#1 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:52 am

Just picked this up on a news feed. Interesting but nothing too threatening, the only thing of note for bikes might be the addition of HID bulbs. I haven't seen a draft of the bike MOT yet though.

> > > > >

Advisories are being replaced with minor fails. These are all pre written & approved by DVSA. You will still get a pass but they will be noted on your test certificate. Manual advisories are still being worked out but may disappear completely.

Those of you who have changed your standard headlight bulbs for HID's will now get a major fail even if the aim is correct. It has always been an offence to fit HID bulbs to halogen headlamps so the MOT is now in line with that.

Reverse lights are now part of the MOT for any car registered from 1st September 2009 (59 plate onwards). Daytime running lamps (DRL's) & front fog lamps must work on vehicles registered from March 2018 (18 plate onwards).

Engine Management Light is now a major fail. It must come on with the ignition and then turn off when the engine is started.

Brake pad warning lights are a major fail

Handbrake with excessive travel is now a major fail. Before it would only a fail if there was no reserve travel.

Contaminated (dirty) brake fluid is a major fail. Not sure how that will work as the MOT tester isn't allowed to remove the fluid cap.

Oil leaks (engine, gearbox etc.) can be a major failure if they are deemed large enough.

It seems they have removed the failure for tyres not being fitted according to sidewall instructions. Inner/outer or rotation incorrect.

Any modifications/removal to emissions related devices, this includes DPF'S and EGR's is now a major fail.

Where a DPF canister has clearly been cut open and re-welded, it will now fail.

A vehicle fitted with a DPF that emits any kind of visible smoke during the metered test will now fail

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:30 am

Bike mot test is a farse anyways and tings would have to be quite terrible to fail!!!

Really glad to hear about HID lights as people are getting very selfish with starship type lights on both cars and Boikes. About time.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:52 am

What about LED lights  ?- I've replaced a couple of standard headlight bulbs with LED's

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#4 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:07 pm

No MOT for 1970 or earlier bikes/cars or non commercial busses (buses if ya modern like), LGV still need to be inspected 

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#5 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:12 pm

No MOT for 1970 or earlier bikes/cars or non commercial busses (buses if ya modern like), LGV still need to be inspected 

1977 now

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#6 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:23 pm

MOT not VED matey

#7 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:59 pm

Don't think these changes will make my Son any Happier
He qualified as MOT tester just before Xmas
Out of the Twenty or so Mot's that he's done he has only passed One
And that was only because he put a bulb in so he could get his first pass

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:06 pm

Good on him. not seen many done correctly.... Particularly boike.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#9 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:27 pm

Just cars for him
Apparently DUNDEE has one of the Highest first time Mot Failure rates

Saying that my Bike failed on front disc warped
and loose chain
Replaced the disc and tightened chain still got an advisory on chain
Chain was still to loose for His liking

#10 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:43 pm

MOT not VED matey

I beg to differ
https://www.autocar....rrives-may-2018

https://www.bennetts..._year_old_bikes

Edited by drewpy, 21 January 2018 - 09:44 pm.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#11 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:50 pm

An ya do right - newspaper was incorrect :punishment:

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:06 am

They've just changed it to align with an EU directivewotsit haven't they ? From May no MOT or VED for vehicles 40 years or over.

#13 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:24 pm

An ya do right - newspaper was incorrect :punishment:

:P

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:26 pm

What about LED lights  ?- I've replaced a couple of standard headlight bulbs with LED's

Thats a toughy

The HID problem (as far as cars are concerned at least) is that where the lens and housing are not designed for HIDs, and if HIDs are fitted...(and this is a grey area)....some testers would apply the construction and use regs which says that any HID headlight must have a wash/wipe system and a self leveling mechanism.  The problem being addressed is the issue which occurs when the lens is dirty with road grime or salt, when a HID light produces an exceptional amount of unfocused glare from the lens's dirty surface.

Whether that is the same for a bike or not I don't know, but it seems like they're applying the type approval regs much more firmly than they ever did before, and those regs are all about the vehicle being presented for a test in it's standard form just like when it first passed type approval.

And I could be very wrong too !

#15 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:38 am

Just cars for him
Apparently DUNDEE has one of the Highest first time Mot Failure rates

Saying that my Bike failed on front disc warped
and loose chain
Replaced the disc and tightened chain still got an advisory on chain
Chain was still to loose for His liking

Took me 3 different garages and 2 MOT test stations to get them to agree what actually needed done to pass the blasted car MOT in December in the Hilly City...

Edited by CrashTestDuffy, 23 January 2018 - 10:38 am.

#16 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:08 pm

Took the little Grom in for a MOT today and got 2 advisories for  a 1.2k bike: a bent clutch lever :blink: and a chain hovering around the loose limit. Aren't all clutch levers bent? Crikey, I won't be getting my tatty ol' 9er MOTed in Penrith if this is the exacting standard they insist on. It'll have to be Carlisle or Newcastle. 

Edited by muddy, 30 January 2018 - 05:08 pm.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#17 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:17 pm

Took the little Grom in for a MOT today and got 2 advisories for  a 1.2k bike: a bent clutch lever :blink: and a chain hovering around the loose limit. Aren't all clutch levers bent? Crikey, I won't be getting my tatty ol' 9er MOTed in Penrith if this is the exacting standard they insist on. It'll have to be Carlisle or Newcastle.

Get to know them so they know you're not a random visit by mot inspectorate..

#18 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:06 pm

Get to know them so they know you're not a random visit by mot inspectorate..

That could explain it. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users