, money well spent by the sound of it :good: wonder of we'll have a plethora of 9r riders modding the ecu now so they can keep up with the older bikes :D

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:52 pm

Nice and informative Chris thanks, money well spent by the sound of it :good: wonder of we'll have a plethora of 9r riders modding the ecu now so they can keep up with the older bikes :D

haha... thats how I thought I might describe it actually....like a 4tx in terms of response and smoothness but with the larger 900 gonads propelling you along ;)

I wouldn't mind a second opinion from someone else if anyone is up for it ? Im driving down the east coast tomorrow and back on Friday. I could bring the ECU with me....

Edited by fixitsan, 17 June 2017 - 07:26 pm.

#4 davytdm

davytdm

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:58 pm

great write up 😎

#5 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:29 pm

haha... thats how I thought I might describe it actually....like a 4tx in terms of response and smoothness but with the larger 900 gonads propelling you along ;)

I wouldn't mind a second opinion from someone else if anyone is up for it ? Im driving down the east coast tomorrow and back on Friday. I could bring the ECU with me....

Is it a matter of just plugging it in and going for a run?. If so, sounds like fun.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:22 pm

great write up

Thanks ! I just wanted to put it all down as it's fresh in the mind. :good:

I've just been for another run, now that the air is down to 16 degrees, and the improvement  is noticeable ...'twist and go'

#7 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:30 pm

Is it a matter of just plugging it in and going for a run?. If so, sounds like fun.

It will be for anyone else, I had to spend an hour putting mine back to standard first.

You remove the front left upper side fairing, two 10mm head bolts holding the old ECU in place. Just swap the plug over and bolt it in place. Simple as that. I suspect the problem might be finding a cheap enough ECU which can be programmed. I have seen one on ebay with a part number ending with '-01' going for £160 !!!  ...or best offer >  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-TDM900-TDM-900-2002-CDI-ECU-Unit-/252914738727?hash=item3ae2e4a627:g:a4AAAOSw32lYyXa-   

Before buying anything I recommend to anyone that they get a clear photo of the part number label and send it to Samios first.

I somehow got mine for £60 after making several bidding offers on an ebay item which originally had a 'buy it now' price of £95 :)

Muddy, if you're able to meet near the A14 tomorrow afternoon/evening  I could help you swap it over then go for a run....

Edited by fixitsan, 17 June 2017 - 10:00 pm.

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:47 pm

Edited by fixitsan, 17 June 2017 - 09:55 pm.

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:54 am

loiking the sound of this mod.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:25 pm

loiking the sound of this mod.

There's not a lot wrong with it that I can see. The difference over a standard bike would be quite noticeable.

#11 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:20 pm

Makes you wonder how much is down to deceleration fuel cut with the snatchy throttle. I know all my 900s have felt very off/on when trying to balance the throttle. Also can't help wondering how much better this option wound be done on a rolling road. Sounds like a very good option never the less. Be watching for more info as the miles clock up.  :good: 
By the way, I'm not convinced my disconnecting the signal wire on the oxygen sensor has made any difference at all. 

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:31 pm

Makes you wonder how much is down to deceleration fuel cut with the snatchy throttle. I know all my 900s have felt very off/on when trying to balance the throttle. Also can't help wondering how much better this option wound be done on a rolling road. Sounds like a very good option never the less. Be watching for more info as the miles clock up.  :good: 
By the way, I'm not convinced my disconnecting the signal wire on the oxygen sensor has made any difference at all.

I didn't actually bring it with me to Norfolk today . If you fancy trying it I'm staying on the A11 in Norwich next week....I could help you fit it then swap it back later when you've tried it. Give me a shout if you want to drop in and try it

#13 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:43 pm

It will be for anyone else, I had to spend an hour putting mine back to standard first.

You remove the front left upper side fairing, two 10mm head bolts holding the old ECU in place. Just swap the plug over and bolt it in place. Simple as that. I suspect the problem might be finding a cheap enough ECU which can be programmed. I have seen one on ebay with a part number ending with '-01' going for £160 !!!  ...or best offer >  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-TDM900-TDM-900-2002-CDI-ECU-Unit-/252914738727?hash=item3ae2e4a627:g:a4AAAOSw32lYyXa-   

Before buying anything I recommend to anyone that they get a clear photo of the part number label and send it to Samios first.

I somehow got mine for £60 after making several bidding offers on an ebay item which originally had a 'buy it now' price of £95 :)

Muddy, if you're able to meet near the A14 tomorrow afternoon/evening  I could help you swap it over then go for a run....

That'd be nice but I'm in Portugal trying not to get burnt.

Edited by muddy, 20 June 2017 - 07:32 am.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:48 pm

That'd be nice but I'm in Portugal

trying not to burnt.

nice. drink lots !

#15 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:54 am

I didn't actually bring it with me to Norfolk today . If you fancy trying it I'm staying on the A11 in Norwich next week....I could help you fit it then swap it back later when you've tried it. Give me a shout if you want to drop in and try it

That's a great offer thanks. Let me know when you're down here.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#16 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:55 am

I'm sensing a Carpe mini Norwich meet next week for a coffee and chat.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#17 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:56 pm

:good:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#18 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:51 pm

I'll be staying in hotel on the A11 near the city centre...all you need to bring are tools to remove the upper left fairing. I think the Samios ECU could temporarily be cable tied safely to the original ECU for a test ride. Probably best after 7pm

Edited by fixitsan, 20 June 2017 - 10:56 pm.

#19 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:35 am

Cheers for posting this, sounds an interesting re-flash.

Not sure why they upped the rev limit though.  Peak torque on a niner is around 6k revs and then drops off quickly, so changing gear around 6-7k keeps you in the power rather than ragging the engine while torque is falling quick.  As you say, the TDM is more effective in the lower peak torque area anyway.

I'm tempted to try it though, I've currently disabled O2, disabled AIS and have a PC III, but I like the sound of the power limit removal and timing change and being a 2003 the ECU might be programmable as is which save's me buying a second one.

Once my summer riding is over and I have a few weeks spare to send it off I may give this a go.  I'm thinking a PC III with this would still be beneficial though, as this is still a generic flash for a stock bike (I presume) so a PC III to tune for mods would be the icing on the cake.  If the PC isn't needed though, at least can get some cash back to fund this.

I found this flash tool which was made with the support of Samios by the looks of things.  I'm not sure I'd want to play around with it myself though, so worth the cash not to fry the ECU

https://sites.google...bit-ecus/yamaha

Edited by Nog, 21 June 2017 - 08:36 am.

#20 tdmprofessor

tdmprofessor

arrived on last train

• 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:18 am

Once my summer riding is over and I have a few weeks spare to send it off I may give this a go.  I'm thinking a PC III with this would still be beneficial though, as this is still a generic flash for a stock bike (I presume) so a PC III to tune for mods would be the icing on the cake.  If the PC isn't needed though, at least can get some cash back to fund this.

I also have a TDM 900 with PC3 (configured/tested at dyno). I asked this, and it's possible to keep the original ECU fuel tables, while still getting the other improvements. So I think i'll give this a try, seems to be the best choice.

Because I'm a bit worried how they can flash good working 'new fuel tables' without having the bike on a dyno.  :huh: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users