Photo
- - - - -

Need Help Identifying Holes And Hoses. Also, Oil Leak.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 40milesfromthesun

40milesfromthesun

arrived on last train

• 6 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:04 pm

Hey lads!

I need help making sense of some oddities on my MK1 850. The links under each issue, lead to a relevant photo.

All of the photos are from the left side of the bike.

1. Two holes. Are there supposed to be screws in these?

https://www.dropbox....170307.jpg?dl=0

2. A hose that runs beneath the sprocket cover. It's cut and the end is just hanging under the cover. WTF?

Also, there's another hole on this photo just above the hose. Something else missing from here?

https://www.dropbox....170327.jpg?dl=0

3. More open ended hoses. Just chilling there on the engine. One of those has been plugged.

https://www.dropbox....170539.jpg?dl=0

4. There's a screw attached to what I presume to be the starter. What is it for? As you can see the thread looks kind of shiny as if the screw has been loosening lately.

https://www.dropbox....170513.jpg?dl=0

Furthermore, there's some oil leaking every time I ride a reasonable distance. It only leaks when the engine is hot (2-3 drops appear under the bike after each ride and then it stops again). So far I haven't seen any effect on the oil level in the reservoir. The level is about half a cm above FULL on the dipstick. Could it being overfilled cause the leak? It seems to be coming from somewhere in the rear of the engine. I can see that it is covered in sludge below the pivot of the rear swingarm. (you can see the oily-dirty mess in picture 4)

Thanks for any insight into this stuff!

#2 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:09 pm

Not an 850 owner so can't help with your specific issues but as for the oil drip and sludge, you don't have a Scott oiler fitted do you?

Edited by celticbiker, 26 June 2016 - 03:10 pm.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#3 40milesfromthesun

40milesfromthesun

arrived on last train

• 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:18 pm

Not an 850 owner so can't help with your specific issues but as for the oil drip and sludge, you don't have a Scott oiler fitted do you?

Nope, no Scottoiler.

#4 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:06 pm

Well that's as far as I can go with the 850's I'm afraid.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#5 davytdm

davytdm

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:37 pm

I have the same hose on mine so hope someone knows what it's for sludge is all round my sprocket area Scott oiler did this could be there was one on yours or just too much oil on chain I'll have a look tomorrow see if bolts are missing on mine

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:11 pm

1. There should be a bolt in the top hole.

2. Hose is a breather hose for the carb.  The choke mechanism should be fitted where the hole is.

3.  Not 100% sure but one hose looks like the carb overflow and the other one that's bunged could be the vacuum hose from carb inlet.

4. Looks like one of the 2 long bolts that keep the two ends of the starter motor clamped together.

Oil leak could be coming from the drive shaft output seal.  http://www.jbx9.16mb...ex.php?page=OIL

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 40milesfromthesun

40milesfromthesun

arrived on last train

• 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:28 pm

Alright! Thanks for the detailed response! :good:

If the oil is indeed coming from the drive shaft seal in a fine mist, then that would explain how it gets spread all over the rear of the engine. Will order a new seal and see if it fixes the problem.

Although, if I leave it as is, I guess it works kinda like an automatic chain oiler :hide:

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:57 am

:lol:  chain and tyre oiler.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 rustyscrew

rustyscrew

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:17 am

Pic of my gear selector with the right nutAttached File  1467022527563-104747267.jpg   76.42KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users