#81 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:03 pm

Just did 103.5 miles for 8.65 L of fuel, in mixed riding, with at least 35 miles on the motorway, and therefore achieved 55mpg

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#82 steves100uk

steves100uk

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 198 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:02 pm

Hi all. What would one of these ecu's cost.

#83 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:35 pm

Hi all. What would one of these ecu's cost.

Hi Steve, this is an ECU remap, so your existing ECU may already be compatible. The Remap was 250 Euros (when the exchange rate was more preferable to today's rate !)

I bought a second ECU on ebay , for, IIRC £60

The only way to know if the ECU you wish to have programmed is suitable is to send a photo of the labels  to Samios (the Denso product label plus any other label) and they'll be able to tell you if they can do it or not. My bike doesn't have ABS or an immobiliser so it was never an issue for me, but if your bike has these features it might be worth asking Samios if those things are affected. I wouldn't have thought so, based on some previous ECU programming I have done, but better to ask first I reckon :)

Samios website - http://www.ecu-flashing.com/

Samios on Facebook (how I contacted them) -  https://www.facebook...10114722332469/

The main benefit, as mentioned before, are the road manners of the bike are quite different, especially just going into a corner or part way through, when you bring in a little bit of throttle to balance the bike. With a standard ECU map it is a very on-off issue , but now it is smoothed out and you can gently apply throttle and find it picks up smoothly.

2nd and 3rd gears also perform better, and I find that I am using the extra torque of those gears just to get me through the lower gears into a higher cruising/economical gear more rapidly. (short shifting a lot because of wet conditions)

It was pretty wet today and there were no problems, in fact because the fuel isn't cut harshly at roundabouts and in tight bends it is easier to ride more smoothly and carefully in slippy conditions.

A power commander may be able to do this too, but it can't do anything about the standard ignition timing map, which is quite retarded, so when you do crack the throttle open the Samios remap responds crisply with a lot of poke in all gears. A PC costs 250-300 bucks, plus you have to pay for a tuning session, unless you're good at it yourself ? There is one on ebay for £125 at the moment http://www.ebay.co.u...5QAAOSwpoxZlfDI

As Ian, Coxylaad pointed out, there is not much more in way of ultimate performance at full throttle with the remap, the limits to that part of the performance envelope are camshafts, valves and injectors (usually), but it's the performance prior to full throttle which has been made a bit choppy by Yamaha, probably to meet various regulations and limits, which is smoothed out and made more predictable, like having a set of really well tuned sports carbs instead of an injection system  (maybe)

It is expensive but I am glad I spent the money, knowing that it will repay me every time I ride. Maybe it was just my bike but the engine braking was  a bit like throwing an anchor out at the back. which is good to have sometimes, but it makes the bike lurch  too much.....although having said that maybe a super smooth well experienced rider would disagree :)

Edited by fixitsan, 10 September 2017 - 09:36 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)